Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign RHD John Klingberg (1 year, $4.15M) | UPD 11/23: LTIR

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
This Gustafson nonsense needs to stop. The guy got $825k, so it was quite obvious nobody in the league thought this guy was much of anything

Not to mention Dubas traded for him and he didn’t play much under Keefe. He was clearly a throw in and the previous front office and coaching staff didn’t see his value and wouldn’t play him.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
This Gustafson nonsense needs to stop. The guy got $825k, so it was quite obvious nobody in the league thought this guy was much of anything

It's actually more ridiculous that Klingberg got $4.1 million. But like I said his LTIR gave Treliving a mulligan on this signing so I'm not too mad about it.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I wonder when Toronto will use the additional cap space. Presumably they have to wait until he makes a decision on surgery.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yeah how much do the Leafs have?
I think it would be around $3.75 million (whatever is left on Klingberg's salary this season, I think). What we wouldn't know is whether the player and the team share the same opinion about what should happen next. Maybe Klingberg thinks that he can rest for a couple of months and see if there is sufficient improvement to play rather than undergoing surgery. After all, he has seen what happened with Backstrom after his surgery (assuming, of course, these are similar injuries).

Reactions: trellaine201

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Too bad for Klingberg but this is amazing news for the Leafs. It was obvious that Klingberg was not able to contribute to his strengths. He was hurting the Leafs. Now, how do we get rid of that slug Reaves?

Probably have to give an asset to make that happen but even if they kept him but demoted him, 200k is hardly unmanageable.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
If he was healthy and sheltered heavily he maybe would have been okay. With the injuries to McCabe and Lily plus his own physical limitations there wasn’t really a chance to see if he wasn’t 100% bad.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
872cw7.jpg

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Boston is probably looking for a Lucic replacement
I can't believe Boston would be that dumb, although, it would be worth the call. My problem with Reaves is that he didn't deliver what he was brought in here for. Klingberg also didn't deliverr on PP1 or his see his alleged good shot but at least he had injuries as an excuse. Reaves, during the first home game introductions, flexed his muscles like Hulk Hogan in his prime, fought his first two games which I liked, then thought he could play NHL hockey after that and the toughness and physicality disappeared.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Sometimes I kinda feel bad for Klingberg because it's looking more and more like he's never gonna sniff anything close to all that money he turned down.

Then I remember he's already earned $38M. Pretty hard to feel sorry for a guy in that position. God knows he can afford to buy a new hip with that kind of money.

He might even be a useful defenseman after the surgery.

Because he sure as hell isn't one now. There are plenty of terms to describe John Klingberg. "Useful" isn't one of them.

Neither is "defenseman".

I'm not saying the Leafs should've re-signed Gustafsson. But I'm not not saying it either. All I know is that a team hurting for cap space should be looking to get as much bang for their buck as possible.

Giving one of the worst defensemen in the league $4M to shoot pucks into the opponents shin pads every night isn't it.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Too bad for Klingberg but this is amazing news for the Leafs. It was obvious that Klingberg was not able to contribute to his strengths. He was hurting the Leafs. Now, how do we get rid of that slug Reaves?
Send him down and just take the $200k cap hit

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I can't believe Boston would be that dumb, although, it would be worth the call. My problem with Reaves is that he didn't deliver what he was brought in here for. Klingberg also didn't deliverr on PP1 or his see his alleged good shot but at least he had injuries as an excuse. Reaves, during the first home game introductions, flexed his muscles like Hulk Hogan in his prime, fought his first two games which I liked, then thought he could play NHL hockey after that and the toughness and physicality disappeared.
Well they did sign Lucic in the first place……..

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Not to mention Dubas traded for him and he didn’t play much under Keefe. He was clearly a throw in and the previous front office and coaching staff didn’t see his value and wouldn’t play him.
He was Sandin's replacement, but had more NHL experience. Sandin lost his spot when McCabe was acquired, so they just needed a 7D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad