Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Auston Matthews to ELC

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Which is why I am very much okay with Lou not letting ANYTHING out. it might be frustrating for some, but what if some of what he lets out disarms him somehow in making a move where he can do the same.

Burke was so pompous back then by claiming he was so good at robbing other teams of high picks, and cited Pronger and the Sedins as examples. Well why would any other GM give Burke that chance to rob them of high picks again? The media kept speculating that Burke could get us Tavares or Hedman or anyone else Burke wanted, to the point that they put other teams on alert, giving us no chance to acquire good pieces without overpaying for them.

I would just rather not know anything until it's done. If we make a splash, great. If not, I don't need to hear any speculation that might give other teams the upper hand in negotiations.

It's night and day from the previous major management era. Matthews signing 'in 10 minutes' (albeit, I'm speculative of this and think it's hyperbole [but it doesn't matter anyway]), bodes well for the future of the Leafs and their moves. "Loose lips sink ships", as the old adage goes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I took the "it took ten minutes" to mean.
"everyone needs to shut up, everything you were saying wasn't an issue."

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I took the "it took ten minutes" to mean.
"everyone needs to shut up, everything you were saying wasn't an issue."

Pretty much :laugh:

10 minutes may be an exaggeration but Lou specifically said it took one conversation and that is likely more accurate and still a good gauge of how the process went. Both sides stories match up - it was a quick, seamless process with no hiccups and both sides are happy with the outcome. Bodes well with the posters who sensibly pointed out that Matthews' signing was probably seen as quick and easy so management decided to focus on their free agency plans followed by time sensitive negotiations with players who would potentially file for arbitration.

If Lou reads the media stuff, he must have had some good chuckles to himself while thinking 'what a bunch of idiots'.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Loved how Lou just made them look like idiots.

I think this is the rhetoric we will see from Lou; he's gonna use the media's own dumb sensationalizing tactics against them.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Loved how Lou just made them look like idiots.

I think this is the rhetoric we will see from Lou; he's gonna use the media's own dumb sensationalizing tactics against them.
Yeah, basically let the media (of all types) look stupid. There was plenty to deal with and Matthews was not a crisis. I'm sure it did just take one conversation to go through everything. Could have been done earlier I have no doubt. But doubt either side felt it was necessary to rush :).

Lou will get things done and do them at his pace.

Mad Brills*

however, though he doesnt leak stuff, tons of stuff from the other end have been leaked

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
however, though he doesnt leak stuff, tons of stuff from the other end have been leaked

Like what?

I dont recall any transaction Lou has made where there were serious rumours beforehand. Not like Burke or Nonis where we knew days or hours beforehand that something was going on. Most of them come directly from the Leafs own twitter account, or if they do come from the other end its very last minute. Most of his deal just come completely out of the blue.

Mad Brills*

Like what?

I dont recall any transaction Lou has made where there were serious rumours beforehand. Not like Burke or Nonis where we knew days or hours beforehand that something was going on. Most of them come directly from the Leafs own twitter account, or if they do come from the other end its very last minute. Most of his deal just come completely out of the blue.

Matt martin. Leafs were interested a week out.

Mad Brills*

Andersen trade too, johnston from sportsnet reported leafs were interested months before they traded for him.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Andersen trade too, johnston from sportsnet reported leafs were interested months before they traded for him.

They were also rumoured to be interested in Fleury and Bishop. At several months out that's just throwing spaghetti on the wall.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
They were also rumoured to be interested in Fleury and Bishop. At several months out that's just throwing spaghetti on the wall.
Exactly. Andersen was a logical guess based on the age, but he wasn't the only name being thrown around. There was no "leak" on that front. Just a lot of guesswork.

Leafs are making the media do their darn jobs and speculate. Not giving them information and making it easy.

After all the best example of it is the Matthews situation. They get nothing and are left to stew and come up with utterly dumb speculation as to what is going on.

Mad Brills*

Exactly. Andersen was a logical guess based on the age, but he wasn't the only name being thrown around. There was no "leak" on that front. Just a lot of guesswork.

Leafs are making the media do their darn jobs and speculate. Not giving them information and making it easy.

After all the best example of it is the Matthews situation. They get nothing and are left to stew and come up with utterly dumb speculation as to what is going on.

as I said, martin's the only leafs rumour that was leaked that did happen.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I can't see this code of silence making a lick of difference to anything

unless the Leafs have decided to finally train the local hockey media. Like children. That after decades and decades of smearing the team and sport, and turning countless potential fans away and hurting hockey itself (the business that employs them all, amazingly), the Leafs decided enough was enough. That if the local media want fair treatment they have to paint a fair picture of the team.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I can't see this code of silence making a lick of difference to anything

unless the Leafs have decided to finally train the local hockey media. Like children. That after decades and decades of smearing the team and sport, and turning countless potential fans away and hurting hockey itself (the business that employs them all, amazingly), the Leafs decided enough was enough. That if the local media want fair treatment they have to paint a fair picture of the team.

I'm sure the joke of a team we were the last decade has nothing to do with all of that lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $209.00