Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Andrew Campbell to NHL Deal.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I'm a little surprised by the signing too, but I don't know enough about Campbell to get upset about it.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think you need an update on what depth means. I'm not talking about our top end talent, I'm talking about how many players we carry that could play at the NHL level.

We have Polak, Marincin, Robidas, Percy, Granberg, Loov, Brennan and Harrington from #5 down. That's 12 NHL-capable players, all better or similar to Campbell. That's depth.

I guess the reason is that they want Percy, Granberg, Loov and Harrington to stay in AHL and develop the whole season.

Dubas did say they want to avoid bringing up and sending down prospects with the Marlies this season .. Makes sense - once they earn a spot, they're with the Leafs and that is it

Kind of underwhelmed by the signing .. He won't be very good ... I suppose he's a benefit to for the better draft pick though

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Dubas did say they want to avoid bringing up and sending down prospects with the Marlies this season .. Makes sense - once they earn a spot, they're with the Leafs and that is it

Kind of underwhelmed by the signing .. He won't be very good ... I suppose he's a benefit to for the better draft pick though

Didn't look particular impressive in the pre-season game he played.
Would imagine there maybe better options available on the waiver wire.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He's not replacing them directly. The intention behind trading Finn and Nilsson wasn't because they had a great player in Campbell.

Campbell will be the callup placeholder (aka the bi***) without having to yo-yo a prospect like Percy, Loov, etc. If they need a defender to sit in the press box for a long road trip, Campbell is a lot better to call up then a young player with potential is it not?

He's not very good and let's hope we don't get to see him too much if at all.

The probelm is if they were throwing away Nilsson and Finn for contract spots then the likely didn't see any potential in them.

So why not hold onto 1 of them, and have them yo-yo back and forth like Campbell might end up doing in the case of injuries.

And then it's not like they're yo-yo'ing someone with potential because they already determined they didn't have much hope for them when they traded them to free up a spot. A spot they used on a guy who's job could just as easily been done by Nilsson or Finn.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
The probelm is if they were throwing away Nilsson and Finn for contract spots then the likely didn't see any potential in them.

So why not hold onto 1 of them, and have them yo-yo back and forth like Campbell might end up doing in the case of injuries.

And then it's not like they're yo-yo'ing someone with potential because they already determined they didn't have much hope for them when they traded them to free up a spot. A spot they used on a guy who's job could just as easily been done by Nilsson or Finn.

Nilsson was the one that surprised me the most of all the players sent to NYI.
Right shooting, rugged defenceman. Something we lack in the organization.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Look at it his way, having someone like Campbell in the Leafs just increase the odds for the lottery.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Didn't look particular impressive in the pre-season game he played.
Would imagine there maybe better options available on the waiver wire.

Only problem with picking up someone off waivers is we need room on our NHL roster to pick them up, and then we'd need to waive them and the team we claim them off of has the first right to reclaim them.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Well they are 2 seperate instances. Linking this signing to the trade made a week or so ago makes no sense.

The trade was made to make contract space and clearing some of of the log jam of average to sub average young players, or at least prospects they don't feel will be core players or can be replaced fairly easily. I wasn't a big fan of the trade, for the record, but it makes sense. It's not like they decided to trade Nilsson and Finn because they suddenly had the great Campbell.

This signing was probably made to add some short-term depth and giving us a defender that has NHL experience.

It's not even like I'm a fan of Campbell here. I would have much preferred not even bothering with him and players his ilk but I can see why they did it. They admitted they didn't handle a few prospects well last year, more specifically Percy, so I think they want to fix the issue of not stabilizing the teams.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Well they are 2 seperate instances. Linking this signing to the trade made a week or so ago makes no sense.

The trade was made to make contract space and clearing some of of the log jam. Of average to sub average young players. I wasn't a big fan of the trade, for the record, but it makes sense.

This signing was probably made to add some short-term depth and giving us a defender that has NHL experience.

It's not even like I'm a fan of Campbell here. I would have much preferred not even bothering with him and players his ilk but I can see why they did it. They admitted they didn't handle a few prospects well last year, more specifically Percy, so I think they want to fix the issue of not stabilizing the teams.

But signing Campbell takes up 1 of the roster spots that that trade cleared so it makes sense to compare what was obtained from the spot opened up by the trade.. When in reality they could have just kept Nilsson to do the job that Campbell was signed to do. Be a Marlies scrub and come up if 2 or 3 guys get hurt. Nilsson could have been kept to do that. And he probably would never be anything, but this Campbell guy is never going to be anything anyway so why him over just keeping Nilsson to be that 10th guy

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Just a two-way guys. Nothing to get bent outta shape about. Fraser replacement if they were considering him before releasing him to sign with the Sens.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm a little surprised by the signing too, but I don't know enough about Campbell to get upset about it.

He's probably 27 year old Andrew MacWilliam. So whatever MacWilliam is in two years, this is him.

He has NHL experience, and I guess he's an alright option for a 7th defenseman, but there was a whole lot more we could have done (i.e. go to a team and trade Frattin a spare defenseman so we don't have to lose a spot) to get better options. I would have gone to some team that had a guy pass through waivers and just said "I'll take him off your hands and will give you Frattin in exchange".

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Just a two-way guys. Nothing to get bent outta shape about. Fraser replacement if they were considering him before releasing him to sign with the Sens.

It still counts against the 50 contract limit, just hoping it is a 1 year deal. 2-way I don't care at all.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I'm surprised any of you would spend more than 3 seconds analyzing this deal.... It's far too insignificant to matter.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He'll play in the AHL and be used a depth injury replacement. Relax everyone

Yeah, and according to Augello from hockeybuzz.com (he's a decent source), the reason was because he was approached by other teams and we were afraid we were going to lose him for the AHL, which really wouldn't have been a big deal. We could have easily brought in a different guy on an AHL deal, like Keith Aulie.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Ya, deal seems a little weird. Further digesting it, there are a few potential reasons for this deal:

1) Worried about Campbell being snagged from his AHL contract.
2) Throw him as a filler role for most of the year while keeping our most promising prospects down in the AHL.
3) And of course, precursor for an another deal

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
First thing I thought of:
Another team had him on their radar.

Then after reading a bit of the posts on the thread:
We're the Islanders supposed to take 5 deadweight/no future contracts in the Grabner deal? They shed salary, Leafs shed contracts. It's not like they were about to take 5 completely useless prospects.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Don't really understand this move. Maybe point to one of Harrington/Loov/Percy making the team? Harrington seems the most likely considering he was on the first practice team the other day with all the other NHL players.

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
I think you need an update on what depth means. I'm not talking about our top end talent, I'm talking about how many players we carry that could play at the NHL level.

We have Polak, Marincin, Robidas, Percy, Granberg, Loov, Brennan and Harrington from #5 down. That's 12 NHL-capable players, all better or similar to Campbell. That's depth.

I guess the reason is that they want Percy, Granberg, Loov and Harrington to stay in AHL and develop the whole season.

Sorry, but more than half of those guys you listed are NOT nhl-calibre. Polak, marincin, robidas, percy, granberg, loov, brennan, they're not NHL-caliber.... and don't say Im just a troll, im not trolling, they legitimately aren't nhl level players which is why we are projected to be a top-3 lottery team. Take off the leafs-goggles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad