Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Devin Setoguchi on PTO contract

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He was pretty useless his last 2 years in the NHL. Rather not waste a contract or roster spot on him.

A funny thing about professional sports - an athlete's performance can go up and down based on the amount of work they put into practice and training.

Who gives a crap about wasting a contract spot? Do you expect this team to be competitive? I have no problem giving another roster spot to a veteran who could easily be flipped at the deadline for a pick. I say let the kids keep developing in the minors and give a few a shot after the trade deadline when all the old boys get shipped out.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
One of the very least exciting signing for me. Once again, I get what the Leafs are trying to do here. He'll probabally with the Marlies, once we trade everyone on the deadline he'll be the call up........ If he makes the cut that is

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Toronto Sun, Devin Setoguchi looks to be in great shape and fully realizes the job ahead will be tough.

Heading into a tryout with the Maple Leafs, a cleaned-up Devin Setoguchi says he’s a new man.

But it might be that the Leafs look to a younger man to take one of the right wing jobs Setoguchi hopes to win at training camp.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/25/setoguchi-will-be-in-tough-to-make-maple-leafs

“This last year was a long year for me,†Setoguchi told CTV Calgary Sports Director Glenn Campbell in a recent interview. “About three quarters of the way through, I ended up going to rehab for drinking. It’s been about five months that I’ve been sober now."

“You know it’s something I’m looking forward to and try to get back and prove myself in the league again."

“It’s been a real long road, but I’m feeling great, the best I’ve felt in a long time. I’ve got a lot of clarity of eye-opening stuff that happened. Just getting married and having the best day of my life in a while ... it feels good and I’m going into camp with a clear head. I’m feeling really special.â€

“Everyone knows what (Babcock) is like. I’ve been in the league long enough, I’ve played almost 500 games and his attention to detail and his professionalism and the way he runs things are the things he’s trying to bring to Toronto. And on the other end, Lou Lamoriello is a well-known general manager. So for me, coming in sober and having a clear state of mind, I think it’s something that they’re trying to bring here.I’m excited about being able to go there and get a chance.â€

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
A funny thing about professional sports - an athlete's performance can go up and down based on the amount of work they put into practice and training.

Who gives a crap about wasting a contract spot? Do you expect this team to be competitive? I have no problem giving another roster spot to a veteran who could easily be flipped at the deadline for a pick. I say let the kids keep developing in the minors and give a few a shot after the trade deadline when all the old boys get shipped out.

We're close to the 50 man limit. It could hurt our ability to pick a guy up off waivers like we did with Panik or sign a top College UFA if we're at the limit. Plus we've already got 14 one way contracts up front and a lot of guys on the Marlies who should get a shot.

You're dreaming if you think anybody's going to give up anything for Setoguchi at the deadline. We've got enough bargain bin signings as is.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Should get 30 goals with the right linemates
Well, he's not likely to find them on this team. He managed 31 goals once in his career and that was in 2008/2009, his first full season. His highest goal total since then is 22.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
We're close to the 50 man limit. It could hurt our ability to pick a guy up off waivers like we did with Panik or sign a top College UFA if we're at the limit. Plus we've already got 14 one way contracts up front and a lot of guys on the Marlies who should get a shot

IF he makes the team, then he earned a spot and you keep him over the possibility of somebody maybe becoming available on waivers.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Yes it is, unless he gets hurt or someone else signs him This is no different than Mason Raymond ,everyone knew Raymond would be better than Orr and Macleran. All Seto has to do is be better than Arcobello or Beck and considering Arcobello played on 4 teams and was waived twice last year thats VERY doable. You play on 4 teams in less than a year there is a reason for that.

We'll see but I'm rooting for Setoguchi.

It's stories like his how you find those great reclamation pieces like we did with Lupul, CMac, Raymond, Beauchemin when he signed coming off knee surgery.

Setoguchi seems to be motivated, engaged in focusing on his hockey career (motivation can go a long way), is still only 28 and has had lots of rest which means he shouldn't have any nagging injury concerns. He offers a good pedigree as a former 8th overall pick who had 5 seasons in a row of scoring at over a 20 goal pace.

Arcobello is a year younger, has done nothing noteworthy in the NHL. Beck is 24 and done nothing noteworthy to indicate upside. If Setoguchi can't beat either of them out he simply doesn't deserve to be in the NHL and we move on from him.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
We're close to the 50 man limit. It could hurt our ability to pick a guy up off waivers like we did with Panik or sign a top College UFA if we're at the limit. Plus we've already got 14 one way contracts up front and a lot of guys on the Marlies who should get a shot.

You're dreaming if you think anybody's going to give up anything for Setoguchi at the deadline. We've got enough bargain bin signings as is.

You can always find someone to take a contract for a conditional 7th.

EN4CER

Burn the Boats
Apr 8, 2013
Toronto
As someone who's been battling addiction for a long time now, I'll forgive you for your ignorance. Unless you can provide empathy, don't talk.

Unless you know or are someone battling addiction it's hard to relate. Anyhow, good for you brother. All the best with staying strong and having the balls to speak out.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Let's hope that Setoguchi can rebound. I'd like to see him plastered on Holland's line and create that second scoring line.

Babcock isn't a fan of a defensive zone-focused checking line. I expect the checkers like Komarov, Winnik to be on separate lines.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I honestly hope Gooch nabs a spot on the roster. I was hoping he'd do something last season in Calgary but we just had too many forwards vying for spots and he was gifted PP time for the first little bit.
I wish him well and hope he really has turned it around. Using an avvy for almost an entire year of a player gets ya a bit attached to them.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Until reports came out about a month ago when he mentioned he was close to signing with the Leafs, i had no idea that he was a recovering addict.

My brother is a Sharks fan so we have followed Seto for a long time. My brother was upset when they traded him in the Burns deal.

I dont know how long he was addicted so i dont know if that was his biggest problem with the Wild, Jets, and/or Flames but for the sake of his career i hope coming into camp in shape and sober will allow him to steal a roster spot. If the Leafs can flip him at the deadline for a good return because of a strong comeback season then great.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Until reports came out about a month ago when he mentioned he was close to signing with the Leafs, i had no idea that he was a recovering addict.

My brother is a Sharks fan so we have followed Seto for a long time. My brother was upset when they traded him in the Burns deal.

I dont know how long he was addicted so i dont know if that was his biggest problem with the Wild, Jets, and/or Flames but for the sake of his career i hope coming into camp in shape and sober will allow him to steal a roster spot. If the Leafs can flip him at the deadline for a good return because of a strong comeback season then great.

Yea, it's really good to see that he's cleaned up his life and looking to move forward.

I'm not sure that the Leafs have to flip every player that's on a 1 year deal and a UFA. Sure, it's nice to get as many assets as possible, but I'd be happy with him just playing out the year if he even makes the team.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

I'm a Sharks fan and I wouldn't be surprised if he's been having problems since at least his 30 goal season. He had a reputation for being a partyboy for a long time. Reading that article from the Toronto Sun seems to show that he finally hit rock bottom and is ready to turn it around. I remember watching some of the behind the scene videos when he got to the Wild and he was real pudgy looking. If he's under 200 for the first time in 9 years, to me, that really means he's finally putting the work in.

He's got a good skillset but he didn't put in the work. If he can work hard, he can probably carve out a niche for himself at worst.

Sorry not the toronto sun but this one:https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2015...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
honestly if david can turn it around and play a decent year, i rather just sign him to a 3 year deal, have him play put up decent points and teach the younger guys not to mess up like him

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
NHL forward Devin Setoguchi, who signed a professional tryout offer with the Toronto Maple Leafs, talks to Andrew Walker about getting married in the off-season, battling addiction, trying to rebuild his reputation, making a wrong turn in his life, entering this season vs. last season with the Calgary Flames, getting in shape, and how the opportunity with the Leafs came about.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Devin-Setoguchi-with-Andrew-Walker-bw-20150827-Interview.mp3

“When you’re a young kid making $3.5 million coming from not much, things can get out of hand quickly."

“I ended up going to rehab in April.â€

“The amount of times I’ve let people down, there weren’t a lot of takers on me.â€

“Around the league my word has not really meant much."

“I had gotten to the point where I had diminished any merit I had in the league.â€

“I still got a lot of work to do, and it starts with this camp.â€

“It’s not going to be easy. It’s going to be tough."

“All the odds ae stacked against me.â€

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Amazing guy. Nothing but good things to say. He has turned a new leaf in his life.

Watch him have a great year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad