Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Devin Setoguchi on PTO contract

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
jvr-kadri-lupul
mathias-bozak-parenteau
komorov-holland-winnik
arcobello-spaling-panik/bailey/beck/setoguchi

^^^^ thats pretty frightening. we basically have a 2nd line and 3 third lines. good news for setoguchi though i guess. he has a legitimate chance of beating out one of these guys. all he has to do is wait until someone gets injured (lupul) and he could get his chance.

I like how you did that. :handclap:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Seto's?

Not really.

Yes it is, unless he gets hurt or someone else signs him This is no different than Mason Raymond ,everyone knew Raymond would be better than Orr and Macleran. All Seto has to do is be better than Arcobello or Beck and considering Arcobello played on 4 teams and was waived twice last year thats VERY doable. You play on 4 teams in less than a year there is a reason for that.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yes it is, unless he gets hurt or someone else signs him This is no different than Mason Raymond ,everyone knew Raymond would be better than Orr and Macleran. All Seto has to do is be better than Arcobello or Beck and considering Arcobello played on 4 teams and was waived twice last year thats VERY doable. You play on 4 teams in less than a year there is a reason for that.

If Seto comes in and plays the way he did last year, or even the year before, he isn't getting signed.

You're vastly underrating Arcobello. He is far from fodder.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

He isn't better than Arcobello.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Arcobello is a nice 30 point bottom 6 scoring guy, I like him over Beck and Gooch

Beck has the higher ceiling but Arcobello looks the most likely to secure a spot

Setoguchi has a lot to prove, looking forward to camp

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
We've got alot of depth. Pretty much means no marlies will get a chance to play and alot of guys will be traded for 6th/7th rounders/ future considerations.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Struggles aren't only financial :laugh:

Agreed but it was his own doing, a situation he was in control of to begin with which is why i have no sympathy. It's not as if a series of terrible incidents lead up to him becoming addicted. He used to go out at night, party and get completely hammered before game day, even playoff games which ultimately led to San Jose shipping him out. Regardless i'm not here to argue over that, hopefully he returns to the player he once was and gives us some value.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
If a marlie clearly outplays a vet im sure they will waive and bring up the Marlie..

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I guess if it worked for Mason when he had his PTO with us, why not Seto.

Good luck to him, as even at 28, this could be his last shot.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Hey best of luck to the guy. He could be a valuable forward on our bottom two lines, but there's a list of guys right around his skill level he'd have to beat out first.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Lots of motivation for all those guys. I think it'll end up being whoever buys into Babcocks plans faster. They each have strengths and flaws...Arcabelo is a little small, but has a nice shot. Beck is a little slow but has offensive upside and can play a power forward game, Setoguchi has speed and a shot but is inconsistent. He does have a history of scoring in the 20-30 goal range in the NHL on more than one occasion so, yes, it would seem he could make the team over the other two if he brought back that power forward 25 goal game. He won't make it based on his past though, he will have to show pretty well in preseason.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Sober for 9 months now (He said 8 months about 1 month ago), just got married, things are looking up for him.

Just a PTO, let's see what he can do.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I am still shocked that he is only 28 years old. It's not like he is an old bum. If he is motivated then he should still have some good years left in him

YOYOTCROSTER*

Saw him play a few times in LA with Sharks. He is hit or miss. Some games he looks like one of top players on ice. Others he is completely invisible. I did not know he was into the drugs maybe that is why. Hopefully he can play at same level every night. When he is good he is both a physical force and a factor as a 2nd line scoring winger.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
The Calgary’s Sun Eric Francis, who saw Devin Setoguchi play a handful of games with the Flames last season, joins Dean Blundell & Co. to provide his reasons why the professional tryout contract offered to the forward by the Toronto Maple Leafs will amount to nothing.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dema...ll-and-George-Rusic-db-20150825-Interview.mp3

“Just because he signed a PTO, doesn’t mean he’s going to play in the National Hockey League.â€

“The reason why I write him off is because we saw him here in [Flames] camp last year and it didn’t work from Day One.â€

"Not only is he not able to score anymore in the NHL, defensively he's quite a project."

"I think it's a creative attempt to try to resurrect someone's career and address a need in Toronto."

"But I just think the odds are so stacked against him."

"The expectations should be kept very low on this one."

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
This really feels like a low risk, high reward situation for us. I hope he does well and get us a high oick at the trade deadline!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad