Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Grundstrom to ELC (see post #98)

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I can definitely see Grundstrom getting a call at some point this season. I can see him being the perfect Komorov replacement or possibly even on Matthews wing. He plays a heavy 200ft game and has the skill to put the puck in the back of the net.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I can definitely see Grundstrom getting a call at some point this season. I can see him being the perfect Komorov replacement or possibly even on Matthews wing. He plays a heavy 200ft game and has the skill to put the puck in the back of the net.

he was just playing for his SHL team before coming to this tournament im not sure if it was pre season games or the champions league but the fact he played some games there already I think he will return to sweden after this tournament

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
he was just playing for his SHL team before coming to this tournament im not sure if it was pre season games or the champions league but the fact he played some games there already I think he will return to sweden after this tournament

I believe that it's understood between the organizations that he is heading back to Sweden after this tournament (unless he possibly sticks around for camp?).

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Yeah I think he becomes an important top 6 guy.

Marleau/UFA - Matthews - Marner
Grundstrom - Nylander - Kapanen
Hyman - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Martin

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
I still want to see Grundstrom get a little stronger so he can be more Komarov and less Soshnikov. I think he's a little more reckless than Leo and is going to need the strength to play with that kind of intensity consistently. I think he'd really benefit from a year here in the AHL.

Is it common to come over and play the playoffs and then return to Europe? I thought that was generally a permanent move.

Mayuu

Mar 10, 2017
I still want to see Grundstrom get a little stronger so he can be more Komarov and less Soshnikov. I think he's a little more reckless than Leo and is going to need the strength to play with that kind of intensity consistently. I think he'd really benefit from a year here in the AHL.

Is it common to come over and play the playoffs and then return to Europe? I thought that was generally a permanent move.

It's not unheard of, but he's still "under contract" with Frölunda, that is if Toronto would release him he would default to Frölunda. Since he's drafted out of 1st round Frölunda can refuse to let him play in AHL (deal between SIHF and NHL).. so unless he makes the NHL rooster chances are small that he plays in the AHL (chance being he wants to play in the AHL like Tom Nilsson)

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
It's not unheard of, but he's still "under contract" with Frölunda, that is if Toronto would release him he would default to Frölunda. Since he's drafted out of 1st round Frölunda can refuse to let him play in AHL (deal between SIHF and NHL).. so unless he makes the NHL rooster chances are small that he plays in the AHL (chance being he wants to play in the AHL like Tom Nilsson)

Thanks for the info. I suppose I'll just have to enjoy watching the Leafs and wait another season for him.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The inevitable happened today. I knew Babcock would love this player. I think he is above Kapanen in Babcocks mind. Babcock admires hard working players and Hyman, Brown and Soshnikov have heard his praises publicly. Quote from yesterday, Babcock goes out of his way to mention Grundstrom. Leafs need a Grundstrom type player on Marner's line. Marner has never had that element so far as a pro.

“(Carl) Grundstrom looks like a real hockey player to me,” Babcock said of the forward. “Every day he has the puck, every day he skates faster than everyone else. Every day he is more physical and every day he shoots the puck in the net.

“Pretty soon even a smart guy like me catches on and goes, ‘Hey, this guy might be alright.’

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
grundstrom does look damn good. fast, gritty, hands, confidence. another better option than hyman for the top line.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
grundstrom does look damn good. fast, gritty, hands, confidence. another better option than hyman for the top line.
Grundstrom like to cycle up high. That does not substitute the Hyman role. Hyman digs in the corner behind the net. Also Grundstrom looks to get his shot off, usually in the high slot, so if he's cruising around they how is he digging the puck out of the corner as Hyman would be doing?

Mayuu

Mar 10, 2017
If Grundström would manage to snatch a spot with leafs this year that's an impressive feat, he surely would be missed in Frölunda this year, as someone said earler he is a buzz saw!

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Grundstrom like to cycle up high. That does not substitute the Hyman role. Hyman digs in the corner behind the net. Also Grundstrom looks to get his shot off, usually in the high slot, so if he's cruising around they how is he digging the puck out of the corner as Hyman would be doing?

But doesn't playing higher up open that much more room for cross-rink plays?

Personally, I see Grundstrom on the Kadri line, pushing Komarov to the 4th line with Moore and whomever. This should be a gradual transition...so who knows--Komarov and Grundstrom could very well play with one another.

In terms of on-ice performance, Komarov is the best defensive forward...so it's gonna be a little messy as the lineup takes form.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman Matthews Brown
Marleau Kadri Komarov
JVR Bozak Marner
Grundstrom Nylander Kapanen

How do you stop that group.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
But doesn't playing higher up open that much more room for cross-rink plays?

Personally, I see Grundstrom on the Kadri line, pushing Komarov to the 4th line with Moore and whomever. This should be a gradual transition...so who knows--Komarov and Grundstrom could very well play with one another.

In terms of on-ice performance, Komarov is the best defensive forward...so it's gonna be a little messy as the lineup takes form.

grundstrom wont make it this year, and if they think he will next year they wont sign komarov again. either way i dont think they resign komaorov anyway

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
grundstrom wont make it this year, and if they think he will next year they wont sign komarov again. either way i dont think they resign komaorov anyway

Grundstrom has clear NHL potential but as he showed last year in the SHL, he looses his edge once the seasons long grind kicks in. And that is only natural for young players.
And it would be mistake to let him play in the NHL this season. He must play one or two more seasons in either the SHL or AHL To get his strength and stamina up.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
He deserves to make the team. He should be on it. It is time we traded one or more of JVR, Bozak, Komarov. We have the depth up front to mitigate most of the loss in terms of offensive production, and other than Komarov, the replacements for JVR and Bozak would be a boost defensively.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He deserves to make the team. He should be on it. It is time we traded one or more of JVR, Bozak, Komarov. We have the depth up front to mitigate most of the loss in terms of offensive production, and other than Komarov, the replacements for JVR and Bozak would be a boost defensively.

I agree we should trade one or more of those 3 but im not sure Grundstrom deserves to be on the team yet he has played one OK pre season game. I think kapanen who played 6 really good playoff games deserves to be on the team, I also think leivo deserves a shot at decent run in the team but doesn't have a track record really. Grundstrom I think will be going back to the SHL IMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad