Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign F Auston Matthews to extension (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

Oct 18, 2010
You think a team would pass on signing Matthews if they couldn't get him for 8 years?
That's crazy, any Team would be happy to get him for whatever they could.

Yes. He’s not a can’t miss player clearly. And the ones that are sign deals that you can win with.

It's not a garbage deal at all. All teams, especially the good ones, sign deals like these, and would happily do it to get Matthews.

Post the deals that have been like his please.

Reactions: Moonman

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well always have to fill out the roster with trash because our leaders are greedy. They don't care about winning.

This GM gave over 5M of cap space to Klingberg and Reaves. The problem isn't Matthews making a little over what he should make. He's world class.

This team can win with Matthews making 13M a year. They can't win with Reaves and Klingberg taking over 5M of cap space and that's on the GM/team for getting bad players on bad contracts.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He is playing in a different league at this point. Running away with the Hart trophy unless McDavid comes back and makes like Mario Lemieux.

Reactions: AvroArrow

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This GM gave over 5M of cap space to Klingberg and Reaves. The problem isn't Matthews making a little over what he should make. He's world class.

This team can win with Matthews making 13M a year. They can't win with Reaves and Klingberg taking over 5M of cap space and that's on the GM/team for getting bad players on bad contracts.

And then Bertuzzi taking another 5.5. None of these players will be back next season so hopefully his next moves are a little better

Reactions: thinkblue

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
We're looking at another 60 goal season and numerous people will rant about him and call him overrated. Okay there...
The people hyping him back up after 2 games aren't any better. He has major consistency issues right now that he needs to sort out. Still doesn't look like the 60 goal hart trophy matthews we saw a couple seasons ago.

11 out of 13 of his goals are from the first 2 games of the season and these last 2 games.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He's still doing this without his wrister.

Yes he still has a wrist shot but it's not the same one he used to do. There was a post earlier in this thread of him lasering one to the corner with his curl and drag wrister off the left side. I don't recall the last time I've seen that.

I'm going to be very disappointed if we never see it at that level again. It's one of the best wristers ever seen in hockey.

I might be getting a bit carried away but I swear he could be at 20 goals right now if he was firing wristers like he used to.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
He's still doing this without his wrister.

Yes he still has a wrist shot but it's not the same one he used to do. There was a post earlier in this thread of him lasering one to the corner with his curl and drag wrister off the left side. I don't recall the last time I've seen that.

I'm going to be very disappointed if we never see it at that level again. It's one of the best wristers ever seen in hockey.

I just don’t think human wrists are meant to move that way 10 shots a night 82 games a year + 10s of thousands of reps in practice. Semin ran into severe wrist issues early on, Kessel transitioned into of a playmaker as he got into his 30s. Meanwhile Ovi, Stamkos, Kovy, Kuch and other slapshot-first guys don’t have the same drop-off into their 30s.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s a f***ing stud, one of the best handful of players in the league, no doubt. For that matter, Marner, Nylander and Rielly are all studs too, and JT has been having a nice bounce back too.

Anyone blaming any of our stars for our so-so start is out to lunch - they’ve all been delivering. The struggles have mostly been related to Sammy playing the worst hockey of his career, and basically every Treliving addition except Gregor performing poorly. Hopefully they turn it around (I think Sammy, Bertuzzi and Domi all have the ability to play better, not so sure about Klingberg or Reaves), because we don’t wanna waste the performances we’re getting from Matthews, Nylander, Marner, JT and Rielly.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
We're looking at another 60 goal season and numerous people will rant about him and call him overrated. Okay there...

“His 50 goals weren’t in his first 50 games”

Matthews and the 2023-24 NHL season might have something to say about that

The people hyping him back up after 2 games aren't any better. He has major consistency issues right now that he needs to sort out. Still doesn't look like the 60 goal hart trophy matthews we saw a couple seasons ago.

11 out of 13 of his goals are from the first 2 games of the season and these last 2 games.

Lol he had several chances where he could’ve easily had his 4th hat trick of the season in his 12th game and the people hyping him up aren’t any better :biglaugh:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He's so good. It's too bad he's been sorrounded with questionable management Dubas included, and questionable coaches at the same time.
In conversation to be the best Leaf of all time.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Imagine wanting your team to win more than whatever individual crap you're talking about.
If you want your team to win, you're going to want one of the best players in the world more than cap space.
Especially when the best players (better than him) DID take a discount.
Whoever you're referring to, you're likely wrong. I mean, most superstar contracts (including Matthews') are technically discounts, because the pay scale in the NHL is wonky to inflate the middle class, but the type of discounts you're likely referring to are extremely rare. People mistake their own bad contract valuation and player evaluation skills for "discounts" all the time.
I know right. If we just remove multiple hat tricks and like half the season, then he has less goals! What a bum! :eyeroll:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad