Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Grundstrom to ELC (see post #98)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I noticed Grundstom shoots left but is listed as a RW. Nice to know he can probably play different positions. If he tracks like it looks he will, he will be another salt of the earth player with some finishing skills around the net ala Komorov or Brown that Babcock loves. Maybe an eventual replacement for Komorov if when he gets moved or decides he wants to go back to Europe at the end of his contract.

Linnarhult

May 6, 2006
Apparently, Kyle Dubas has been in talks with Frölunda GM (and former Leafs player) Fredrik Sjöström about Grundström. In a blog post, written by Frölunda beat writer Henrik Leman, Sjöström had this to say:

– They (Leafs) like us and our organization, they don't have any problem with him (Grundström) staying another year.

Source (in Swedish)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Apparently, Kyle Dubas has been in talks with Frölunda GM (and former Leafs player) Fredrik Sjöström about Grundström. In a blog post, written by Frölunda beat writer Henrik Leman, Sjöström had this to say:

Source (in Swedish)

Makes sense. No harm in staying for another year and develop at home. We must keep in mind that a lot of these young players can look really good in short spells but it is really unrealistic to believe every one will be like Marner, Willy and Matthews.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Makes sense. No harm in staying for another year and develop at home. We must keep in mind that a lot of these young players can look really good in short spells but it is really unrealistic to believe every one will be like Marner, Willy and Matthews.

To be fair, even Willie spent a couple seasons in the minors.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd

Source (in Swedish)

At least he won't be killed by that **** Dutchin in the AHL

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
My 2nd highlight montage for Carl Grundstrom (#44).., who plays Right Wing Position with the 2016-17 Frolunda HC team.., in the SHL.., with Team Sweden's 2016-17 WJC U20 (#16), International Juniors & International Men's teams...

Carl also made his Pro debut this past season, being called up to the Toronto Marlies, in their 2017 Calder Cup Playoff quest..,
with his first 4 PRO/AHL points... (3 goals & 1 assist)...

600.jpg

Carl Grundstrom
Right Wing -- shoots L
Born Dec 1 1997
19 yrs. ago
Height 6.00 -- Weight 194

Drafted by Toronto Maple Leafs
Round 2 (#57 overall) 2016 NHL Entry Draft

RECENT STATS:

2015-16 - MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik J-20 - Super Elite
1 Game... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... -1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 - MODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik - SHL
49 Games... 7 Goals... 9 Assists... 16 Points... -2
2016 RELEGATION GAMES
7 Games... 1 Goals... 3 Assists... 4 Points... +1
2015-16 - Team Sweden U20 - WJC-20
7 Games... 1 Goal... 0 Assists... 1 Point... +1
2016 - Team Sweden U20 - International Junior
20 Games... 4 Goals... 4 Assists... 8 Points... +2
2015-16 - Team Sweden U20 - WJC-20
7 Games... 3 Goals... 4 Assists... 7 Points... +5 *PPG
*2016-17 - Frolunda HC - SHL
45 Games... 14 Goals... 6 Assists... 20 Points... +6
*2016-17 - Team Sweden U20 - WJC-U20
7 Games... 3 Goals... 4 Assists... 7 Points... +5 *PPG
*2016-17 - Team Sweden U20 - International Junior
15 Games... 11 Goals... 8 Assists... 19 Points... +10 *PPG+
*2016-17 - Team Sweden - (Men's) International
2 Games... 0 Goals... 0 Assists... 0 Points... +1
*2016-17 - Frolunda HC - CHAMPIONS HL
13 Games... 4 Goals... 4 Assists... 8 Points... +/- 0
*2017 SHL PLAYOFFS
14 Games... 1 Goal... 1 Assist... 2 Points... -4
*Toronto Marlies - *2017 AHL PLAYOFFS
6 Games... 3 Goals... 1 Assist... 4 Points... -6

This video includes: some of Carl's goals and assists with Frolunda HC.., in 2016-17..; assorted goals and assists with Team Sweden 2016-17, in the WJC-U20 & International games...; clips from a May 19th 2017 interview after finishing his extra long year with the Marlies.., in the 2017 Calder Cup Playoffs..; his three goals and one assist in the playoffs... and other various 2016-17 clips & photos...

Raising The Ceiling: Carl Grundstrom 2016-17 SHL, WJC & Marlies Playoff Highlights - TML (HD)

Last edited:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Grundstorm reminds me of Kulemin in his play

I have no problem spending another year in SHL

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The SHL is a solid developmental league, provided that the player is on a good team and not a bottom of the barrel team nearing relegation.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Another year in Sweden means the Leafs get back that contract spot, correct?

I do not believe they will get it back. It will also not slide, seeing as he was signed in the same calendar year as he turned 20. That is why I am somewhat confused as to why they gave him an ELC if they weren't planning on him playing with the Marlies for this season.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012
I do not believe they will get it back. It will also not slide, seeing as he was signed in the same calendar year as he turned 20. That is why I am somewhat confused as to why they gave him an ELC if they weren't planning on him playing with the Marlies for this season.

My guess, because they can bring him over at any point if they don't like the situation he's in over there. If it looks like a gongshow they have the ability to bring him back whenever, like Nylander from Modo.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To reward him for a solid season and ensure we keep his rights (although, it is highly unlikely he wouldn't be signed in 4 years). Frolunda has a solid track record, so if we decide it's best to give him a major role there, I'd trust the decision. Froluna is much more trust-worthy development-wise than Rogle, which is a tricky situation.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton

Are you certain? Because I thought they would...

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think he is going to play for Marlies and might see some action with the Leafs as a call up (at some point)

Pholus

May 23, 2014
To reward him for a solid season and ensure we keep his rights (although, it is highly unlikely he wouldn't be signed in 4 years). Frolunda has a solid track record, so if we decide it's best to give him a major role there, I'd trust the decision. Froluna is much more trust-worthy development-wise than Rogle, which is a tricky situation.

First of all, everything you say is true, Frolunda certainly has a good track record developing NHLers and I have 0 problem with Grundstrom choosing that team to continue his development with. The reason I'm not really sure about the move is the timing. If the Leafs already thought that he would be back in Sweden, then it makes more sense as an organization to not him an ELC until after he comes over. That way, you maximize the amount of time he spends in your system being paid less than he's worth; since he won't be an elite player, there would be very little savings by getting him off his ELC and onto his 2nd contract asap (the way Nylander seems to be going) since his next contract would almost certainly be closer to Hyman's $2.5x4 than anything the big 3 will get, or even like Rielly's deal. IMO, the biggest savings would be gained by still having him on his ELC during his 3rd season in NA.

I'm not sure how clear that was, so here's a better representation:

Had they not signed him they could have done this:
2017-18: back with Frolunda
18-19: year 1 of ELC
19-20: year 2 of ELC
20-21: year 3 of ELC
21-22: year 1 of 2nd contract

Instead, it seems they will be doing this:
2017-18: back with Frolunda on year 1 of ELC
18-19: year 2 of ELC
19-20: year 3 of ELC
20-21: year 1 of 2nd contract

I believe that by the 20-21 season, Grundstrom will be capable of playing a regular role in the NHL, and that the savings in cap hit they would have garnered on him during that season would be worth more than "rewarding him" for his developing by signing his ELC now (since his ELC won't slide)and sending him back to Sweden.

Now, having said all that, I realize this is a very minor issue and completely irrelevant if he ends up with the Marlies for 2017-18. I just feel that this type of attention to detail will become important when the big 3 are all making $7m+ on their next contracts and the Leafs will be severely limited in the amount of money they have to provide the depth necessary to compete for a Cup (compared to how much cap space they have now).

Are you certain? Because I thought they would...

I'm not certain, I just think I remember seeing somewhere that if Liljegrin goes back to Sweden he still counts against the 50 contract limit. If Liljegrin counts, than Grundstrom would count, too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
The CBA says...

"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights including
all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:

(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3
goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit.

Any Club violating this provision shall be liable to loss of draft choices as determined by
the Commissioner.

(b) Unsigned Draft Choices.

It specifically mentions 1 exception where a player doesn't count against the 50 contract limit. I'd imagine if being signed and going back to Europe was an exception they would also have mentioned it. That's the only real exert in the CBA about it.

Andreas Johnsson was signed and sent back to Sweden in 2015/16 and IIRC his contract counted against the limit but don't quote me on that because I'm not certain. It didn't slide, though he played 2 games in the AHL playoffs that year but I don't think it was sliding nor not counting before that either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad