Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Auston Matthews to extension (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
The people hyping him back up after 2 games aren't any better. He has major consistency issues right now that he needs to sort out. Still doesn't look like the 60 goal hart trophy matthews we saw a couple seasons ago.

11 out of 13 of his goals are from the first 2 games of the season and these last 2 games.
In the season that Matthews won the Hart trophy how many goals and overall points did he have by November 7? Most, if not all, players have consistency issues at times. It's a long season.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
In the season that Matthews won the Hart trophy how many goals and overall points did he have by November 7? Most, if not all, players have consistency issues at times. It's a long season.
Not the point man - I don't know why everyone get so offended at obvious truths.

Matthews has the highest cap hit in the league - his expectaitons aren't of the everyday player - his expectations are to perform at Mcdavid's level if he is going to be paid like it.

Matthews consistency issue is a big problem - and it's even more apparent in the playoffs. And before anyone quotes McDavid's drop this season - please - this is his first time in years since he's had a drop and its rumored to be injury related

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Sheldon should sit Auston down and show him the video of #34's reaction after his second goal - right where he directly challenged the crowd to get into the game. Tell him if we see more of that the "C" will be taken off Tavares' jersey and put on his.

Because that brief moment of intensity, compete, etc. is exactly what this team needs in its captain.

Last edited:

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Imagine looking at our record through 12 games at 6-4-2 with Matthews leading the league in goals 13 and 5th in points (18) and thinking he’s part of the problem lol. Even the games he didn’t score this year he was getting dangerous looks in most of them, he’s only had maybe 1 or 2 games where he didn’t look like one of the best players on the ice. It’s nice to see them going in again in bunches.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Not the point man - I don't know why everyone get so offended at obvious truths.

Matthews has the highest cap hit in the league - his expectaitons aren't of the everyday player - his expectations are to perform at Mcdavid's level if he is going to be paid like it.

Matthews consistency issue is a big problem - and it's even more apparent in the playoffs. And before anyone quotes McDavid's drop this season - please - this is his first time in years since he's had a drop and its rumored to be injury related
I'm not sure where you got offended from, I was simply replying to the part where you said he didn't look like he did in the season where he won the Hart. He looks much, much better so far! And I definitely wouldn't say he looks like an everyday player, even when the puck isn't going in the net. Matthews drop off last year was rumored to be injury related too. I guess we'll see as the season goes on but so far he's looking like he's about to have his best season yet.

Of course just my opinion...

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Sheldon should sit Auston down and show him the video of #34's reaction after his second goal - right where he directly challenged the crowd to get into the game. Tell him if we see more of that the "C" will be taken off Tavares' jersey and put on his.

Because that brief moment of intensity, compete, etc. is exactly what this team needs in it's captain.

That was such an awesome moment! I'm not sure they'll strip the C off of Tavares but I do think it'll be his after his contract is up. He really seems possessed this year to me.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Has anyone noticed AM has a small "HART" on the palm of his hockey glove?
It was the first time I noticed last night....maybe next year he will have 2 :)
1699408935085.jpeg

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Imagine looking at our record through 12 games at 6-4-2 with Matthews leading the league in goals 13 and 5th in points (18) and thinking he’s part of the problem lol. Even the games he didn’t score this year he was getting dangerous looks in most of them, he’s only had maybe 1 or 2 games where he didn’t look like one of the best players on the ice. It’s nice to see them going in again in bunches.
Not a perfect stat but pretty sure he is leading the league in individual expected goals by a significant margin... even though his shooting percentage is likely a little too high it's not by any drastic amount, guy is actually just getting high quality chances at an insane rate right now

Just makes me laugh when someone will say he isn't consistent because he doesn't score in every single game... clearly haven't played hockey before to know that 1) even when your effort level doesn't waver you're going to have good and bad games and 2) not every good play is going to result in a goal for or a point or whatever... that's just the nature of the sport

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Not a perfect stat but pretty sure he is leading the league in individual expected goals by a significant margin... even though his shooting percentage is likely a little too high it's not by any drastic amount, guy is actually just getting high quality chances at an insane rate right now

Just makes me laugh when someone will say he isn't consistent because he doesn't score in every single game... clearly haven't played hockey before to know that 1) even when your effort level doesn't waver you're going to have good and bad games and 2) not every good play is going to result in a goal for or a point or whatever... that's just the nature of the sport
Being on pace for 89 goals and currently sporting a shooting percentage of 23% means he's going to go "cold" again. He's absolutely going to have another 3 or 4-game streak with no goals and even potentially no points. That may happen a few more times. Just need to ride those out and wait for the next wave. In the end it will still likely lead to an absurdly good total of goals.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
He’s clearly playing incredible right now… this is what happens when a guy who ranks among the very best in the world, jumps to the league lead within a dozen games.

And dishes up 3 hatties in those games to say… yeah, $13.25 x 4 is good for everyone.

Another season of NHL experience for Auston Matthews… I just can’t see him not getting it done these upcoming playoffs.

I already see him playing on another level in just the first dozen games.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

By Playing only one side of the puck and giving up bad exemple to rest of the team?

Maybe mcdavid should accept to reduce his pts to raise his defensive game because edmonton will never win anything that way.

Reactions: bax

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We had a significant amount of cap space this past summer. The roster is filled out with trash because the GM signed trash.

Looking around the league it looks like we could have done a Geekie, Soucy etc type and padded out the depth a little better.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
It's just a bizarre argument... because Matthews has been the most consistent goal-scorer on the planet since entering the league

Exactly, if we compare him to Pasta it's not even close ( this season might be an outlier).

All goal scorers are streaky, Matthews is the least streaky of the bunch. I can't recall anyone this consistent.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Looking around the league it looks like we could have done a Geekie, Soucy etc type and padded out the depth a little better.
Van's D looks a lot better and a little tougher with Soucy and Cole.

Hopefully Matthews can burn both of them

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Van's D looks a lot better and a little tougher with Soucy and Cole.

Hopefully Matthews can burn both of them

It all just comes down to whether the new adds are going to regress to their career averages or keep playing like they’re shell shocked they’re in Toronto.

Reactions: Jojalu

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5