Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Jamie Devane to a 2 year deal

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'd like to see a little more of him, Broll and Biggs in spots this year on the 4th line in place of injuries. These are the guys we should be bringing along for those roles. Komarov is a great re-add for this year, but we still need more rugged real NHLers on the 4th line.

Crash Test Domi*

I'd like to see a little more of him, Broll and Biggs in spots this year on the 4th line in place of injuries. These are the guys we should be bringing along for those roles. Komarov is a great re-add for this year, but we still need more rugged real NHLers on the 4th line.

Orr and McLaren are perfect 4th liners.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Orr and McLaren are perfect 4th liners.

Uuuuummmmmmmm Orr is done. He doesn't really do anything out there. McClaren is good is short spurts. I would like to see Devane and Broll in the line up and see what they bring to the table instead of Orr and Bodie

HockeyGuy82

Jan 22, 2011
Ottawa
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets now

Leafs ink Jamie Devane to a 2 year contract. The Mississauga native led the Marlies in penalty minutes last season with 146. #TMLtalk.

Orr and McLaren gone soon?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
wasn't Devane a healthy scratch in the Calder Cup playoffs last year with FML playing instead? Obviously Devane has more room to develop but at this point I don't think he's ahead of Orr/McLaren on the depth chart.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Why the **** is penalty minutes viewed as a positive. Enforcers should just try to get as many game misconducts and tripping penalties as possible then.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
wasn't Devane a healthy scratch in the Calder Cup playoffs last year with FML playing instead? Obviously Devane has more room to develop but at this point I don't think he's ahead of Orr/McLaren on the depth chart.

Devane dressed for 2 AHL playoff games last year and also played in 55 regular season ones.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013

Most players are healthy scratches at some point, especially towards the end of the season when you get players from the CHL. There are simply too many players that need to be put in the lineup. Even good AHL scorers get scratched when you start sending down guys like Holland and Smith who are also good AHL scorers. He did rotate in and out of the lineup with McLaren ever since he was sent down. McLaren is probably ahead of him on the depth chart though just because they're fairly similar but McLaren is more experienced. Orr will be on the team but I dont think he'll play that much. You never know if Devane impresses in preseason again but McLaren is definitely ahead of him at this point if for no other reason than the fact that Devane is easier to keep in the AHL as he's younger. And Devane hasn't really fought NHL heavyweights either, so if he does play there's a good chance it's at the same time as one of Orr or McLaren Both will definitely play for the Leafs at some point next season

zoA

Mar 23, 2010
The people who think Devane is just an enforcer really need to watch him more. He has some skill and should be able to continue to develop into a 4th liner that can play those 8-10 minutes a night. He works with Barb a lot and he's shown progress as a player, so people shouldn't be crapping on him just because he is an absolute monster of a fighter.

The 4th line was a huge rotation last year because of all the players that were on the Marlies. Biggs, Broll, and Ross were subbing in and out of the lineup, and unfortunately McLaren got the seniority treatment in the playoffs.

Happy to have Devane signed, I think he has a future with the Leafs.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why the **** is penalty minutes viewed as a positive. Enforcers should just try to get as many game misconducts and tripping penalties as possible then.
It's not a positive, it's a way for the media to spin it in a positive light however. When that's your "stat" it just means you're another goon and there's nothing else about your game that's noteworthy.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
He's definitely a face puncher and I know people want to get away from these type of players on the team. He's 23 and has shown some skills for the type of player he is. I think he's got alright hands for a huge fighter and at the very least, he fits a role if the circumstances arise where we need to dress a fighter.

I'd rather give him a shot over Orr or McLaren if Carlyle demanded a fighter on the roster. Can interchange with Bodie on some nights if need be.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Most players are healthy scratches at some point, especially towards the end of the season when you get players from the CHL. There are simply too many players that need to be put in the lineup. Even good AHL scorers get scratched when you start sending down guys like Holland and Smith who are also good AHL scorers. He did rotate in and out of the lineup with McLaren ever since he was sent down. McLaren is probably ahead of him on the depth chart though just because they're fairly similar but McLaren is more experienced. Orr will be on the team but I dont think he'll play that much. You never know if Devane impresses in preseason again but McLaren is definitely ahead of him at this point if for no other reason than the fact that Devane is easier to keep in the AHL as he's younger. And Devane hasn't really fought NHL heavyweights either, so if he does play there's a good chance it's at the same time as one of Orr or McLaren Both will definitely play for the Leafs at some point next season

Good to know, thanks.

crkkh

Aug 13, 2010
Toronto
I was at a Marlie game a year or so ago, and one of the Marlies players scored a goal...as he was turning away from the goal to celebrate he got cross checked pretty good...sadly for the player who cross-checked the goal scorer Devane was standing at the side of the net watching...Devane proceeded to pummel the player...
There was no cross checking penalty called...
Sadly players like Devane are necessary to protect the skilled players in some circumstances...especially since referees have a habit of letting things go...
Devane can also play a bit...will probably develop into a tough 4th liner...

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
This is two-way right?
In any case, an upgrade over Orr or McLaren. Now trade Orr.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good for Jamie, now all Nonis has to do is not trade him. Devane is a player we invested a lot of development into.

For those that want to call him a goon, he is more than just a fighter. The guy has nice hands and obviously a physical element that makes him valuable.

Leafs did a nice job developing Jamie, close to reaping the rewards now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad