Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Andrew Campbell to NHL Deal.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Really...kind of surprising. Thought there were too many guys ahead of him on the depth chart to earn an NHL deal

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So we get rid of decent prospects so we can sign a #7 D-man in Campbell? Makes no sense to me. Our depth on defense seemed great.

He's the replacement for Mark Fraser. He's obviously going to play 6th D in the minors. I don't know why we needed to sign him, but whatever.

Could have just kept him on an AHL deal and give him the same spot.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Can't be any worse of a defenseman than Fraser. He's only 27 so who knows maybe he turns into a solid bottom pairing guy.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
All I can figure is another team was interested in signing him to an NHL deal, but the Leafs felt they wanted him around so they took him on.

Or, maybe there's a deal to be made and having Campbell around for depth helps ease that type of move?

I guess we'll know one way or another.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He's the replacement for Mark Fraser. He's obviously going to play 6th D in the minors. I don't know why we needed to sign him, but whatever.

Could have just kept him on an AHL deal and give him the same spot.

Since we gave him an NHL-contract I'd guess the plan is more than that. He might be a #6 in the AHL, but seems like they want to have him as a call-up, since they don't want to bounce the prospects up and down.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
if this was the plan should have just held onto Nilsson. Open up contract space for this? :laugh:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Why? Hopefully it's vecause a previous Marlies defenseman will be on the Leafs and Campbell will be taking their spot on the Marlies.

No. He could have done that on an AHL deal. It's nothing more than a little bit of injury depth and our AHL 6th defenseman. Obviously not happy with just Brennan and Hunwick as spares.

Percy-Granberg
Loov-Harrington
Brennan-Campbell

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Since we gave him an NHL-contract I'd guess the plan is more than that. He might be a #6 in the AHL, but seems like they want to have him as a call-up, since they don't want to bounce the prospects up and down.

Yeah, but you'd think Brennan and Hunwick would be enough. If there were more than that just sign him then. Whatever. We still have another like 5 spots open.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Immediately what I thought. :laugh:

All those prospects out the door so they could upgrade a plug like Campbell from an AHL to NHL deal. Whatever.

Personally the only thing I don't understand is why throw in Nilsson to a trade to do this when it could have been Frattin instead. Then keep Nilsson for the bottom pairing or whatever you want.

At best, we can get a 5th out of him like Holzer. At worst (and most likely), he's a UFA at the end of the year that we just let go like Brennan and Frattin (if they aren't dumps).

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Last edited:

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
if this was the plan should have just held onto Nilsson. Open up contract space for this? :laugh:

Completely agree. Nilsson or Finn.

I was fine with the Grabner trade when it happened because I though they might need those contract spots in the future, but if you are just going to use them for Campbell then there was no point.

Overall it really isnt a big deal but just seems like bad management to me.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In all my time, I don't think I've ever heard of Andrew Campbell before. He's an upgrade on Matt Finn or Tom Nilsson?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
In all my time, I don't think I've ever heard of Andrew Campbell before. He's an upgrade on Matt Finn or Tom Nilsson?

He's not replacing them directly. The intention behind trading Finn and Nilsson wasn't because they had a great player in Campbell.

Campbell will be the callup placeholder (aka the bi***) without having to yo-yo a prospect like Percy, Loov, etc. If they need a defender to sit in the press box for a long road trip, Campbell is a lot better to call up then a young player with potential is it not?

He's not very good and let's hope we don't get to see him too much if at all.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Our depth on defense seemed great??? What team have you been watching? lol

I think you need an update on what depth means. I'm not talking about our top end talent, I'm talking about how many players we carry that could play at the NHL level.

We have Polak, Marincin, Robidas, Percy, Granberg, Loov, Brennan and Harrington from #5 down. That's 12 NHL-capable players, all better or similar to Campbell. That's depth.

I guess the reason is that they want Percy, Granberg, Loov and Harrington to stay in AHL and develop the whole season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad