Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Max Domi (1 year, $3M)

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
What a ridiculous notion. It's been widely commented by even Keefe that shifting Domi to 3C has helped things click into place, send Kampf down to the 4th... and we're worrying about a Kerfoot replacement.

Feels like the entire Leafs media universe is pretty annoyed with Jonas' petulant complaining about Treliving. It was funny to hear Joe Bowen and the Overdrive crew rough him up the other day.

A few weeks ago Jonas went full 60 Minutes journalism on the topic of whether the Leafs did their medical due diligence on the John Klingberg acquisition... the same organization that traded for Matt Murray the year prior under old management.

Move to Pittsburgh already, man.
Lost all journalistic respect for Siegel ages ago.

Now it just feels like he’s auditioning for Special Advisor to the GM role for for he HeWhoShallRemainNameless.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I think we could use another highly intelligent Calle Jarnkrok to throw into the mix as an all utility forward and Domi isn't perfect by a long stretch. His offensive production is not there and he's not as safe as Kerfoot was. I wouldn't bump up Kampf as I think giving him more responsibilities is the surest way to get bit in the behind. But feels like Jonas is carrying water for the previous regime having had strong and negative feelings about Domi.
I agree with your comments, especially the Jarnkrok one. I think in the playoffs it is different though. It is not just Domi, but Robertson? McMann? Reaves? I am not sure these guys will get much ice time when we want to play our top 6 a lot and use a shit down line.

I could see

Knies Matthews Nylander (16 ES minutes)
Bertuzzi Tavares Marner (16)
Jarnkrok Kampf Gregor (10)

Robertson Domi McMann (6)

Obviously, TDL and injuries could change that. Also depends if we are home or away and if we are protecting a lead or chasing it.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I don't want to get into the Jonas discussion, but there is a worthwhile discussion to be had about Domi.

It's a good signing, I am glad we signed him and I think he is bringing something to this team for sure.

I do worry about having Domi and Tavares as two of our top three centres come playoffs. We might get cratered when we are on the road and don't have the last change.

I could see a scenario where our third line is anchored by Kampf in the playoffs, particularly on the road. A Domi line might be our fourth line in sheltered minutes. He will get PP time and be great depth if JT or AM to down for a game or two. We handled Spezza the same way and I think Domi is bringing more offense that Spezza did.
I think Jonas is mostly a buffoon. Simply a terrible "journalist", and I put that wordsin quotation marks because he is really just a fanboy, and not even a fanboy of the team but of a former manager, which is awkward. That said, I think he is right about this issue. I don't think there is anyone in Leafs' management who wants Domi to be the third line centre, and I think there is zero chance that he slots into that position in the first game of the first round. It's all well and good to put him there in a game against Pittsburgh or Buffalo in December. If he is there in a game against Boston in May, he will be ineffective. It just isn't a role that suits him when the style of play in the game changes.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Jonas is mostly a buffoon. Simply a terrible "journalist", and I put that wordsin quotation marks because he is really just a fanboy, and not even a fanboy of the team but of a former manager, which is awkward. That said, I think he is right about this issue. I don't think there is anyone in Leafs' management who wants Domi to be the third line centre, and I think there is zero chance that he slots into that position in the first game of the first round. It's all well and good to put him there in a game against Pittsburgh or Buffalo in December. If he is there in a game against Boston in May, he will be ineffective. It just isn't a role that suits him when the style of play in the game changes.

Domi seems a little more involved and productive at 3C, which is not to say he’s an ideal 3C by a long shot.

Just seems like on a team with 3-4 holes to fill, stomping your feet over Domi feels like it’s about something else than Domi himself, and that’s organizational philosophy, some notion of process and ultimately who is the manager in charge.

Jonas flat out sucks. Whenever he’s on air with former NHLers and “intangibles” come up his default is a “but why??”

Reactions: LeafSteel

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Domi seems a little more involved and productive at 3C, which is not to say he’s an ideal 3C by a long shot.

Just seems like on a team with 3-4 holes to fill, stomping your feet over Domi feels like it’s about something else than Domi himself, and that’s organizational philosophy, some notion of process and ultimately who is the manager in charge.

Jonas flat out sucks. Whenever he’s on air with former NHLers and “intangibles” come up his default is a “but why??”
His obsession with Dubas is really strange. I don't think I've ever seen the media so spellbound by a manager in any sport. Even the guy that built an NBA championship team didn't have followers like this.

Reactions: fahad203

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I agree...not a chance in hell you trust Domi in the playoffs as the 3C. I would ring up Montreal and see what they want for Monahan...he would be pretty good in that slot since he has healed up from his injuries over the last couple of seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad