Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Andrew Campbell to NHL Deal.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Yeah, way to become successful... :shakehead

Percy better make the team, he almost did last year.

And if he stays in the AHL what will happen? Completely collapse as a prospect and never make the NHL? :laugh: The impatience here is hilarious. The Leafs have said time and time again they wont rush prospects, and will give plenty of time to develop and develop properly. There will be opportunities next year with the likelihood of Polak being a UFA, and Robidas getting much older. For the record I am a fan of Percy. The Leafs this year will likely be a gong show and a loosing team. Why not let a prospect ply his trade in the AHL this year on what likely will be a winning team.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
I think you need an update on what depth means. I'm not talking about our top end talent, I'm talking about how many players we carry that could play at the NHL level.

We have Polak, Marincin, Robidas, Percy, Granberg, Loov, Brennan and Harrington from #5 down. That's 12 NHL-capable players, all better or similar to Campbell. That's depth.

I guess the reason is that they want Percy, Granberg, Loov and Harrington to stay in AHL and develop the whole season.

I think you're being a little bit presumptuous, many here thought Finn was a lock but it didn't take much to move him out. The highlighted players are from from proven NHL players and Robidas was NHL quality but is he now?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think you're being a little bit presumptuous, many here thought Finn was a lock but it didn't take much to move him out. The highlighted players are from from proven NHL players and Robidas was NHL quality but is he now?

I'm not saying they are proven, more that they can be called up to do a job in the big league to some extent.

As I said a few posts up, I'm talking about organizational depth. That's what Campbell can provide, and that's what I think we already have. No team has good depth of proven NHL players, after all.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
People say depth and they think that means Campbell is a lock for NHL time. He's just in case injuries happen and we need an NHL defenceman. It probably means they don't want to have Percy and Lööv getting thrusted into an NHL situation when they aren't ready. They'll play next year, as long as they're ready. This assures management that they won't have to force the kids to play NHL games. It doesn't mean Campbell is ahead of them on the depth chart, just means he can play if needed.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
No it's not better. What is it with everybody that don't get the importance of NHL EXPERINCE for young guys? Especially when being an injury call up is the real first chance into becoming and earning an NHL job.
Further more whatever happen to earning your job? Both Percy and Loov down right to Valiev and Harrington have been better than this bum why does he get the reward of NHL pay check? You guys forget that even the youngsters would like to get paid?

This is an old man Lou the games past my over decision written all over the place. As much of change that has happen bringing Lou in brought this organization back to it's methods that got this team in the position it is today. Nothings changed I'm afraid but they still have some time to prove me wrong. The start of the season who they sent down based on merit of earning it will say a lot because right now if they do what it looks like they're doing they've contradicted themselves as a management team and there is no point in following the Leafs this year.

Rebuilding teams don't make it impossible for there youth to make the team they make them the focal point.
I said earlier that the leafs seem to want to do it differently than others. I don't remember another rebuilding team blocking prospects from making team. I don't understand why we dont want to integrate some youth onto the roster

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006

Thank you. That's all I've been trying to say.

Exactly.

Every team can name off 5 AHL callups. Doesn't mean they're all of the same calibre, however.

At the start of a rebuild depth is what you lack the most.
Agreed 1000000 %.
I consider these bodies more than the actual meaning of depth.
Depth to me means if someone gets hurt or whatever, players can step in and pick up the slack.
Lundqvist got hurt in NY, Talbot came in. Ryan got hurt in Ottawa, Stone came in. Kane was out, Teravainen was solid.
If Kadri/Bernier/JVR/Rielly get hurt, game over right now.
Agreed 1000000 % with you as well.
I'm not saying they are proven, more that they can be called up to do a job in the big league to some extent.

I'm not satisfied with having players that are just bodies. Heck, we could both be called up by the Leafs since we probably can both skate decently and hold a stick... That's what you seem to be satisfied with. That's not depth. I don't think any one of Polak, Marincin, Robidas, Percy, Granberg, Loov, Brennan belong in the NHL, or have the potential to. Polak will be out of the NHL within 2 years. Robidas will be out of the league in even less time. Marincin was dealt for Brad Ross.. that should tell you how bad he is. Without exaggeration Marincin's had some of the worst giveaways in the preseason for the Leafs. We don't have depth at defence man.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
People say depth and they think that means Campbell is a lock for NHL time. He's just in case injuries happen and we need an NHL defenceman. It probably means they don't want to have Percy and Lööv getting thrusted into an NHL situation when they aren't ready. They'll play next year, as long as they're ready. This assures management that they won't have to force the kids to play NHL games. It doesn't mean Campbell is ahead of them on the depth chart, just means he can play if needed.

Since I'm the one who has mentioned depth, I'm not sure what lead you to believe that I have that opinion?

Percy and Lööv is more ready for NHL than Campbell is. Now I'm sure management would rather let them develop so they are more than just ready.

I'm not satisfied with having players that are just bodies. Heck, we could both be called up by the Leafs since we probably can both skate decently and hold a stick... That's what you seem to be satisfied with. That's not depth. I don't think any one of Polak, Marincin, Robidas, Percy, Granberg, Loov, Brennan belong in the NHL, or have the potential to. Polak will be out of the NHL within 2 years. Robidas will be out of the league in even less time. Marincin was dealt for Brad Ross.. that should tell you how bad he is. Without exaggeration Marincin's had some of the worst giveaways in the preseason for the Leafs. We don't have depth at defence man.

You jump to a lot of weird conclusions here.

First of all, I mentioned that we have organizational depth. That we have options that can be called up in case of injuries, so we don't need Campbell. You jump me for that opinion, based on the above? Organizational depth will never be quality NHL players. There hasn't been a team with depth like that of that quality in the cap era.

You talk about what I'm satisfied with? I haven't even said what I want, so how do you have any idea about that? Just more personal assaults instead of actually discussing the topic.

Polak has performed as a bottom pairing guy 5-on-5 for 8 seasons now, and is one of the better performing PK guys in the league among defensemen. That's not based on him being a Leaf, as you implied the last post, that's based on having watched him a lot over the last 5 seasons or so as well as a complete statistical comparison of every D-man to get NHL time the last three years. Which is the same basis I have for my opinion on Marincin, with less games watched.

Oh, and you really think it's a good idea to judge players based on who they were traded for?

I'll re-iterate. We have organizational depth, with a lot of players that are in some way NHL-ready. Most teams have about 8-9 of these. We had 12 even before this signing. Therefor this signing is unnecessary, especially in the light of making a trade solely to open up contract spots earlier where we gave up a D-man who can do what Campbell can offer. This is unless this is made solely so that we can keep Percy, Lööv and Harrington down for further development no matter what happens. Whether we have roster depth in case our best D-men gets injured is not of interest, as a signing of Campbell does absolutely nothing for that anyway. He's there in case we get a lot of injuries and need someone to play. We already had others who could do that.

Do you disagree with that?

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Since I'm the one who has mentioned depth, I'm not sure what lead you to believe that I have that opinion?

Percy and Lööv is more ready for NHL than Campbell is. Now I'm sure management would rather let them develop so they are more than just ready.

Literally had nothing to do with you, just referring to the people saying stuff along the lines of this being a depth signing and that that means he will be our 7th defenceman. It's essentially the entire first page which is why I didn't bother quoting and just posted an opinion.

And my post is that, while Lööv and Percy may be (For sure are) better than Campbell, having them be on short call for injuries may hinder future development. If they can't sustain a full NHL season, they won't want them up for a small sample of games, especially in a potentially hostile environment. Campbell on the other hand, can be thrown to the wolves since he is not part of the future plan. Now personally, if they were going to have a player with the role of Campbell's on this roster, I'd rather have it be one of Macwilliam or Nilsson. I don't really see why Campbell needs a roster spot when you consider all of the dumping we went through just to have these spots open.

I'm just glad he's not Fraser, and I highly doubt Campbell plays anymore than bottom pairing minutes on BOTH the Marlies and Leafs. He's likely Valiev's partner on the bottom line.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Literally had nothing to do with you, just referring to the people saying stuff along the lines of this being a depth signing and that that means he will be our 7th defenceman. It's essentially the entire first page which is why I didn't bother quoting and just posted an opinion.

And my post is that, while Lööv and Percy may be (For sure are) better than Campbell, having them be on short call for injuries may hinder future development. If they can't sustain a full NHL season, they won't want them up for a small sample of games, especially in a potentially hostile environment. Campbell on the other hand, can be thrown to the wolves since he is not part of the future plan. Now personally, if they were going to have a player with the role of Campbell's on this roster, I'd rather have it be one of Macwilliam or Nilsson. I don't really see why Campbell needs a roster spot when you consider all of the dumping we went through just to have these spots open.

I'm just glad he's not Fraser, and I highly doubt Campbell plays anymore than bottom pairing minutes on BOTH the Marlies and Leafs. He's likely Valiev's partner on the bottom line.

Oh. Sorry, I jumped to conclusions there. I'm getting too grumpy, should probably take a break from the forums.

I fully agree with pretty much everything you say here.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
All I can figure is another team was interested in signing him to an NHL deal, but the Leafs felt they wanted him around so they took him on.

Or, maybe there's a deal to be made and having Campbell around for depth helps ease that type of move?

I guess we'll know one way or another.

This is the only thing that makes sense....I say it is a deal that is going to happen.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
They should have just gave the contract spot to me. About the same will come from it.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Has nobody else noticed the connection to this contract..? Kyle Dubas was his agent before he became the GM for SSM and Andrew Campbell also remains close friends with him and he practiced all summer under Sheldon Keefe for the past 2 years in the Soo.

This is where the contract comes from, they know him as a person and a player and there will be no surprises as to what he brings to the table. It's not rocket science here guys, do some research.

What is your point here exactly?

I'm sure they know him very well, which means they should know his limitations and qualities as a player. People are not claiming that they gave out the contract in the dark, they are complaining because the obvious reasons feel a bit meh. Especially in light of us opening up contract spots by moving D-men that were equally good but younger and more valuable.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Has nobody else noticed the connection to this contract..? Kyle Dubas was his agent before he became the GM for SSM and Andrew Campbell also remains close friends with him and he practiced all summer under Sheldon Keefe for the past 2 years in the Soo.

This is where the contract comes from, they know him as a person and a player and there will be no surprises as to what he brings to the table. It's not rocket science here guys, do some research.

Thanks for the info. Kyle Dubas in particular has really brought in his own newer, younger "old boys' network" to the Leafs. This stuff has been a hindrance to success in many NHL locales over the years because these hires/signing aren't subject to the same scrutiny as merit hires/signings.

One has got to believe that none of the Leafs' analytics people could possibly justify wasting a two year NHL contract on this body.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Thanks for the info. Kyle Dubas in particular has really brought in his own newer, younger "old boys' network" to the Leafs. This stuff has been a hindrance to success in many NHL locales over the years because these hires/signing aren't subject to the same scrutiny as merit hires/signings.

One has got to believe that none of the Leafs' analytics people could possibly justify wasting a two year NHL contract on this body.

Holy crap, they did give him 2 years. :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad