Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Curtis Glencross to PTO

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I actually like the Setoguchi pick up, and I don't mind Glencross on a PTO either; but we're really not leaving any room for a Marlies/kid to crack the roster especially if this "tie goes to the vet" rule is in effect.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I actually like the Setoguchi pick up, and I don't mind Glencross on a PTO either, but we're really not leaving any room for a Marlies/kid to crack the roster especially if this "tie goes to the vet" rule is in effect.

What's wrong with that?

A young player shouldn't be awarded a spot just because they're younger than everyone else.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah I also don't understand the criticism that the Babcock "tie goes to the vet"-rule gets. If two players perform equally, of course you go with the guy you know can maintain that level based on previous play.

As for competition, I go back to another thing Babcock, paraphrasing: "A prospect is good enough not when he can crack a lineup, but when he can really help a team."

If guys like Arcobello, Beck, Matthias, Setoguchi and Glenncross (unmotivated, older version) stops them from taking a spot, then they are simply not developed enough yet to actually help the team.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
what? so strange that Glencross would take a PTO let alone with the leafs

great pick up IMO

wandering goat

Oct 29, 2009
Woodstock, ON
Cool, I'd rather have Glencross make the team than Setoguchi. Competition for spots is going to be pretty tight this year with the crazy amount of new people this season.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Well it's just a PTO, if he doesn't come to camp and perform he'll be cut and without a job this season. Hopefully it lights a fire under his butt.

He's facing retirement if he fails and maybe a 2-3 year contract if he does well with a contender especially in the playoffs. Its a make or break season for the guy.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
First reaction: I like the way he plays. Maybe we won't be that soft

Second reaction: Ugh. 32 years old.

Third reaction: This season doesn't matter. Might be better to keep young players away from this.

Fourth reaction: It's essentially buying a draft pick at the trade deadline if it pans out.

Fifth reaction: Ok then.

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
just checked it out and he was traded for a 2nd and a 3rd round pick in the last draft.. amazing if he could come anywhere close to that in return.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
He's a career 42pt guy, and can actually play defense, basically a top 6 forward nowadays. This is a great signing, washington barely played him last year, yet still scored at a 31pt pace(he had 4 less minutes per game compared with his time with the flames). So we give him 16+min, and he'll score 0.5+ppg like he has with the flames the last few years(hopefully).

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I like the fact there will be a lot of competition for jobs this year and Babcock likes veteran players and we may see more added.

In Detroit few young players went from the AHL to the NHL until they were absolutely ready.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
JVR-Kadri-Glencross
Lupul-Bozak-Matthias
Winnik-Holland-PAP
Komarov-Spaling-Panik
Beck

Setoguchi is so done.[/QUOTE]

Good signing by the Leafs. Never been much of a Seto fan, but with his challenges with substance abuse, and his absolute candor in a recent fan 590 interview, has me rooting for him. This seems to be the absolute last shot Seto has of ever playing in the NHL again.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
James Mirtle @mirtle
NHL teams also looking at David Schlemko so he'll get at least a PTO somewhere. League will be musical chairs early in camp.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
What's wrong with that?

A young player shouldn't be awarded a spot just because they're younger than everyone else.

No, but the issue comes if there's a tie between Leivo and Setoguchi for instance, or even Percy and Hunwick on defence.

Given the position the team is in, I'd rather the Marlie/kid getting in if there is a tie.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
JVR-Kadri-Glencross
Lupul-Bozak-Matthias
Winnik-Holland-PAP
Komarov-Spaling-Panik
Beck

Setoguchi is so done.[/QUOTE]

Good signing by the Leafs. Never been much of a Seto fan, but with his challenges with substance abuse, and his absolute candor in a recent fan 590 interview, has me rooting for him. This seems to be the absolute last shot Seto has of ever playing in the NHL again.

Yeah, i agree. You should never doubt a motivated person. Man, woman or child. I wish sets the best actually. If he is fit enough i would suspect he will get a good shot at grabbing a spot.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
We will make a trade or three before the season even begins. We have way too many forwards now and not all of them are willing to go to the marlies. It's an interesting thing.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The way I see it:

JVR - Kadri - Parenteau
Lupul - Bozak - Holland
Glencross - Arcobello - Matthias
Komarov - Spaling - Winnik
Panik - Beck

Lots of depth but lots of blah.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
No, but the issue comes if there's a tie between Leivo and Setoguchi for instance, or even Percy and Hunwick on defence.

Given the position the team is in, I'd rather the Marlie/kid getting in if there is a tie.

I'd rather the vet. The kid will get his chance when the 1 year vets are all traded away at the deadline since we probably won't take on too many NHL roster player dumps (most dumps that come back will be contract dumps that will be non-tendered). You need to showcase the 1 year vets for trade bait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad