Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign D Rinat Valiev To ELC

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
http://theahl.com/faq-p137653

What is the minimum age for an AHL player?
Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/2009/04/junior-aged-players-and-the-ahl/

Anyone have the new CBA?

Old CBA:
As far as I know, they kept the same agreement. This would mean that all players who, at the time they were drafted, had their rights owned by a CHL team, could not be placed in the AHL until 4 years of service or until they are 20 years old by December of that year. (Sorry, I don't have a link for this)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
As far as I know, they kept the same agreement, which would mean that all players who at the time they were drafted, had their rights owned by a CHL team, could not be placed in the AHL until 4 years of service or until they are 20 years old by December of that year. (Sorry, I don't have a link for this)

http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

He has to be offered back to his junior club, but if they don't want him back they can loan him ... to anywhere including the AHL.

Age is not an issue, it is only the NHL-CHL agreement that he be offered back to his junior club.

8.7 Age 18 and 19 Players.
(a) During the first two seasons next succeeding the draft of an age 18 Player, the
Club he signs an SPC with must first offer him to the club from which he was claimed before it
may Loan him.

(b) During the first season next succeeding the draft of an age 19 Player or a Player
who reaches his 19th birthday between September 16 and December 31, inclusive, of the year of
the Entry Draft, the Club he signs an SPC with must first offer him to the club from which he
was claimed before it may Loan him.

(c) During the seasons set forth in (a) and (b) above, the age 18 and age 19 Player,
respectively, may be Loaned to the minor league team affiliate of his Club when his Junior team
is no longer in competition and provided he has been listed on the Club's minor league eligibility
list.

Considering he is an import he occupies a position that is limited, and if they have selected someone they are higher on they might release him.

It really is up to his junior club whether they want to keep him. They could of course trade his rights if they wanted.

Odds are he's going back to junior, but the AHL would not restrict the Marlies from using him.

This is a contentious rule anyway that probably straddles the law as far as employment rules in Canada.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like this kid's personality, and the clips of him are encouraging. The only caveat is he was drafted in his second year of eligibility. 19 year olds should look better than 17 and 18 year olds in junior.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

He has to be offered back to his junior club, but if they don't want him back they can loan him ... to anywhere including the AHL.

Age is not an issue, it is only the NHL-CHL agreement that he be offered back to his junior club.

Considering he is an import he occupies a position that is limited, and if they have selected someone they are higher on they might release him.

It really is up to his junior club whether they want to keep him. They could of course trade his rights if they wanted.

Odds are he's going back to junior, but the AHL would not restrict the Marlies from using him.

This is a contentious rule anyway that probably straddles the law as far as employment rules in Canada.

Is the new agreement different from the old one? Because i remember there was another option that the player could be sent to the AHL if he has played 4 years in the CHL, and I don't see it there.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I like this kid's personality, and the clips of him are encouraging. The only caveat is he was drafted in his second year of eligibility.

There is an article somewhere detailing what happened last year.

The gist was this.

He was injured in North American and went back to Russia.

The thought was he was one of those who was returning back to Russia and was through with North America.

He healed and returned ... the rest is history.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There is an article somewhere detailing what happened last year.

The gist was this.

He was injured in North American and went back to Russia.

The thought was he was one of those who was returning back to Russia and was through with North America.

He healed and returned ... the rest is history.

I recall Morrison saying he was on their radar last year, but they decided to not draft him. I can't remember why not? But Morrison didn't hold it against Rinat. I hope we have a diamond in the rough here. Adding him to Finn, Granberg, Percy, and Nilsson can only be a good thing for our defence.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He got passed over in his first draft year, but sounds like he made big improvements to his game.

It's very interesting to see that he was signed this quickly.

He was slated to go in the early second round last year during the course of the year but had a rough late season and playoffs, plus was rumoured to not want to play in the NHL. He went undrafted for that reason despite having pretty good talent (mind you, he never should have been drafted in the 2nd round, even last year). However he changed that by coming to the WHL and having a strong showing. He's worth his 3rd round pick as our only defenseman being drafted.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Is the new agreement different from the old one? Because i remember there was another option that the player could be sent to the AHL if he has played 4 years in the CHL, and I don't see it there.

There used to be that, probably still somewhere but after 4-5 years regardless of age it was the player's decision.

It isn't an age thing, so age 20 is just when the junior club no longer has control.

AHL is age 18.

The link provided is the new CBA, and as it shows if the junior club is okay with releasing the player he can be loaned out by his NHL club.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/rinat-valiev/19883/

Mobile defender with emerging defensive abilities and good up ice instincts. Good soft hands. His long term potential was on a huge upswing until he decided after the Five Nations Tourney, to return home to mother Russia without warning to his Indy teammates and staff. He is being reported as out indefinitely "due to injury", and that injury might have be North American culture overdose. He wasn't attempting to learn English and it also caused issue to him being coachable. You have to wonder if this player who at one point potential first rounder has dropped his stock completely out of the draft, but now has resurfaced on the Kootenay squad with new commitment.

--Bill Placzek--

Last edited:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
hahahaha

Some sort of no movement clause in there.

No movement you say?

kerry-fraser-sabres.jpeg

Ace88*

He's already signed, so I hope he is Vorobiev without the heart issues.

Good player that didn't want to leave home.

i meant as in good player that was/might be usually in the top 10 prospects for us but never played a game

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think they really wanted to get him signed before the KHL started to throw huge amounts of money for him to go back, especially if he has a great year.

I really hope he can keep progressing. I'm always intriguing by late bloomers.

Nylander shouldn't be too far behind I think.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think they really wanted to get him signed before the KHL started to throw huge amounts of money for him to go back, especially if he has a great year.

I really hope he can keep progressing. I'm always intriguing by late bloomers.

As seen above he was being talked about as a possible 1st. rounder in his draft year, so maybe it isn't so much as being a late bloomer as circumstances derailing his draft year.

Of course, talent/ranking is somewhat irrelevant for Russians, as they are automatically devalued at the draft. Hockey Prospects came out and explained all their rankings dropped Russians as they evaluate the KHL as a negative attribute for all Russians.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
As seen above he was being talked about as a possible 1st. rounder in his draft year, so maybe it isn't so much as being a late bloomer as circumstances derailing his draft year.

Of course, talent/ranking is somewhat irrelevant for Russians, as they are automatically devalued at the draft. Hockey Prospects came out and explained all their rankings dropped Russians as they evaluate the KHL as a negative attribute for all Russians.

True, true. He obviously had a pretty rough adjustment period in the USHL. You don't see many Russians going from Russia to the USHL... I can't think of any good Russian prospects that went that route actually, so perhaps that played a part in it.

Let's hope the CHL brings out the best in him.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

From what I understand of this rule (which may be completely wrong :laugh:), is that because he was drafted out of the CHL, he will not be eligible to play in the AHL until his CHL eligibility expires (so season after he turns 20, ie. 2015-16). Just because a CHL team owns his rights, does not mean that he will have to play in the CHL (an excellent example is Nylander; Mississauga just drafted him in the import draft, so his rights are owned by them, but that does not make him ineligible to play for the Marlies). The difference is that Valiev was playing in the CHL during his draft year, which is where the AHL ineligibility comes from.

While I am not sure whether you are right about his options if he is released by Kootenay, it would seem logical that he could play in the AHL in that scenario. However, I highly doubt Kootenay would just release him. He is a top 4 dman for them (and their only returning import), plus they only drafted 1 player in this years import draft, so it seems like they want him back next year.

Mar 12, 2009

Ok...so maybe it's possible, but I can't think of a single instance where a CHL team declined to take a drafted player back. His coach in Kootenay, who was interviewed at the draft, said Valiev will be given a big role on that team next season in the CHL. His junior team will definitely take him back, making him ineligible for the AHL.

Tyler Biggs*

Valiev is a 3rd round draft pick. And a great 3rd round pickup in my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad