Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign G Martin Jones (1 year, $875k)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
875k even if in the AHL is a decent salary and actually he makes more money if he's in the AHL versus NHL because no escrow for AHL players.

I just see this as a nice upgrade on Kallgren.

This

1691847018776.png

vs.

1691846925238.png

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No question the team around a goalie impacts his stats, and wins is a team based stat but the goalie in net does track along the lines lines of wins, losses and OTL

If Martin Jones can win 27 games for a 2nd year expansion team which is the same amount Sammy won in net for the Leafs last year and both tied for 11th overall in the NHL.

Unless one believed the Seattle offense and defense is > Leafs offense & defense then it suggests Martin Jones moving to a stronger team can only help him record more wins and better GAA & SV% stats.

Leaf fans should feel confident should Sammy or Woll get hurt that the Leafs have a real solid security blanket in Jones to believe they could play him and still record wins in the standings.

The Leafs are certainly a better team than the Kraken, but I don't think you can extrapolate that just because he got X amount of wins with Seattle he will be able to necessarily repeat or improve upon that . Going through his game logs from last season, there's an awful lot of bad games (seems like a lot of those 27 wins were the Kraken winning on the backs of their skaters than beacuse of his play)

I think he's a good signing for a #3, but ideally he will play well under 27 games (let alone need to get 27 wins) for the team

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The Leafs are certainly a better team than the Kraken, but I don't think you can extrapolate that just because he got X amount of wins with Seattle he will be able to necessarily repeat or improve upon that . Going through his game logs from last season, there's an awful lot of bad games (seems like a lot of those 27 wins were the Kraken winning on the backs of their skaters than beacuse of his play)

I think he's a good signing for a #3, but ideally he will play well under 27 games (let alone need to get 27 wins) for the team
There is a reason they didnt start him in the playoffs and opted for the sub .900 goalie playing at an 86 pt pace on the same roster instead.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

If all goes well, I'd be OK if Martin Jones didn't even play a single game for the Leafs as their #3 and remained simply as insurance and Samsonov and Woll split all the games.

However if things don't go well and either of Leafs goalies do miss time, I'm fairly confident that if Martin Jones was forced into action with his experience and his track record last year in Seattle that he would be able to win games for the Leafs. Leafs offense to bail out Jones > Seattle and Leafs defense > Seattle so the Leafs skaters being able to bail out Jones even with a sub .900 sv% exists.

If a goalie on a weaker team can post Wins then its even more likely the odds increase in front of a better team, because they provide more offense (Goals For) and defensively (Less GA) and surrender less shots and high quality scoring chances against also.

Remember Petr Mrazek in 2021-22 won 12 of his 18 starts with a 3.34 GAA and .888 sv% because the Leafs team bailed him out & Jones is a better player than Mrazek.

1691884204556.png

Worst case scenario even if Martin Jones only matched Mrazek games and Wins next year as a #3 goalie for $875k cap space that would fantastic outcome of this signing.

PS. Leafs last year paid backup Matt Murray $4.687 mil AV for 26 games and 14 wins,

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
There is a reason they didnt start him in the playoffs and opted for the sub .900 goalie playing at an 86 pt pace on the same roster instead.
Seattle only made the playoffs in the first place because Martin Jones played in 48 games and posted a record of 27-13-3 = 57 points of the Seattle's 100 point season in 2022-23.

Only 10 goalies last year posted more regulation wins than Martin Jones as he finished tied for 11th overall same as Samsonov., Without that there would've' been NO playoffs for the Krakken.

1691886457686.png

Grubauer played in 39 games and only won 17 games with 4 OTL points = 38 points in the standings with the other 5 points coming from 3rd stringer Joey Daccord.

At Grubauer's pace 38 points in 39 games = .974 points/game = [80 point pace for 82 games played] = Non playoffs. :thumbd:

FYI: Martin Jones @ 57 points earned in 48 games = 1.1875 points/game = [97 point pace for 82 games played] = Playoffs (Flames finished with 93 points ) :thumbu:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Seattle only made the playoffs in the first place because Martin Jones played in 48 games
No, Seattle made the playoffs because they were able to overcome Jones' bad goaltending (worst on the team) with other parts of their team.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If you type Martin Jones Super Hero into your google search this is what comes up as an actual image.

1691888254716.jpeg

If you type Martin Jones Stanley Cup into your google search this is what comes up.

1691888387531.jpeg

So this is what Brad Treliving has brought in as Leafs #3 goalie for only $875k AAV.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Seattle only made the playoffs in the first place because Martin Jones played in 48 games and posted a record of 27-13-3 = 57 points of the Seattle's 100 point season in 2022-23.

Only 10 goalies last year posted more regulation wins than Martin Jones as he finished tied for 11th overall same as Samsonov., Without that there would've' been NO playoffs for the Krakken.

View attachment 735639

Grubauer played in 39 games and only won 17 games with 4 OTL points = 38 points in the standings with the other 5 points coming from 3rd stringer Joey Daccord.

At Grubauer's pace 38 points in 39 games = .974 points/game = [80 point pace for 82 games played] = Non playoffs. :thumbd:

FYI: Martin Jones @ 57 points earned in 48 games = 1.1875 points/game = [97 point pace for 82 games played] = Playoffs (Flames finished with 93 points ) :thumbu:
So many words to say so little.

Seattle opted not to sign Jones. They opted not to play him in playoffs. They overcame the poor goaltending he provided. Why try to complicate it? Thats how you embarrassed yourself last offseason

Ps - when you work out the stats, use GS instead of GP, otherwise you end up with incorrect paces like all of what you just posted. Where all 3 goalies played below the pace Seattle ended with

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Ok come on who has really watched a lot of Martin Jones last season? He played 1 freaking game in the playoffs and it was him coming in for a pulled goalie. Seattle surprised me but I can't say I watched much of them.

I'm happy we got a good backup for dirt cheap - I don't need anymore than that.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
To take it a step further, if jones ends up playing 10 games for the Leafs it will mean that things have gone sideways.
I think he'll be dressed for 20+ games with the Leafs, but not solely as a starter. I think he'll do fine too, spelling the inured/under-performing incumbents and our winning percentage will remain the same. Don't forget to allow for The McElhinney Factor in his development.

Reactions: banks

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think he'll be dressed for 20+ games with the Leafs, but not solely as a starter. I think he'll do fine too, spelling the inured/under-performing incumbents and our winning percentage will remain the same. Don't forget to allow for The McElhinney Factor in his development.

He won't be called up unless injury. Plus.....his .887 sv% was one of the lowest in the entire league. Seattle won in spite of him, not because of him.

He has not had a sv% over .900 since 2017/18.

He's not any answer. He is purely insurance.

Reactions: Gallagbi

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
He won't be called up unless injury. Plus.....his .887 sv% was one of the lowest in the entire league. Seattle won in spite of him, not because of him.

He has not had a sv% over .900 since 2017/18.

He's not any answer. He is purely insurance.
Kallgren was 11-6-5 with an .892 over 24 appearances and 2 seasons with the Leafs.

I will take whatever Jones delivers with a BIG smile on my face.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Kallgren was 11-6-5 with an .892 over 24 appearances and 2 seasons with the Leafs.

I will take whatever Jones delivers with a BIG smile on my face.
I think Jones would have pretty similar numbers, but barring injury I'm not sure he even sees an NHL game this season.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Anyone have any ideas on the Marlies goaltending situation? Would Jones and Petruzelli split?

I think Jones would have pretty similar numbers, but barring injury I'm not sure he even sees an NHL game this season.
I think you have to expect injuries on any team, let alone one like ours with questions on health and consistency in net.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Anyone have any ideas on the Marlies goaltending situation? Would Jones and Petruzelli split?

I think you have to expect injuries on any team, let alone one like ours with questions on health and consistency in net.

The question I would have is how much the Leafs are investing in Petruzelli vs the recently drafted Dennis Hildeby. Hildeby has been putting up some serious numbers for Farjestads so you wonder if he's here in North America to be a Marlie or if he's okay going to the Growlers for extended stretches.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

I think the plan was Hilderby and Petra were going to split with Petra getting the edge, but Jones being there likely changes things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad