Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign G Martin Jones (1 year, $875k)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Tre’s depth signings have been nice - Jones, Benoit and Lagesson all contributing really well for AHL depth. And IMO the Bert and Domi signings have been good too.

Klingberg and Reaves were the two massive misses, a major part of us playing better as a team has been having these two out of the lineup. I also think they’re especially egregious signings because they’ve both been complete and utter liabilities for a few years now - what was Tre thinking? I don’t blame him for Sammy, that was a very tough to predict implosion (and he also did well giving Sammy just 1 year), but Klingberg and Reaves, he should have know better, these guys were already clearly terrible.

But his other signings, especially Jones, very nice. We’d be in rough shape with the Woll injury and Sammy falling apart if not for having such a good #3 ready to step in.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Meh Samsonov was coming off a year where he was very very good.

Jones had been awful for 5 straight years.

Ding Ding ding... exactly. Goaltending can be unpredictable.

Samsonov could come back from his mental reset vacation, and once again, be very very good.

Woll will come back soon, and likely will be very, very good.

Despite some poor historical stats, Jones has been very good. Noting.. he was also the reason Seattle made the playoffs last year. He won 27 games for them... he was just... good enough. They might not even make the playoffs this year... though really, to attribute that to him alone, would be a massive stretch at best.

Particularly when our team actually plays good team D. It's no co-incidence that our goalies look better, when the team plays better in front of them.

We need to be patient... thankfully Jones has excelled for us. If Woll can come back, and return to form, with Jones backing up, the way he's recently played... great. If Samsonov can return to form... even better. I don't think we are in a bad spot here.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not if you have a GM who knows what to look for.
Lmao. Yeah, Treliving clearly knew this would happen. That's why he sent him through waivers and had him in the AHL for 2 months. :laugh::eyeroll:
I guess no GM "knows what to look for", considering that none of them claimed him.
I wonder how the other goalie that he signed for 3.55m is doing.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ding Ding ding... exactly. Goaltending can be unpredictable.

Samsonov could come back from his mental reset vacation, and once again, be very very good.

Woll will come back soon, and likely will be very, very good.

Despite some poor historical stats, Jones has been very good. Noting.. he was also the reason Seattle made the playoffs last year. He won 27 games for them... he was just... good enough. They might not even make the playoffs this year... though really, to attribute that to him alone, would be a massive stretch at best.

Particularly when our team actually plays good team D. It's no co-incidence that our goalies look better, when the team plays better in front of them.

We need to be patient... thankfully Jones has excelled for us. If Woll can come back, and return to form, with Jones backing up, the way he's recently played... great. If Samsonov can return to form... even better. I don't think we are in a bad spot here.

Talent isn't the reason I don't trust Woll It's his injury history, he's always been injury prone, he can put up solid numbers but if he can't stay healthy it doesn't matter.

Said it before and will say it again, Jones has been great and we have needed it
But I will never be fully comfortable with Martin Jones as the #1 guy, 11 games doesn't erase 5 straight years of garbage.

As for Samsonov he shouldn't get another opportunity, I'm sure he will, probably against Detroit because that's part of a back to back but he should NEVER get another opportunity with this team, his decline started in the playoffs last year when he let in 3 or more goals in 6 of the 8 games he finished, he sucked then but nobody noticed because the offense carried him to a 1st round series win.

Now It's reached disgraceful levels.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Jones has been very good this season so far, but Seattle made the playoffs in spite of him last year. He was actually their worst goalie. He won games because Seattle scored a lot with unsustainable conversion, and their drop back is primarily them now converting below average.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Jones has been very good this season so far, but Seattle made the playoffs in spite of him last year. He was actually their worst goalie. He won games because Seattle scored a lot with unsustainable conversion, and their drop back is primarily them now converting below average.
How’s Seattle doing this year since they got rid of Jones?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Jones has been great for us. It was a fantastic signing. But re-signing him for anywhere near 3M is insane.
We have a 5 year sample size of him being very mediocre at best coming into this season and a 12 game sample size of him being a world beater.
Signing him now based on the 12 games and ignoring the previous 5 years would be a terrible idea
And 5 of those games have been against San Jose (2x), Anaheim and Columbus...

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
How’s Seattle doing this year since they got rid of Jones?
The Seattle team is doing worse this year, since they are no longer converting at an unsustainably high rate, and are now converting below average.
Seattle's goaltending is doing better since they got rid of Jones.
Not sure why we can't just be happy that he's helping us so far.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
We got a lot of good hockey out of him in a pinch but looks like we are at the point of diminishing returns now.
It's not fair to expect anything more out of Jones. There is no way the Leafs, or anyone else for that matter, including Jones, ever contemplated that by the midpoint of the season he would have played 17 games for the Leafs.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I’m shocking the world and starting Martin Jones in game 1 vs. Boston.

It’s a Hail Mary but that’s where we are.

I’m also pulling the goalie after every 2 goals, running 3 goalies. Desperation !

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Nice, he’s almost doing as well as Mr. Jones 1.98GAA and a .934 save percentage

Shall we check back in on these guys?

Joey Daccord went 18-18-11 with a .916 save percentage and a 2.45 GAA. Meanwhile Jones ended up 11-7-1 with a .908 save percentage and 2.70 GAA

One of them clearly seems to be better than the other, and that doesn't even factor in the the quality of each team in front of them.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Jones in tonight ?

IMG_8179.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad