Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Curtis Glencross to PTO

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
LOVE IT! Been wanting Glencross here since his days in Edmonton. Just a player I really like and if you think about it there really isn't any downside to this. He makes the team then perfect - he doesn't then he's released. Great scenario here.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
No, but the issue comes if there's a tie between Leivo and Setoguchi for instance, or even Percy and Hunwick on defence.

Given the position the team is in, I'd rather the Marlie/kid getting in if there is a tie.

poor asset management

seto is on a PTO and he walks then , where if we keep seto, we have leivo s depth still on the farm

we would lose hunwick on waivers and again lose depth.

your suggestions are the same mistake nonis made by getting rid of joe colb over the two face punchers and ashton

only to realise he had no C depth in the AHL and had to rush into the Holland trade.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
I thought this guy would get a PTO with a good team.

This is bad news for Setoguchi, but I am glad to have him here.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Not a bad pick up at all. He is a good player and should land a 2nd or 3rd rounder at the trade deadline if he does not get injured. So long as this team keeps clear of earning a playoff spot, I would not be shocked if we are the team with the greatest number of draft picks next year.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Bitter player with no passion for the game anymore. Should help fortify the tank.

No longer a useful player. Hasn't been for 4-5 years. Bad signing.

Insanity.

Glencross is injury prone and aging - no longer useful? did you watch him at all last season? - he was fine in a bottom 6 role, especially prior to the trade to the caps.

good leader, wore an A. I would have been disappointed if I took a hometown discount and the team bailed on me - bitter may be accurate but he hasnt displayed any less passion for the game.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Insanity.

Glencross is injury prone and aging - no longer useful? did you watch him at all last season? - he was fine in a bottom 6 role, especially prior to the trade to the caps.

good leader, wore an A. I would have been disappointed if I took a hometown discount and the team bailed on me - bitter may be accurate but he hasnt displayed any less passion for the game.

What i dont understand is his play with the Caps... No leaderschip, benched several times, no heart...

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
No longer a useful player. Hasn't been for 4-5 years. Bad signing.
He's scored 20+ goals twice since 2010 and scored at a similar pace during the lockout shortened season. But you're right, he hasn't been useful at all since 2010. :sarcasm: :shakehead

Solid pickup for you guys if he can recover from a very meh year last year.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Seto was once a very good player who made some bad life choices. Glencross was always an overrated played who just aged poorly
I doubt he comes back even half the player he used to be.

But hey, if he does, good for him and good for the Leafs. But Glencross is a safer bet overall at being a roster player for you guys.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
I doubt he comes back even half the player he used to be.

But hey, if he does, good for him and good for the Leafs. But Glencross is a safer bet overall at being a roster player for you guys.

Handing out scouting reports on players leaf fans haven't seen for more than a game or two in the last year is something that can happen on the internet.

Thanks for stopping by and providing some real analysis. Even if his skill is diminished I'm looking forward to his work ethic alone.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
poor asset management

seto is on a PTO and he walks then , where if we keep seto, we have leivo s depth still on the farm

we would lose hunwick on waivers and again lose depth.

your suggestions are the same mistake nonis made by getting rid of joe colb over the two face punchers and ashton

only to realise he had no C depth in the AHL and had to rush into the Holland trade.

What? It's nothing like that cause I'm in favour of the younger player being on the team.

My preference to be clear is; if Leivo and Setoguchi have good camps and are battling out for the 3rd line RW wing spot say, I'd rather go with Leivo or perhaps another younger player who earns a spot because with the position the team is in the "tie goes to the vet" mantra doesn't really need to be in effect considering this isn't Detroit anymore for the coach where playoffs are a must, and going with a vet may be the safer option. There should be a lot more freedom to put younger players in the line-up if they earn it, and perhaps there is and we just have to let things play out.

Anyway to the original point; I just wouldn't have signed or traded for as many bottom six players as they have and would've had it a little more open than it appears right now anyway.

But I can see another reason for bringing in so many is to fill out the roster during pre-season seeing as we play more games than just about anyone.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I kinda wondered if this was going to happen. Good for Glencross, I hope he can make it work here.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
*Mind Blown*

...no?

He's trying out for the team. Why would a trade be in the works if they have no idea how he will play. That's the whole point of a try out...

Because they know the kind of player he is. There could be trades in the work because they want more young prospects and picks and don't care how well this team as a whole does this year. A PTO is good because if they can't make moves they don't sign, and if they do they can sign.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Because they know the kind of player he is. There could be trades in the work because they want more young prospects and picks and don't care how well this team as a whole does this year. A PTO is good because if they can't make moves they don't sign, and if they do they can sign.

I mean, I guess so... but if they knew the kind of player he was, he would have been signed.

There'a reason why he hasn't been signed yet though. He struggled badly last year and teams aren't sure if he's worth it.

That's what a PTO is for. To see if the player fits and if he has what it takes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad