Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign David Booth (1 year $1.1 mil)

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Isn't that what all GMs are hoping for annually, the Leafs being no different trying to get results from their drafting?

When do you see the stalling ever ending as it seems to be going on season after season in Toronto?..

When will the Leafs no longer feel the need to go sign Booth, Santorelli and Kontiola stop gap types and start promoting from within based on drafting and developing their own, and stop signing and trading to fill out the roster?

Who are we promoting from within this year to fill the forward ranks, besides maybe Nylander? These guys are all on short deals, that's the whole point.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I hope management lets the performance in camp determine the roster and not the signing of a reclamation project like Booth

I think Nonis got a little nervous when he realized his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line RWers combined for 7 goals 14 assists and 21 points last season and the departing Raymond had 19 goals and 45 points by himself.

While Shanahan was hiring Nonis future replacement down at the ACC yesterday, Nonis was bringing in the recently bought out Booth 9-10-19 point to strengthen his wing position.

Are you saying Frattin, Clarkson, or Ashton have much better cases for the 2RW position based on their last season performances instead of Booth?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who are we promoting from within this year to fill the forward ranks, besides maybe Nylander? These guys are all on short deals, that's the whole point.

In one thread these new players are viewed as short-term seat fillers and reclamation projects to buy time for the future prospects to develop.

&

In another thread they're seen as key vital replacements for Bolland, Kuemin, Raymond and McClement to make the Leafs better playing key minutes and contributing while propelling the Leafs forward, but only might be here for a season due to contracts.

That seems like a contradiction in beliefs as to what they truly represent.

The more Booth, Santorelli and Kontiola play the less time for Frattin, Holland and Ashton to play and develop and may even send some to the pressbox as Leafs NHL ready prospects.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
In one thread these new players are viewed as short-term seat fillers and reclamation projects to buy time for the future prospects to develop.

&

In another thread they're seen as key vital replacements for Bolland, Kuemin, Raymond and McClement to make the Leafs better playing key minutes and contributing while propelling the Leafs forward, but only might be here for a season due to contracts.

The more Booth, Santorelli and Kontiola play the less time for Frattin, Holland and Ashton to play and develop and may even send some to the pressbox as Leafs NHL ready prospects.

Why can't they be both?

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Keep in mind playing too many kids when tight against the cap is a recipe for cap disaster. All those ELC bonuses kick in, push you way over the cap, and then force you to pretty much forfeit all the cap space you would've gained next season. See: 2010, Chicago. They had to have a mini fire sale because of this.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I think Nonis got a little nervous when he realized his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line RWers combined for 7 goals 14 assists and 21 points last season and the departing Raymond had 19 goals and 45 points by himself.

While Shanahan was hiring Nonis future replacement down at the ACC yesterday, Nonis was bringing in the recently bought out Booth 9-10-19 point to strengthen his wing position.

Are you saying Frattin, Clarkson, or Ashton have much better cases for the 2RW position based on their last season performances instead of Booth?

No, I'm saying that their play in camp should determine what happens. If Nylander is better than Ashton or Frattin, he should play ahead of them.

I'm saying that signing a player like Booth shouldn't be the factor that determines where Nylander plays this season.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think it's best to expect a Detroit type situation when it comes to playing our young guys. They will probably not be fed to the wolves or rushed now, they should have to earn their places and ice time and if not deemed ready get put where they belong.

Having these fill in guys as insurance is not a bad thing, if a young guy proves he can do the job better its no sweat to put one of the filler guys on waivers and send down. Oh no, we lost a free agent signing because one of our kids is better. I don't think the Leafs are too worried about winning this year, every indication is they are more worried about development.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
That was before this.

booth1.jpg

He's a shadow of his 08\09 form. Anyone expecting that David Booth will be disappointed.

We signed a dead body to a 1 year deal? No wonder those idiot assistant GM's were fired :sarcasm:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No, I'm saying that their play in camp should determine what happens. If Nylander is better than Ashton or Frattin, he should play ahead of them.

I'm saying that signing a player like Booth shouldn't be the factor that determines where Nylander plays this season.

Aren't training camp battles the usual means of deciding line-ups and combinations ?

While Nylander is miles better than anyone at RW in talent, he is only 18 and outside of being exceptional in camp he is not likely to make the team this year. He was always a long-shot due to age and inexperience even before Booth was signed.

However if one had to pick between Clarkson, Booth, Frattin and Ashton as who is the front runner to play 2nd line it would be anyone best guess with little to no certainty other than past performance to draw upon.

Booth is the most proven NHL player with Clarkson likely 2nd. However when your talking about a 2nd line top 6 player on skills the answer most likely is NO ONE is deserving of that position on merit.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Relax, it's a low risk signing. Remember Mason Raymond?

Booth might be the logical choice to replace the 19 goals and 45 points of the departed Raymond.

At least I think he is the frontrunner having the best past historical proven record that might be able to do it.

Tyler Biggs*

Booth: Playing for Leafs was ‘childhood dream’: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...or-toronto-maple-leafs-was-a-childhood-dream/

Despite the fact he grew up in Michigan, David Booth says it was “a childhood dream†to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

“I’m very excited to have this opportunity,†Booth, who often travelled to Toronto to play in tournaments as a kid, told Sportsnet 590 The Fan Thursday. “I grew up watching Hockey Night [in Canada] in Detroit so it’s very, very exciting for me.

“I have a great love for the city, and I’m very excited to be playing hockey for the Maple Leafsâ€

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

&

Those are not mutually exclusive points of view Mess. These guys are on short, cap friendly deals and can be dealt or demoted if they don't get the job done. If the youngsters earn a spot that's fantastic but without the likes of Booth, Santorelli, et al. the youngsters would be gifted a spot and I'm of the mind that that WOULD be counter to long term development (see Schenn, Luke).

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Cool. he's saying the right stuff and I liked him in his panther days but let's see if he can prove it. I personally believe in him but his injury track of the late scares me.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Cool. he's saying the right stuff and I liked him in his panther days but let's see if he can prove it. I personally believe in him but his injury track of the late scares me.

I don't see the big deal. He gets injured and you see one of the kids that many of you had penciled into the lineup already.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto

He practically signed a risk-free deal with the Leafs. If he gets injured, it isn't a big deal. He will provide much needed depth and secondary scoring on the bottom two lines. Biggest difference is actually having a 3rd/4th line that can take regular shifts on the ice. Hopefully we never have to see any useless facepuncher take another shift for the Leafs ever again.

ALEXJD93

LOL
Dec 12, 2013
Aren't training camp battles the usual means of deciding line-ups and combinations ?

While Nylander is miles better than anyone at RW in talent, he is only 18 and outside of being exceptional in camp he is not likely to make the team this year. He was always a long-shot due to age and inexperience even before Booth was signed.

However if one had to pick between Clarkson, Booth, Frattin and Ashton as who is the front runner to play 2nd line it would be anyone best guess with little to no certainty other than past performance to draw upon.

Booth is the most proven NHL player with Clarkson likely 2nd. However when your talking about a 2nd line top 6 player on skills the answer most likely is NO ONE is deserving of that position on merit.

I agree that the competition is good and I also like the booth signing but don't discount Santorelli or Kontiola for that position. Both are guys who play better in the top6, are right handed and can also play center which could allow Kadri to be more aggresive

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Booth might be the logical choice to replace the 19 goals and 45 points of the departed Raymond.

At least I think he is the frontrunner having the best past historical proven record that might be able to do it.
Booth is a speed winger like Raymond, but he's a fierce forechecker and quite decent around the net as well. His playing style ( that and playing with his head down) is why he's been hit with so many concussions.

You can't go wrong with this deal. It's cheap and let's see if Ashton can nab his spot. Kadri needs someone who can play in the critical scoring areas so we're going to see a lot of experimenting.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Wish him luck. Snake bit with injuries, not expecting much after years of concussions and broken bones. He is only 29 so it's not like his body can't recover somewhat from the ankle injuries. Could be a useful player if all goes well. Keep your head up Booth.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Looks like we are doing a quiet tank. A lot of our off-season acquisitions have been from the bargain bin. The tank is strong this year in Toronto. Or at least, you have to hope someone has a plan, and that this is it.

Veteran, cheap, depth UFA signing.

I don't see how it could be bad.

It isn't that bad. Our prospect pool needs some significant upgrading to become a competitive club.

Tyler Biggs*

Hopefully this forces Orr to be the odd man out.

Injuries will inevitably hit as well. There will be playing time for Holland and Ashton no doubt. Just have to hope Carlyle actually uses them.

If both these guys get to play with some quality players, not just 4th line fighters they could turn out, they were really good together with the Marlies in the playoff run.

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
Good point about who they're playing with. Even if they're on the 4th line it seems like they'll at least get a slight to decent bump in icetime along with better, more-skilled and offensively capable linemates. That could make a pretty big difference in their development and production, which is exciting!

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00