Confirmed with Link: Leafs Sign D Rinat Valiev To ELC

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
I'm excited about this kid. He elevated his game in the playoffs and he has pretty good size. Apparently he was the player who injured Jake Virtanen's shoulder in a fight as well, so he sounds like he plays with some edge.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
He got passed over in his first draft year, but sounds like he made big improvements to his game.

It's very interesting to see that he was signed this quickly.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
Pretty big fan of this kid. Never really said what I thought about the pick. I'm hoping he can get more powerplay time now with Philp moving to Reinhart's spot, and Dirk moving on.

He's cool with the puck and very raw, great skill set. Didn't have a very good series vs Calgary.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Could be wrong, but I think they signed him earlier because he is a year older than most of this years picks because he got passed over last year. :dunno:

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
what is the point of starting his ELC if he is likely to just play in the WHL?

is there a chance he will hit the marlies?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
what is the point of starting his ELC if he is likely to just play in the WHL?

is there a chance he will hit the marlies?

He was drafted out of the WHL so he is no different than any other CHL selected player now despite being a Euro import.

He is 19 and would need to be sent back to junior unless released by his WHL club as teams are limited to 2 Euro players per team.

He can however under the "Slide Rule" be sent back down and his contract wouldn't count as a year of his ELC nor among Leafs 50 allowable pro contracts.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I like the Trevor Smith signing noted in the article as well.

Good signing to help as a skill veteran to help develop the Marlies and if we get desperate can always fill in at the NHL level.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I like the Trevor Smith signing noted in the article as well.

Good signing to help as a skill veteran to help develop the Marlies and if we get desperate can always fill in at the NHL level.

Good signing. As been alteady said, the kid probably need the signing bonus and the salary seeing as he is a foreign player.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
He was drafted out of the WHL so he is no different than any other CHL selected player now despite being a Euro import.

He is 19 and would need to be sent back to junior unless released by his WHL club as teams are limited to 2 Euro players per team.

He can however under the "Slide Rule" be sent back down and his contract wouldn't count as a year of his ELC nor among Leafs 50 allowable pro contracts.

They are probably just trying to help him pay his rent and for food with the signing bonus.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's not eligible. He'd have to be 20 by Dec. 31 of this year.

http://theahl.com/faq-p137653

What is the minimum age for an AHL player?
Per AHL By-Laws, the age limit for eligibility to compete in the American Hockey League is 18 years or over, on or before September 15 of each season of competition.

http://www.mc79hockey.com/2009/04/junior-aged-players-and-the-ahl/

Anyone have the new CBA?

Old CBA:

8.7 Age 18 and 19 Players

(a) During the first two seasons next succeeding the draft of an age 18 Player, the Club he signs an SPC with must first offer him to the club from which he was claimed before it may Loan him.

(b) During the first season next succeeding the draft of an age 19 Player or a Player who reaches his 19th birthday between September 16 and December 31, inclusive, of the year of the Entry Draft, the Club he signs an SPC with must first offer him to the club from which he was claimed before it may Loan him.

“Loan†is a defined term under the CBA.

“Loan†means the transfer of a Player from a Club’s Active Roster, Non-Roster, Injured Non-Roster or Injured Reserve List to the roster of a club outside the NHL.

As I read this, a club is permitted to loan a player who is junior aged – say Sam Gagner – to an AHL team if the club from which he was claimed declines his rights. There is a reference in the mysterious NHL/CHL agreement in the CBA, but nobody seems to know what’s in the agreement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad