Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign G Martin Jones (1 year, $875k)

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If Jones can keep this up (and there's no rush to make any decision yet), I could see a cheap extension around 1.5-2 mil.

Would certainly help navigate the teams up coming tighter cap year next season, especially with Woll already locked in for dirt cheap
If Jones can be signed for less than $3m id happily do it. Getting him and Woll for a combined say $3.5ish is almost as good as where they're at this year. Cap space will be even more precious next season, and you can't get much better bang for your buck in net than that. There's certainly tandems out there thatre much worse and cost much more

Reactions: Jmo89

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
His gaa is surpringly good he only had 2 years in his 10 year career when it was above 3.0
3.28 on the 26th place sharks
3.42 on the 29th place flyers

Reactions: JKG33

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
His gaa is surpringly good he only had 2 years in his 10 year career when it was above 3.0
3.28 on the 26th place sharks
3.42 on the 29th place flyers
He's not a world beater, but he's a reliable and cheap vet. I've always been somewhat impressed with him, and never understood the hate he gets. San Jose and Philly were some awful teams when he started to get shit on by fans/media

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
He's not a world beater, but he's a reliable and cheap vet. I've always been somewhat impressed with him, and never understood the hate he gets. San Jose and Philly were some awful teams when he started to get shit on by fans/media
Always happens when a guy gets bought out too.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Experience.

Jones has posted a 32-27 record alongside a 2.36 goals-against average and a .917 save percentage in 63 career playoff games.

Jones also won the Stanley Cup with Los Angeles in 2014.

Internationally, Jones captured a gold medal with Canada at the IIHF World Championship in 2015 and also helped Canada win a silver medal at the 2010 IIHF World Junior Championship.

Looks like Treliving might have saved the Leafs season from the inherited disaster of Samsonov/Murray.

1704897109169.png

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This guy has been amazing so far.

Really goes to show what a crapshoot goalies are, considering he had a good case as the worst NHL goalie in the league for the previous half decade, with -74.9 GSAx.

Hope he keeps it up.

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I said when he was signed that teams sometimes need to turn to their 3rd goalie for a stretch. I said I was confident in Jones if he had to play a 10 game stretch.

Well, he's past 10 games now, and he's been far better than anyone had any reason to believe. What keeps impressing me is rebound control. That's been a serious problem for the more athletic and "entertaining" type goalies the Leafs have had recently. Samsonov/Mrazek, for example.

Reactions: Buds17 and ACC1224

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
34 years old (it's his birthday today!) and been bad for years now, with 12 games of good play. Make no mistake, I think he's been terrific for us since stepping up, really helping save our season, but this is the exact kind of guy you avoid giving any sort of big contract to. Two years at cheap backup money (1.5m) if he wants to sign now, doesn't even sniff a bigger deal until he's played 30 games this year.

Really, really impressed by this run of play. Really, really skeptical of goalies in general. This is a guy with a massive body of work to draw on, don't be fooled by the voodoo.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
34 years old (it's his birthday today!) and been bad for years now, with 12 games of good play. Make no mistake, I think he's been terrific for us since stepping up, really helping save our season, but this is the exact kind of guy you avoid giving any sort of big contract to. Two years at cheap backup money (1.5m) if he wants to sign now, doesn't even sniff a bigger deal until he's played 30 games this year.

Really, really impressed by this run of play. Really, really skeptical of goalies in general. This is a guy with a massive body of work to draw on, don't be fooled by the voodoo.
Well Happy Birthday Mr. Jones

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

So far so good, he is just making the saves he has to make. I don’t think he needed to make any extraordinary saves. This team has played really well in front of him, insulating him very well.

Let’s see how he holds up once the schedule gets a little tougher here. Better teams will test him more, let’s see how he does.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Yea, the Campbell and Samsonov debacles have jaded me more than a bit on hyping up guys in our crease. The good news with Jones is that he is doing this with worse defensive numbers from the Leafs compared to those other guys and Jones has been pretty solid in the playoffs as well.

Looking forward to see how Woll responds when he comes back and hopefully we get two guys really pushing each other to take the net down the stretch. Hopefully, at worst, we have two top end guys going into the playoffs for once and that our biggest issue (the other team has the goalie advantage) can be negated.

Reactions: LeafGrief

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
So far so good, he is just making the saves he has to make. I don’t think he needed to make any extraordinary saves. This team has played really well in front of him, insulating him very well.

Let’s see how he holds up once the schedule gets a little tougher here. Better teams will test him more, let’s see how he does.
I think the key point is how the team has played. They have been much, much better overall, and Jones has benefitted from that, including quite a few games where has had ample goal support. I think he will be fine even as the competition improves simply because of how the Leafs are playing. I expect they will win the next three in a row, and then we'll see what happens on the Western Canada trip.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
With the exception of 1 year, Jones has some very nice post-season stats.
Too much for any San Jose goalie to overcome Thornton and Marleau in the playoffs.
You can rest a bit easier. We have a GM who actually knows what a goalie looks like now.

Not if you have a GM who knows what to look for.
GMs are just looking for #3 goalies with a pulse. Fortunately Jones adapted and has (so far) thrived in a new situation with the Leafs. Good on him.

Reactions: Shooter2x

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
If Jones can be signed for less than $3m id happily do it. Getting him and Woll for a combined say $3.5ish is almost as good as where they're at this year. Cap space will be even more precious next season, and you can't get much better bang for your buck in net than that. There's certainly tandems out there thatre much worse and cost much more
Jones has been great for us. It was a fantastic signing. But re-signing him for anywhere near 3M is insane.
We have a 5 year sample size of him being very mediocre at best coming into this season and a 12 game sample size of him being a world beater.
Signing him now based on the 12 games and ignoring the previous 5 years would be a terrible idea

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

I don't think anyone thinks or would want to see him signed to any type of contract that is committal in money and years.

He's providing the team exactly what it needs as a 3rd stringer right now. A stop gap while one is injured and the other is a lost cause trying to rediscover his game. A signing at the time that was given nothing more but a passing thought, but has proven to be the best and most crucial one.

If Treliving believes Woll is and can be the guy, and that Jones is an adequate backup with the ability to fill in as the de facto #1 when needed, I'm comfortable with that type of backup money deal you suggest so Jones can be our new version of McElhinney.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
So says our resident goaltending expert.
1704903915736.png

It's always fun to declare yourself an expert after the fact. Back in August 2023, Sammy was better. Jones isn't without his historic lumps and bumps either. May I remind you that San Jose bought him out.

"Now the three years after that? Not so good. He had a cumulative .896 save percentage, has sat around 20 wins and has a goals-against average that ballooned over 3 last season. Jones was the goalie of the future for San Jose and with his lacklustre play; he hindered the team financially for a long time."

So yes, as of right now Samsonov is garbage, but last year he was solid! Jones is amazing! But in 2021...he was garbage.

It absolutely could be the case that those riding high on Jones after only 15 games played, will have buyer's remorse this time next year. Wanna make a post predicting the long term viability of Martin Jones?

Go for it.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
You can rest a bit easier. We have a GM who actually knows what a goalie looks like now.

Meh, tribal nonsense.

From the day got Campbell (Feb. 6, 2020) - January 14th, 2022:

Top 5 goalies with over 2000 minutes played:

1. Saros: .930
2. Campbell: .928
3. Shesterkin: .927
4. Vasy: .923
5. Varlamov: .922

Last season's top goalies:

1. Ullmark
2. Gustavsson
3. Sorokin
4. Helle
5. Swayman
6. Saros
7. Samsonov
8. Oettinger
9. Georgiev
10. Shesterkin

Both of these guys are now scrub AHLers.

Just because Jones (who was put on and passed through waivers this season) has been amazing for 12 games has nothing to do with who is GM but I do hope is a case of us getting finally lucky with a guy who meshes with our system well and can remain consistent, hopefully, combined with the ascendence of Woll of a legit NHL starter and both can push this into the playoffs.

I'm just happy Tre seems to be continuing the tradition the last few years of being able to do a great job minimizing the misses from the offseason while getting some great hits but the playoffs will still be the great test of course, and nothing will be more important than our goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad