Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Curtis Glencross to PTO

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
I mean, I guess so... but if they knew the kind of player he was, he would have been signed.

There'a reason why he hasn't been signed yet though. He struggled badly last year and teams aren't sure if he's worth it.

That's what a PTO is for. To see if the player fits and if he has what it takes.

Sure, and as mentioned before there are already like 16 forwards signed + a ton of prospects. There is ample room for a trade or 2 and still not take Glencross if he sucks. There always seems to be an injury or 2 in training camp and maybe they hope to be on the trading end of that.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Preseason is such a short sample size, that it shouldn't determine when a prospect / player is ready / washed up?

I wonder if some of these guys (not Setoguchi he has major red flags!) just priced themselves out of the market?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Preseason is such a short sample size, that it shouldn't determine when a prospect / player is ready / washed up?

I wonder if some of these guys (not Setoguchi he has major red flags!) just priced themselves out of the market?

Likely, Santo is a good example. Leafs offered him more than he got and he turned it down. Then he just waited too long. Franson will likely be similar.

Edit: On Franson didn't read the rumors board yet lol. He's rumored for much less than his asking.

Last edited:

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
These types of signings are going to ruin our draft position, LOL.

We are going to be the hardest working team in the league with the number of guys we have that are going to playing for a contract next year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs tryout players might end up being better than some of the players they signed.

I would certainly take someone like Glencross instead of Arcobello for example for the same price.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
*Mind Blown*

...no?

He's trying out for the team. Why would a trade be in the works if they have no idea how he will play. That's the whole point of a try out...

Many reasons. I believe they know exactly what they are getting with him.

We sign him to a PTO and we need not make any adjustments to our Contract numbers at this point.

If he makes the team and the Leafs sign him they will have to let someone go for cheap, or an out right release. This way they can still make a hockey trade.

Players like Glencross could have likely chose many teams to sign a PTO with, and he did not sign it without some indication of where the Leafs stand with him. This is not the same as Seto as he comes with issues and we may have been the only team willing to give him a PTO.

I see this as a indication of a trade....just my opinion.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
My preference to be clear is; if Leivo and Setoguchi have good camps and are battling out for the 3rd line RW wing spot say, I'd rather go with Leivo or perhaps another younger player who earns a spot because with the position the team is in the "tie goes to the vet" mantra doesn't really need to be in effect considering this isn't Detroit anymore for the coach where playoffs are a must, and going with a vet may be the safer option.

I can't imagine a coach approaching his players and saying "the playoffs aren't a must".
The Cup (and its process) is only attainable by getting to the playoffs.

We as fans, know that the development of the team and the players have never shown a great deal is large successes, can say the playoffs aren't there, and will be beneficial.

The Management/Coaches and players, would definitely consider this a demotivator.
They want to win, so the tie will go to the vet, who has a proven history of "helping his team, not just making it"

We're going to win games, and only a few will be because a team didn't want to compete with us.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
NHL forward Curtis Glencross guests on Brady and Walker to discuss his decision to sign a professional tryout contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs, the difficulty some players are having finding a team to play for, his short time with the Washington Capitals after spending years as a Calgary Flame, and getting the chance to work with Mike Babcock.

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_dema...y-and-Andrew-Walker-bw-20150910-Interview.mp3

“When we started talking about PTOs, Toronto was one of the top teams on our list to go, and I just think it’s a great opportunity to come in … with the new coaching staff and transition going on.”

“It’s a team I think I can help.”

"I've known Babs for quite a few years. I'm excited."

"I had a good talk on the phone with him a couple days ago and it was a positive talk. I got a good vibe from him."

"He's a western [Canada] guy and I like the idea that he's a straight-shooter and that's all you can ask for in a coach."

"Obviously with his experience in the franchise and organization he built in Detroit, now to come to Toronto and bringing all of his qualities to Toronto, it's nothing but positive. I'm excited to work with him, and I think it's going to be a good fit."

"Obviously with the market the way it is right now, it's tough."

"In my nine or 10 years as a pro, I've never seen a free agency go like this. It's unfortunate, but at the same time you've got to take what comes and you've got to think of the positives ... I'm excited to come in to [Toronto]."

"Being in Calgary for so many years and going through the tough years and then finally getting things going the way we wanted to, it was a culture change, it was a transition stage."

"I think it's a good opportunity."

"I thrive off of the atmosphere and playing in front of great fans every night, and that's one of the big parts of my decision."

"I'm ready to move on and go to a place like Toronto where it is such a hockey community and the hype's going to be big coming in with a new coach."

"There's a lot of guys that are trying to prove themselves and I want to be one of them."

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs are becoming the place to be for players to rebuild their careers and get more media exposure. This will lead to some interesting bargain bin free agency signings in future

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The Leafs are becoming the place to be for players to rebuild their careers and get more media exposure. This will lead to some interesting bargain bin free agency signings in future

I don't see a problem in this scenario in the few years where the Leafs will be absolutely dreadful (not that they haven't been recently).

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Likely, Santo is a good example. Leafs offered him more than he got and he turned it down. Then he just waited too long. Franson will likely be similar.

Edit: On Franson didn't read the rumors board yet lol. He's rumored for much less than his asking.

Never heard that; what was the proposed offer? Thought he was great for the Leafs last year.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Leafs have mastered this - sign guys for 1 year cheap - Flip for picks

We messed up not getting a 2nd for Raymond but

Winnik, Santorelli we parlayed into good assets.

We now have Matthias, PAP, Spaling(acquired but expiring UFA), Reimer (pending UFA) and potentially Glencross to flip.

Coupled with guys under contract with term (Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul)

And young guys who need to prove they are in our plans for the future (Kadri and Gardiner)

The Leafs are LOADED with assets. Not saying we move them all but it is easy to see that a great portion of this roster could be traded for futures or used to address other areas.

I'd rather they completely bottom out and really strive for #30 for a year. Signing these cheap guys in order to flip for picks is a main reason we didn't get McDavid or Eichel.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'd rather they completely bottom out and really strive for #30 for a year. Signing these cheap guys in order to flip for picks is a main reason we didn't get McDavid or Eichel.

The incentive to tank a season(s) has been seriously reduced. There is now a draw for the first 3 picks in the draft. Finishing 30th overall only guarantees a 4th overall pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad