Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jamie Devane to a 2 year deal

Number13

May 21, 2007
I was at a Marlie game a year or so ago, and one of the Marlies players scored a goal...as he was turning away from the goal to celebrate he got cross checked pretty good...sadly for the player who cross-checked the goal scorer Devane was standing at the side of the net watching...Devane proceeded to pummel the player...
There was no cross checking penalty called...
Sadly players like Devane are necessary to protect the skilled players in some circumstances...especially since referees have a habit of letting things go...
Devane can also play a bit...will probably develop into a tough 4th liner...

It was against Cody Sol. I'm a huge Devane fan, glad we locked him up.

here's the fight:
http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/116310

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets now

Leafs ink Jamie Devane to a 2 year contract. The Mississauga native led the Marlies in penalty minutes last season with 146. #TMLtalk.

Orr and McLaren gone soon?

McLaren was gone last season. He spent a large part, including the stretch run, with the Marlies.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
my dream is for Devane to turn into a 4th liner like the Kings have, guys that lay the body and cause havoc primarily...but if things get chippy they drop the gloves.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Devane shows flashes of being an actual useful hockey player every once in a while. He has a good shot and some offensive instincts. I hope he can get some consistency

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Devane and Broll are modern day Enforcers. Guys that can drop the gloves but can play hockey, and their games don't revolve around fighting like Orr and McLaren.

Anywho, it is pretty obvious Orr/McLaren are doneso in the NHL, at least with us. Throw them on waivers and give them a shot elsewhere, if not both can sit in the pressbox/have 4th line duties in the AHL for a year before moving on.

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
Most players are healthy scratches at some point, especially towards the end of the season when you get players from the CHL. There are simply too many players that need to be put in the lineup. Even good AHL scorers get scratched when you start sending down guys like Holland and Smith who are also good AHL scorers. He did rotate in and out of the lineup with McLaren ever since he was sent down. McLaren is probably ahead of him on the depth chart though just because they're fairly similar but McLaren is more experienced. Orr will be on the team but I dont think he'll play that much. You never know if Devane impresses in preseason again but McLaren is definitely ahead of him at this point if for no other reason than the fact that Devane is easier to keep in the AHL as he's younger. And Devane hasn't really fought NHL heavyweights either, so if he does play there's a good chance it's at the same time as one of Orr or McLaren Both will definitely play for the Leafs at some point next season

I was at a Marlie game a year or so ago, and one of the Marlies players scored a goal...as he was turning away from the goal to celebrate he got cross checked pretty good...sadly for the player who cross-checked the goal scorer Devane was standing at the side of the net watching...Devane proceeded to pummel the player...
There was no cross checking penalty called...
Sadly players like Devane are necessary to protect the skilled players in some circumstances...especially since referees have a habit of letting things go...
Devane can also play a bit...will probably develop into a tough 4th liner...

Thanks for the update. I don't know much about him. I do think that there's still room in the game for guys like that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I see a day Tyler Biggs, Sam Carrick and Jamie Devane on the 4th line. Biggs hopefully has enough upside this year to make it to the 3rd line. But I do see this being a solid 4th line. All 3 are good defensively that killed PIMS for their Junior teams.

This could be a terrific 4th line one day. LA showed you need 4 strong lines to win the Cup. Day is perhaps here, that 4th line player is not chopped liver.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Danny Grabovski @dannyd1976
FWIW I met Shanahan last month and asked him if he thought there was still a place for fighting in hockey. He said no, which is encouraging.
9:02 PM - 10 Apr 2014

Tyler Biggs*

This team needs to get tougher & rougher specially in the corners, Leafs looked like "Ballet Dancers" the last half of the season. If you cannot take the heat get out of the kitchen....

Tyler Biggs*

Devane is not a total goon...45 points in 59 games in his final year of OHL. He needs to get more minutes and work his way on to the 3rd line of the Marlies and his points should come up. Last year he was playing with Staubitz, who is a real anchor, only 4 points.

Devane had some nice goals in the preseason, you can see that he is not devoid of talent and exceeds Orr and McLaren:

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=446380

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=444803

He is true heavyweight, but because he is still waiver exempt you can keep him on the farm and bring him up as needed, without committing to a regular roster spot.

A true heavyweight, that might actually be able to play, he could be useful. Give him more minutes on the Marlies, let him play with better players to see what he can do.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
This is two-way right?
In any case, an upgrade over Orr or McLaren. Now trade Orr.

I don't think that matters really, unless the contract is over 925k, can't hurt the cap at all. Even if it's not an upgrade at the NHL level, glad he'll be patrolling for the Marlies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad