Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Mark Fraser to PTO

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I don't want him anywhere near the team during the regular season, but a good guy to have with the Marlies and in preseason.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Don't like it.

This is obviously a Lou move, but hopefully we start seeing less of them lol

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I like Lou's stamp here.

Leafs released toughness in the organization pre-Lou and Lou signs an enforcer with the Marlies and opens the door for Fraser.

I guess some things just can't be captured in a ratio.

Maybe we won't be as soft as the red wings without the skill.

Liking Lou's vision already

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I have a feeling this is a reward for past service with the Leafs and Jersey - give the a high visibility audition for 29 other teams.

This is the right answer.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
When was signing a guy to a PTO even something you can criticize? I couldn't care less if they signed some of your grandmothers to a PTO, the worst that can happen is they get used as roster filler in split squad games for the road half....

Imagine if these guys actually play their way on to the roster and earn a spot?

Babcock awarding ice time based on merit? The horror.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like Lou's stamp here.

Leafs released toughness in the organization pre-Lou and Lou signs an enforcer with the Marlies and opens the door for Fraser.

I guess some things just can't be captured in a ratio.

Maybe we won't be as soft as the red wings without the skill.

Liking Lou's vision already

A shame that his vision is being wasted on Mark Freaking Fraser and an AHL plug likely to play in Florida for most of the year.

He better get his 'vision' checked.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's only 28 still for god sake. He might be in the zone where past injuries are just that. His fitness level and health are possibly going to be better than a couple of years ago.

The devil's played him a average of 16:16 a game and his possession numbers would be interesting to see in this thread. He was basically a #6 dman for them.

I like him and might be coming into a stage of his career where he is simply poised and expierenced enough to overcome his lack of footspeed. His positional play was always fairly good in the past with us. Maybe he is even better now. We'll see. Cool with me inviting him.

This is a all Lou invite.

PTO's cost us little and if the player wins a spot, so much the better, if not, they can either sign with the Marlies, or another AHL team, or possibly with a European team, maybe even another NHL team

These are my thoughts too. We apparently have the smartest and brightest Front Office in the NHL. If they see value in Fraser to offer him a PTO contract, thus, merit will be the decider if he makes The Leafs. Then I see no harm in this move. Competition is never a bad thing.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
The year that the Marlies made it to the Calder Cup Final, Fraser and Holzer were the first pairing shutdown defenders. If Fraser hasn't lost a step, he can be a useful support piece in the organization., helping stabilize the young prospects.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
A shame that his vision is being wasted on Mark Freaking Fraser and an AHL plug likely to play in Florida for most of the year.

He better get his 'vision' checked.

Do you like the idea that all players will compete for ice time and that any position is earned or does that apply to just certain players?

A player is signed to a try out contract. People have been lauding Babcock and Lou as supreme leaders and judges of talent.

If Fraser earns a spot.. Wtf? Who is anyone here to criticize that??

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
We all understand that the TO in PTO stands for Try Out? Right?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Do you like the idea that all players will compete for ice time and that any position is earned or does that apply to just certain players?

A player is signed to a try out contract. People have been lauding Babcock and Lou as supreme leaders and judges of talent.

If Fraser earns a spot.. Wtf? Who is anyone here to criticize that??

You're talking about vision and bringing in players that fits his vision (or 'stamp'). Nothing about those 2 moves shows vision or any sort of philosophy. They signed a depth AHL player and a PTO to a player desperate for work that perhaps could be useful if the current depth players regress or get beaten. What about the better players signed to PTO's like Boyes and Glencross? What kind of vision do we have here?

In my opinion, Fraser is a pretty terrible defender. Speaking of his recent travels and play, I tend to be right here. If this is the ace up Lou Lamoriello's sleeve... we're in trouble. And considering we're pretty much at the contract limit, wasting a contract spot for him to me is a pretty big waste.

I did say earlier that he'll have to play some of his best hockey to earn a contract, at least at the NHL level, or earn one because the competition is weak. If he earns the contract, then I'm fine with it. Either way, I'm fairly indifferent about Mark Fraser.

Fraser is from the Blackburn area, where I live and coach. His picture is framed up and displayed at the Blackburn arena. I do hope he can find a pro contract. I just don't think he's a good player, that's all.

Last edited:

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Getting the feeling many of you guys want to pick deep down in the draft next year. That's not the program. I would like to see Mark in 80 Leaf games next year. We need a top-5 pick again, not squeak into the playoffs.

Also guys like Phaneuf will not be forced to do the fighting any more (you don't want your tradable assets injured) and our young talent in AHL/NHL will not be bullied by other teams' slugs.

This will not be the Detroit Red Wings. This is about continuing the plan of selling off veteran assets and picking early.
Keeping the assets as healthy as possible to make that happen.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
You're talking about vision and bringing in players that fits his vision (or 'stamp'). Nothing about those 2 moves shows vision or any sort of philosophy. They signed a depth AHL player and a PTO to a player desperate for work that perhaps could be useful if the current depth players regress or get beaten. What about the better players signed to PTO's like Boyes and Glencross? What kind of vision do we have here?

In my opinion, Fraser is a pretty terrible defender. Speaking of his recent travels and play, I tend to be right here. If this is the ace up Lou Lamoriello's sleeve... we're in trouble. And considering we're pretty much at the contract limit, wasting a contract spot for him to me is a pretty big waste.

I did say earlier that he'll have to play some of his best hockey to earn a contract, at least at the NHL level, or earn one because the competition is weak. If he earns the contract, then I'm fine with it. Either way, I'm fairly indifferent about Mark Fraser.

Fraser is from the Blackburn area, where I live and coach. His picture is framed up and displayed at the Blackburn arena. I do hope he can find a pro contract. I just don't think he's a good player, that's all.

The vision is probably two fold. Find filler for the next couple of years so you don't burn a year of contract for the young guys.

And I suspect Lou won't want a team as soft as Detroit even when the rebuild is done.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
PTO's and One year signings, are probably only for one year and I don't think any player will get big money, or a long term contract, they are for the most part, holding a spot for a young player in the system, or a player we trade for, so in the first year of the rebuild, we are not going to be very good, nor will we have a lot of high priced players, as we move forward.

Later as we add better players, like prospects and trades, the cap costs will rise and most of these players now being signed, will be footnotes of this rebuild but flexability now is very important.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Marcinin needs waivers...and to be honest i'd rather see what I have in Marcinin then what I already know Fraser is.

That's what I thought. And yeah, Fraser's pretty much a low end #7D at best. Especially ever since he had his skull literally caved in. Whatever, this feels like more of a favor by Lou to a former soldier to give 29 other teams visible exposure of him and give him another shot in the NHL, in that case. But yeah, I'd rather get a good look at Marincin since he's still got some upside.

Either way, it's a PTO. Not gonna complain unless pen is actually put to paper and it isn't an AHL deal. Then, I'm going to be a bit unhappy.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The vision is probably two fold. Find filler for the next couple of years so you don't burn a year of contract for the young guys.

And I suspect Lou won't want a team as soft as Detroit even when the rebuild is done.

Adding Fraser on a PTO definitely won't fix our softness issue. He also won't make us better.

He's a depth player at his best. I have no idea why he has 4 pages worth of comments nor do I know how he's the poster boy of vision and stamps as you procclaimed.

That's it that's all. Once he's cut, which I'm expecting to happen, we can all move on and keep complaining how soft we are and why Fraser wasn't signed to bring in a wealth of toughness we really lack... wooooooo.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
I'm just going to assume this is a favour for Mark in hopes he can find work elsewhere. There should be no reason he gets an NHL contract with this club.

I appreciate what Fraser did for the Marlies, but even then it's a tight squeeze.

Phaneuf, Polak, Robidas, Rielly, Gardiner, Hunwick, Marincin, Percy, Finn, Nilsson, Harrington, Loov, Valiev, Granberg all under contract.. not to mention the likes of Campbell who probably brings the same type of role Fraser would (on an AHL deal).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Fraser will likely accept an AHL contract after camp to play and protect the Leafs future on the Marlies.

Leafs will not want Nylander, Kapanen, and others abused in the AHL without fear of retribution.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Does he even fight and hit much anymore? he seemed like a ghost after he took that puck to the head

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Does he even fight and hit much anymore? he seemed like a ghost after he took that puck to the head

He had 45 PIM's in 18 games with Albany (AHL) and he had 55 PIM in 34 games with the Devils.

He doesn't have nearly as much as he did since the head injury. To be fair to him though, the fights have decreased a lot since the shortened season and he doesn't play a lot because he's not a very good hockey player in general.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Fans want Leafs and Marlies to play the same system. Check

Fans want Marlies to be able to jump into the big club seamlessly. Check.

Fans all understand confidence is usually what separates players of equal skill. Check.

Fans agree that confidence and protection in the AHL is necessary for our best assets. Check.

So why in this logical universe would some cling to the idea that having a similar brand of hockey at both levels is a bad thing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad