Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Devin Setoguchi on PTO contract

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Don't expect much. No harm in him getting a try out though. Creates some competition, and if he earns a contract, even better.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
We should offer a PTO to Raphael Joly. :sarcasm:

2.97 PPG in Netherlands. Not even Dale Weise could do that well. Plus he puts up PIMS.

Oh, and he's Michael Joly's brother.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
All indications are the guy is motivated and he's always had the skill level to play. While many view him as over I see the opposite. Motivation is a huge factor and this guy "seems" to get that this is "life or death" for him (at least for his career). I'm not saying he'll be a 30 goal scorer only that I wouldn't count him out of making this team and being relevant.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
All indications are the guy is motivated and he's always had the skill level to play. While many view him as over I see the opposite. Motivation is a huge factor and this guy "seems" to get that this is "life or death" for him (at least for his career). I'm not saying he'll be a 30 goal scorer only that I wouldn't count him out of making this team and being relevant.
I agrees that his chances are not that slim and shady. Motivated by hate is even more powerful than just the motivation itself. This hitter Setoguchi might do anything really during the camp and with us generally.

gravyface

Jun 22, 2010
No Jumbo Joe dishing him up tap-ins all year? Even if he does bounce back and proves he's still an NHLer, it'll be as a soft 3rd/4th line tweener.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Puzzling move. I would put his chances right at zero.

I don't understand what's so puzzling about it? Lack of depth on the RW. He's shown glimpses of a capable NHLer. Creates competition in camp. Zero risk.

This move is logical, even if his chances are slim.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
If he really did turn his life around I don't think his chances will be that slim. I watched one of my friends turn his life around and it was an amazing sight to see.

Setoguchi is only 28, if he really changed I think he will have a really good shot at making the team. His biggest problems before was his shape and his attitude, not that he lacked skill. If he really accepted his demons and did something about it, I expect he would show up to camp in great shape. And if he really is in great shape I expect him to be one of the better forwards out there. Again that is if he really changed his ways.

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
If Setoguchi shows up in great shape and is motivated he should be a Top 6 winger with the skill to produce 20 goals - 20 assists - 40 Pts. If he does not show up motivated and in Top 6 shape then he is cut at the end of camp. A no risk - high reward potential try-out. I think he will make the team.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Remember having Seto on a list of talented young guys I wanted to get back in 2010. Simmonds, was another. Hope he has turned a page on his former life, because he was talented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad