Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Max Domi (1 year, $3M)

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Trade him to Boston for her:

1702943502444.png

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He's quickly becoming a heart and soul guy on the team. He's a great teammate too, you can just tell in his interviews, more comfortable and part of the mix.

This guy is ssssoooo much more dynamic than a Kerfoot.

I found it so silly to shit on the guy, and Bert too for that matter, at the beginning of the season. There are a ton of alpha dogs on this team, just let these known quantities settle in, find their role and voice, THEN judge. We're seeing now why October is irrelevant. Domi is a great add.

There is a contingent here that wanted these guys to be mediocre so they could point fingers at the new GM

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The only way for Knies to play in the top six is to move Bertuzzi to the first line. Which is doubtful.To hold against thug waves, it should be:

Gritty xxx - AM - Nylander
Bert - Tavares - Gregor
Knies - Domi - Marner

This way, there will be three balanced scoring lines. Gregor is not ideal on the second, but realistically, I doubt they could trade for two top six forwards with grit. The Leafs are going to face two of the toughest teams in Boston and Florida. I understand that everybody is still celebrating a table tennis victory against the clueless Dubas and Pens, but for me, it's clear that to compensate for the soft core, the Leafs have to bring a lot of grit to even have an outside chance of winning the division.
You say "the only way for Knies to play in the top six" is to have him in the third line?

Actually, the Knies - Domi - Marner line could be the second line over the Tavares one.

And swapping Nylander for Marner already makes the top line grittier.

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You say "the only way for Knies to play in the top six" is to have him in the third line?

Actually, the Knies - Domi - Marner line could be the second line over the Tavares one.

:laugh: Good one.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
How? Nylander makes that line way more dangerous offensively and has bigger cojones. Marner disappears in the playoffs almost every series. He will be sheltered on the third line and there he can be dangerous.

And yes, Domi's line can be the second. They still need to acquire serious dudes before the deadline to stand a chance.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How? Nylander makes that line way more dangerous offensively and has bigger cojones. Marner disappears in the playoffs almost every series. He will be sheltered on the third line and there he can be dangerous.

And yes, Domi's line can be the second. They still need to acquire serious dudes before the deadline to stand a chance.

I don't think Nylander makes that line grittier... Knies does. But Matthews and Nylander give the Leafs a stronger rush duo with unpredictable shooting/playmaking tendencies so if those two big guns are firing it's a more dynamic pair to park the bus. Knies is a bull in a china shop so his ability to create chaos will be harder to handle than Bunting's pest presence. (Although Bunting's hit on Cernak probably tipped the scales for Toronto in the Lightning series). All this is just chatter, they'll have to do it on the ice when time comes.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

I think you read it backwards - my fault.

Nylander on the top line makes it grittier than Marner on the top line. Not massively so, but a bit.

Reactions: arso40

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Jonas has tripled down on his Max Domi 3C slander. Don't recall him ever going so hard after a Dubas acquisition, but I digress.

Frankly, I'm tired of having a bottom 6 designed to do nothing but kill time and perform cardio. We've tried that formula for years and we got nowhere. It's no coincidence that our best playoff result with this core was when Dubas finally went out and got players who could help the bottom 6 score. And even then the guys he brought in ran out of juice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinto

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Jonas has tripled down on his Max Domi 3C slander. Don't recall him ever going so hard after a Dubas acquisition, but I digress.

Frankly, I'm tired of having a bottom 6 designed to do nothing but kill time and perform cardio. We've tried that formula for years and we got nowhere. It's no coincidence that our best playoff result with this core was when Dubas finally went out and got players who could help the bottom 6 score. And even then the guys he brought in ran out of juice.

Interesting - Domi is +3, and only Nylander has more ES assists. He has only two more giveaways than takeaways (JT has 5 more, Robertson has 9 more).

It's so bad it looks personal.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

What a ridiculous notion. It's been widely commented by even Keefe that shifting Domi to 3C has helped things click into place, send Kampf down to the 4th... and we're worrying about a Kerfoot replacement.

Feels like the entire Leafs media universe is pretty annoyed with Jonas' petulant complaining about Treliving. It was funny to hear Joe Bowen and the Overdrive crew rough him up the other day.

A few weeks ago Jonas went full 60 Minutes journalism on the topic of whether the Leafs did their medical due diligence on the John Klingberg acquisition... the same organization that traded for Matt Murray the year prior under old management.

Move to Pittsburgh already, man.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
What a ridiculous notion. It's been widely commented by even Keefe that shifting Domi to 3C has helped things click into place, send Kampf down to the 4th... and we're worrying about a Kerfoot replacement.

Feels like the entire Leafs media universe is pretty annoyed with Jonas' petulant complaining about Treliving. It was funny to hear Joe Bowen and the Overdrive crew rough him up the other day.

A few weeks ago Jonas went full 60 Minutes journalism on the topic of whether the Leafs did their medical due diligence on the John Klingberg acquisition... the same organization that traded for Matt Murray the year prior under old management.

Move to Pittsburgh already, man.
I don't want to get into the Jonas discussion, but there is a worthwhile discussion to be had about Domi.

It's a good signing, I am glad we signed him and I think he is bringing something to this team for sure.

I do worry about having Domi and Tavares as two of our top three centres come playoffs. We might get cratered when we are on the road and don't have the last change.

I could see a scenario where our third line is anchored by Kampf in the playoffs, particularly on the road. A Domi line might be our fourth line in sheltered minutes. He will get PP time and be great depth if JT or AM to down for a game or two. We handled Spezza the same way and I think Domi is bringing more offense that Spezza did.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't want to get into the Jonas discussion, but there is a worthwhile discussion to be had about Domi.

It's a good signing, I am glad we signed him and I think he is bringing something to this team for sure.

I do worry about having Domi and Tavares as two of our top three centres come playoffs. We might get cratered when we are on the road and don't have the last change.

I could see a scenario where our third line is anchored by Kampf in the playoffs, particularly on the road. A Domi line might be our fourth line in sheltered minutes. He will get PP time and be great depth if JT or AM to down for a game or two. We handled Spezza the same way and I think Domi is bringing more offense that Spezza did.

I think we could use another highly intelligent Calle Jarnkrok to throw into the mix as an all utility forward and Domi isn't perfect by a long stretch. His offensive production is not there and he's not as safe as Kerfoot was. I wouldn't bump up Kampf as I think giving him more responsibilities is the surest way to get bit in the behind. But feels like Jonas is carrying water for the previous regime having had strong and negative feelings about Domi.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Max Domi: 29 GP, 17 PTS., +3, 3M AAV. That has to lie within the neighbourhood of expectations, no?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Line 1: Knies-Matthews-Nylander
Line 2: Bertuzzi-Tavares-Marner
Line 3A: Robertson-Domi-Jarnkrok
Line 3B: Gregor-Kampf-Defensive Utility guy

Leafs don't need to blow a fortune like last year on another top 6 centre to put on the third line. They just need another defensively responsible veteran to be able to create a shutdown line when Keefe feels like giving Matthews a rest and doesn't trust Tavares' or Domi's line to hold the line.

A defensive, penalty killing winger will be cheaper to acquire and would put to bed concerns about a lack of defensice prowess in the forward group.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Domi is okay. Seagull is as clueless as Dubas. Domi is a plus player, playing with two bums and the Leafs' third defensive pair. If you know what I mean. Marner is the problem. He failed on the first line, and it's flying without him. Now he is dragging down the second line. Keefe is still hesitant about moving him to the third, but the writing is on the wall.

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
A defensive, penalty killing winger will be cheaper to acquire and would put to bed concerns about a lack of defensice prowess in the forward group.
They could also trade for expiring Kyle Okposo. Reunite Judas with Apostle Kyle:
Bert - Tavares - Okposo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad