Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign free agent prospect Jacob Quillan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I believe he'll be in the Marlies line-up tonight. Should be interesting to see how he does through the end of the season / playoffs. Now get Webber signed when his season is up.
Coach said he’s starting on the wing, you’d think on an energy line to start and get his feet wet?
Chadwick’s junior year is over, so hope he’s brought in soon too.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Next year... :dunno:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Marner
Cowan - Tavares - Nylander
Quillan/Knies - Minten - Jarnkrok
McMann - Kampf - Reaves

Rielly - ??????????
Benoit - Lyubushkin
Edmunson - Timmins

Samsonov - Woll - Jones
You need to realize if Leafs lose first round again Cowan is Mariners replacement. We need defense, we create wingers at will. Cowan will be better than Marner at a fraction of the cost. We can't carry 3 NMC. Marner must sign a normal contract for failure this year. I'd trade Marner for a Tckachuk anyway and don't have to waste all that cap. If Marner doesn't deliver this year it's time to move on. Remember Dubas is now a proven moron.Its not debatable. His legacy is garbage.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
What did you do with McCabe and Liljegren?

No way you move McCabe to keep Edmundson and Boosh instead of Liljegren is a step backwards.
Keeping Edmunson and Lyubushkin over Liljegren is not a step backward he doesn't do anything well. He Isn't good defensively, isn't good offensively, isn't physical. He's a Rielly 2.0 just nowhere near as good and Rielly isn't even that good, Rielly is decent offensively, horrid defensively.

• Haha
Reactions: Zacman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Keeping Edmunson and Lyubushkin over Liljegren is not a step backward he doesn't do anything well. He Isn't good defensively, isn't good offensively, isn't physical. He's a Rielly 2.0 just nowhere near as good and Rielly isn't even that good, Rielly is decent offensively, horrid defensively.

If Liljegren can be swapped out along with a pick and some other stuff for a guy we really want, I see that as a win. He’s alright but when you only need to fill 6 regular defensive slots you kind of have to choose carefully. If you get a couple of top 4 guys who can do more than Lily and have more size, snarl, etc. you don’t necessarily need a Boosh lower down.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Marlies and Growlers still need to ice teams. This is a good signing. Maybe down the road he may get NHL tea who knows

For now, we will have few players leaving Marlies end of year. Need to constantly keep filling in the cup
Well, maybe the Marlies, anyway?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
You need to realize if Leafs lose first round again Cowan is Mariners replacement. We need defense, we create wingers at will. Cowan will be better than Marner at a fraction of the cost. We can't carry 3 NMC. Marner must sign a normal contract for failure this year. I'd trade Marner for a Tckachuk anyway and don't have to waste all that cap. If Marner doesn't deliver this year it's time to move on. Remember Dubas is now a proven moron.Its not debatable. His legacy is garbage.
Can you be clear about your views?🤣🤣🤣🤣👍
Marner is one heck of a player, but you are right, something is missing...at 10.5m$.
If he was a 7.5m or 8m$ that allowed us to have that number 1 dman (brodie plus 3 would help) this team could win. At 7.5m everyone would love him. He is a mercenary kind of guy from my seat. He is not the pig in the bacon and eggs, he is the chicken.
Then again, maybe it is coaching.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
:laugh: That's some pretty funny stuff right there.

• Haha
Reactions: kb

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Marner is one heck of a player, but you are right, something is missing...at 10.5m$.
If he was a 7.5m or 8m$ that allowed us to have that number 1 dman (brodie plus 3 would help) this team could win. At 7.5m everyone would love him. He is a mercenary kind of guy from my seat. He is not the pig in the bacon and eggs, he is the chicken.
Ya, Cowan being better is a massive stretch too.
I like the Vega model, hopefully we can start going that route with Tavares coming off the books and trading Marner. Keep Matthews and Nylander, then round out the team with more reasonable cap hits.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I will be the first to put down Keefe, but with Marner it’s between the ears.

All world skill but still pulling stupid stuff that belongs in Junior.

Seems like when he’s out with Matthews it turns into cutesy pootsy shit time, every time.

Don’t hate Marner, but I hate what he’s going to ask for next season and we’ve proved can win without him.

Wish he’d been traded for a buttload when it was a viable option but we need a deeper cast of players with $12m.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I will be the first to put down Keefe, but with Marner it’s between the ears.

All world skill but still pulling stupid stuff that belongs in Junior.

Seems like when he’s out with Matthews it turns into cutesy pootsy shit time, every time.

Don’t hate Marner, but I hate what he’s going to ask for next season and we’ve proved can win without him.

Wish he’d been traded for a buttload when it was a viable option but we need a deeper cast of players with $12m.
I agree with that assessment. He seems to look for the pretty play a lot of the time instead of the simple play. I think that's one of the reasons he was so sensitive about his ankle injury because he could have just shot it at the open net but wanted to lap around and galaxy brain the whole thing and got injured.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
If Liljegren can be swapped out along with a pick and some other stuff for a guy we really want, I see that as a win. He’s alright but when you only need to fill 6 regular defensive slots you kind of have to choose carefully. If you get a couple of top 4 guys who can do more than Lily and have more size, snarl, etc. you don’t necessarily need a Boosh lower down.
What would we need to add to Liljegren + Robertson for Larsson or Borgen?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Guaranteed to happen this summer.

Reactions: horner

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Liljegren isnt at high value right now but he has use to us. You expect other teams to pay what for him? Simply dumping him when you have no young defenseman period, isnt that wise. The smarter move is to give him till next year to gain some value. If Im another GM Im not givng more than a mid 2nd rounder for him. Quinlan is playing with the Marlies, nice. Lets see what the kid can do.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Borgen? What... why? Larsson is 1 year away from being a UFA.

I don't understand why some are just so interested in giving away good young cost controlled assets for downgrades or 1 year band aids that will be 32 years old in November. It's crazy to me.

He's an easy target.
He's been around forever, but has less than 3 NHL seasons of games.

He'll be someone else' Benoit, and it will be a decade of discussion here.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
How has he looked? Anybody see him play with Marlies yet?

This signing took me by surprise. I didn’t know we were after him. I only know him from eliminating Knies last year. Reading reviews he is like most highly ranked prospects these days, high IQ, 200 foot game, not afraid of dirty areas. Etc etc. Maybe projects to be a tweener but solid third line centre? I learned at a younger age he was given exceptional status to play a level or 2 up. He looked like an 8 year old playing in the OHL lol.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Borgen? What... why? Larsson is 1 year away from being a UFA.

I don't understand why some are just so interested in giving away good young cost controlled assets for downgrades or 1 year band aids that will be 32 years old in November. It's crazy to me.
Borgen is debatable, but you absolutely trade Liljegren for Larsson and drive Lilly to the airport while you're at it. Are you even kidding? Yeah, he's a year away from free agency so you extend him. He's a legit top pairing defender, and the partner of Rielly's dreams.

I'm a Lilly fan but this is crazy towns. You have to give to get, and top pairing RD don't just grow on trees. Lilly is going to be making around 4M on his next deal and we don't even know yet if he's a established top 4.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Borgen is debatable, but you absolutely trade Liljegren for Larsson and drive Lilly to the airport while you're at it. Are you even kidding? Yeah, he's a year away from free agency so you extend him. He's a legit top pairing defender, and the partner of Rielly's dreams.

I'm a Lilly fan but this is crazy towns. You have to give to get, and top pairing RD don't just grow on trees. Lilly is going to be making around 4M on his next deal and we don't even know yet if he's a established top 4.
I think the issue is that we keep bringing in d-men who are at the end of their primes and maybe have a few years left in them. Muzzin, Brodie, Gio etc. All were still quite good additions when we got them, but their best years were also behind them and after 2-3 years they all fell off.

Besides Rielly, we don't really have any cornerstone d-men who can continue to grow with the team and provide value for a longer time frame.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
He's an easy target.
He's been around forever, but has less than 3 NHL seasons of games.

He'll be someone else' Benoit, and it will be a decade of discussion here.
A good bottom pairing defenseman on a cheap contract? :laugh:

I'd trade Benoit right now for Larsson if Seattle would do it. The level of delusion it takes to think Liljegren isn't worth trading for a top pair defenseman (even one that you have to extend) is next level. Larsson would be our best defenseman for the next 4-5 years based on the current roster.

Last edited:

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think the issue is that we keep bringing in d-men who are at the end of their primes and maybe have a few years left in them. Muzzin, Brodie, Gio etc. All were still quite good additions when we got them, but their best years were also behind them and after 2-3 years they all fell off.

Besides Rielly, we don't really have any cornerstone d-men who can continue to grow with the team and provide value for a longer time frame.
I mean that's a fair concern but that's true even of the defensemen we are likely to target in free agency (Roy, DeMelo, etc.). Muzzin and Brodie still gave us a good 3- 4 years before age caught up to them. We've extended our competitive window at least another 4 years with the Matthews deal. We need to capitalize on that, and even 3-4 years of a top pairing D would go a long way towards it. Lilly is 24 now and two years away from UFA status. He's due a raise this offseason somewhere in the neighborhood of Sandin's 4.6M x 5. That's a big risk unless you think he's 100% going to be a high quality top 4 D going forward and not just an average one.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
A good bottom pairing defenseman on a cheap contract? :laugh:

I'd trade Benoit right now for Larsson if Seattle would do it. The level of delusion it takes to think Liljegren isn't worth trading for a top pair defenseman (even one that you have to extend) is next level. Larsson would be our best defenseman for the next 4-5 years based on the current roster.

I'd trade any defenseman on the team for Makar or Hughes.

Then reality steps in.

It is kind of amazing how much better Larsson is now he isn't an Oiler.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad