Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign David Booth (1 year $1.1 mil)

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
Yeah... He is saying the right things.

Getting my Camaro ready for Toronto. Can't wait to get there. pic.twitter.com/VcAPSxzwe5

BtQ49rMCAAA-WjB.jpg:large

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Well, let's hope that he can win a spot on the line with Kadri and Lupul. I'm not holding my breathe, but I guess it's a possibility.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Something tells me that either all these short terms signings will inject the team with some great competitiveness seeing a lot of guys will be playing for their next contract and the teams make the post season.

Or we will be very active at the trade deadline selling off these players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think Booth has the potential if he finds his game again to outscore all this summers new additions.

He likely is the frontrunner to line up beside Kadri on the 2nd line getting top 6 minutes.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think Booth has the potential if he finds his game again to outscore all this summers new additions.

He likely is the frontrunner to line up beside Kadri on the 2nd line getting top 6 minutes.

I really don't think he's the frontrunner at all but he's got a chance.

There's 4 or 5 players gunning for roles, and the most important one is the 2nd like RW position.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I really don't think he's the frontrunner at all but he's got a chance.

There's 4 or 5 players gunning for roles, and the most important one is the 2nd like RW position.

The 9 goal 19 point season by Booth was more points than any other player gunning for this position recorded last year. If fact its almost more than all the other challengers combined recorded.

Frattin (7 points), Clarkson (11) and Ashton (3) with the 4 players in competition for the position accumulating 16 goals 24 assists 40 points together .. Raymond whom they're replacing had 19 goals 26 assists and 45 points.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The 9 goal 19 point season by Booth was more points than any other player gunning for this position recorded last year. If fact its almost more than all the other challengers combined recorded.

Frattin (7 points), Clarkson (11) and Ashton (3) with the 4 players in competition for the position accumulating 16 goals 24 assists 40 points together .. Raymond whom they're replacing had 19 goals 26 assists and 45 points.

With a different team and system. Clarkson went from a 20-30 goal scorer to a 5 goal scorer afterall.

I wasn't even looking at Frattin or Ashton. I'd say Holland, Santorelli, Clarkson (yes, I know) or even Kontiola have just as good of a chance to make it there before Booth.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
With a different team and system. Clarkson went from a 20-30 goal scorer to a 5 goal scorer afterall.

I wasn't even looking at Frattin or Ashton. I'd say Holland, Santorelli, Clarkson (yes, I know) or even Kontiola have just as good of a chance to make it there before Booth.

Santorelli, Holland and Kontiola are all natural centers and in their own competition for the #3 and #4 center positions on the Leafs as that is where they appear on Leafs depth chart by position. C is a far more crucial position to have manned.

They're not frontrunners for the 2nd line RW position, in fact their not even in the running at the start. Perhaps if all else fails the loser of the center position battle will get a shot at the wing position to remain in the lineup.

The players competing for the wing position can not switch over and play center.

PS. David Booth with another team in another time with Florida once had a 72 game 31 goal 29 assist 60 point season.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Santorelli, Holland and Kontiola are all natural centers and in their own competition for the #3 and #4 center positions on the Leafs as that is where they appear on Leafs depth chart by position. C is a far more crucial position to have manned.

They're not frontrunners for the 2nd line RW position, in fact their not even in the running at the start. Perhaps if all else fails the loser of the center position battle will get a shot at the wing position to remain in the lineup.

The players competing for the wing position can not switch over and play center.

PS. David Booth with another team in another time with Florida once had a 72 game 31 goal 29 assist 60 point season.

That was before this.

booth1.jpg

He's a shadow of his 08\09 form. Anyone expecting that David Booth will be disappointed.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Natural centers can move to the wing and still produce just fine. Santorelli played wing a lot last season. This is something we lacked last season, center depth. Having a couple natural centers on the wing to start is really an advantage for a few reasons. Of course it's not overly great in terms of quality though.

Colorado showed just how much a 'natural' center like O'Reilly can play the wing just fine when they were healthy. Boston did the same with Seguin and Kessel as they were developing. Detroit played Zetterberg as a winger for a long time. Stamkos played the wing as well after he came back from his injury. The list goes on.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Holland switch to the RW if he plays well in camp and if we are healthy. He's pretty skilled and management are pretty high on him after he dominated the AHL playoffs. Holland can definitely replace Raymond's production without falling everytime someone is near.

I'm not saying Booth can't be that player next to Kadri but it's highly unlikely. He's not the same player. I'll be amazed if he can reach the 40 point mark, let alone 15 goals.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Natural centers can move to the wing and still produce just fine. Santorelli played wing a lot last season. This is something we lacked last season, center depth. Having a couple natural centers on the wing to start is really an advantage for a few reasons. Of course it's not overly great in terms of quality though.

Colorado showed just how much a 'natural' center like O'Reilly can play the wing just fine when they were healthy. Boston did the same with Seguin and Kessel as they were developing. Detroit played Zetterberg as a winger for a long time. Stamkos played the wing as well after he came back from his injury. The list goes on.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Holland switch to the RW if he plays well in camp and if we are healthy. He's pretty skilled and management are pretty high on him after he dominated the AHL playoffs. Holland can definitely replace Raymond's production without falling everytime someone is near.

I'm not saying Booth can't be that player next to Kadri but it's highly unlikely. He's not the same player. I'll be amazed if he can reach the 40 point mark, let alone 15 goals.

No one debates centers can be moved to wing as its an easier position to play with less responsibilities.

The examples you used however are teams deep at C position allowing players with high skill levels to play in the top 6, its a team luxuary because their capable and wasted in the bottom 6 with their skill sets.

The Leafs are extremely weak at C and priority #1 is to find players to fill the roster at the "strength down the middle" position.

What you're basically implying is that those competing for center position are also likely better options to fill winger positions then the ones currently competing for and on the depth chart as wingers. The loser of the C position battles is the front runner for the #2 winger position in your Holland example.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The examples you used however are teams deep at C position allowing players with high skill levels to play in the top 6, its a team luxuary because their capable and wasted in the bottom 6 with their skill sets.

The Leafs are extremely weak at C and priority #1 is to find players to fill the roster at the "strength down the middle" position.

What you're basically implying is that those competing for center position are also likely better options to fill winger positions then the ones currently competing for and on the depth chart as wingers. The loser of the C position battles is the front runner for the #2 winger position in your Holland example.

I'm not viewing it as a loser/winner base scenario.

I think Holland is better suited for the 2nd line RW role then Booth or anyone you can put in that role. I think his style suits that 2nd line a lot better then anyone that can compete for that role. He's fast and skilled enough to keep up with Kadri and Lupul, but also can finish just as well. The only downfall that perhaps some people will point out is that it's not good enough enough in terms of 2-way play but I don't think putting someone like Booth or whoever else will make it much better anyway.

The Leafs don't have a lot of quality down the middle, but that doesn't mean the depth isn't there. It's night and day from last season anyway. If Bozak and Kadri go down like last season (Bolland was also out), we won't have McClement and Smith as our top 2 centers, we'll have Kontiola (If he plays up to his potential), Santorelli and/or Holland all available to take over the top 9, with Smith around to also round it out. Then you have McKegg who's also capable and maybe will break out this season with the Marlies.

It's not ideal but it's better then what it was.

Tyler Biggs*

Low risk moves like these are fantastic. Can't be more motivated as a player, cost effective, and adds depth up and down the lineup in case injuries hit. Booth was on my short list of hopeful gambles before the off season started. Not with the expectations that he comes close to his old ways or even hits 20 goals, but I like him as a hard working, physical bottom six player that will drive the net and has a great attitude to boot. Can play up and down the lineup if injuries necessitate it.

Some saw it as laughable when Shanahan & co. targeted "character" going into the offseason because that's a vague concept that can so easily go awry. But they've put their stock in the right guys in Komarov, Santorelli, Robidas and now Booth in that respect. Watching teams like Columbus, Tampa (last year) and Detroit (without their stars) make the playoffs in the East - you know nightly hard work, determination and speed can go a long way.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Not sure if Booth will slot on to the 2nd or 3rd line. Regardless his addition will bump a better player on to the 4th line where this team needed to be better.
Thumbs up!!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not sure if Booth will slot on to the 2nd or 3rd line. Regardless his addition will bump a better player on to the 4th line where this team needed to be better.
Thumbs up!!

Leafs have 3 RW spots available after Kessel and the challengers for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines are presently Booth, Frattin, Clarkson, Ashton and long-shot Wee Willie Nylander.

However the addition of Booth likely sealed Nylander's fate for this season. If Booth is in the line-up then one of Frattin or Ashton is in the pressbox.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Something tells me that either all these short terms signings will inject the team with some great competitiveness seeing a lot of guys will be playing for their next contract and the teams make the post season.

Or we will be very active at the trade deadline selling off these players.

Which is a great position to be in

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Leafs have 3 RW spots available after Kessel and the challengers for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines are presently Booth, Frattin, Clarkson, Ashton and long-shot Wee Willie Nylander.

However the addition of Booth likely sealed Nylander's fate for this season. If Booth is in the line-up then one of Frattin or Ashton is in the pressbox.

I hope management lets the performance in camp determine the roster and not the signing of a reclamation project like Booth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad