Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Andreas Johnson to ELC + Brennan to 1-yr deal

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think people are forgetting that some guys like Verheague (sp?) may start with Orlando. Also, the Marlies carry about 5 or so extras and work them through the line up, cover injuries, etc.

We should also have one or two yet to be determined prospects there as returns from "the purge".

It's too early to project the Marlies line up - too many variables.

You are right.
Dubas preached that he wanted the ECHL to be part of the development and not just a league to banish underachieving players to. I think he will start a few rookies here and let them prove themselves

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nice to see the depth on the Marlies getting good. I think he will do well on the smaller ice.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Person of Interest: Maple Leafs’ Andreas Johnson

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...maple-leafs-forward-andreas-johnson-frolunda/

Johnson, a skilled speedster who possesses serious upside, has shown excellent progression since being selected late in the 2013 draft. The Leafs are hoping he can join the likes of countrymen Henrik Zetterberg and Patric Hornqvist as seventh-round picks that turn out to be hidden gems.

With that in mind, here’s what you need to know about Andreas Johnson.

Height: 5-foot-9
Weight: 172 pounds
Position: Right Wing
Shoots: Left
Drafted: 202nd overall by Maple Leafs in 2013
Contract status: Three-year, entry-level deal. Set to be RFA in 2018

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Good to see Johnson signed. Everything I have read of him says that he will play his contract out in Frolunda. So it's one more season there, but it's good that we have him signed all ready. Few days back he said that he will be here only for prospect camp, but hopefully he still stays at least part of the main camp too.

SEL is not bad place to be. Usually good coaching and he will get opportunity to be one of the leading players there. I'll hope he can sneak into team Sweden for next years WHC.

Pholus

May 23, 2014

If this is true, I really don't understand the point of signing him now. They hold his rights until the 2017 draft, so why burn a year off his ELC now? If they waited until after the 2015-16 season to sign, it would still be a 3 yr ELC, except he would be spending all 3 years in NA (AHL and possibly NHL). That is the kind of foresight I would expect from a team that has a dedicated capologist. :shakehead

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If this is true, I really don't understand the point of signing him now. They hold his rights until the 2017 draft, so why burn a year off his ELC now? If they waited until after the 2015-16 season to sign, it would still be a 3 yr ELC, except he would be spending all 3 years in NA (AHL and possibly NHL). That is the kind of foresight I would expect from a team that has a dedicated capologist. :shakehead

Pretty sure his ELC doesn't start until he plays a game for the Leafs/Marlies

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Toronto Sun, Kyle Dubas said that the Toronto Maple Leafs wanted to get Andreas Johnson locked in with a contract.

But the Leafs aren’t about to fast-track Johnson to the NHL, as they’ve proceeded cautiously with Brown and Nylander. Under international agreement, Johnson can only play in the NHL in 2015-16 or go back to Frolunda of the SHL. Which is exactly what Dubas intends after Johnson stops by the club’s prospect camp in July.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/05/maple-leafs-chat-with-top-prospects-mcdavid-eichel

No one is saying Swedish winger Andreas Johnson and defenceman Viktor Loov are going to break into the lineup soon, but Loov has come over as a hard-rock defenceman on this year’s Marlies and now Johnson has an entry level deal with the team. Chosen 202nd and 209th respectively, they could be the late bloomers that have eluded the Leafs.

“We’re not really in a position to be picky in our situation,” said Dubas, in reference to a sparse number of higher Leaf selections they’ve retained in recent years. “You have to give the credit to (amateur scouting director) Dave Morrison and his staff. You look at Johnson, Loov and Connor Brown (a sixth rounder who became an OHL all-star and AHL rookie sniper). They’ve taken some heat over the years but got us some good players late in the draft.”

Johnson was rookie of the year in the Swedish Hockey League in 2013-14 and like 2014 top pick William Nylander, was a teen who played against men in Europe. He had 22 goals in 55 games, one of the best marksmen in the SHL.

“I wasn’t here when Andreas was drafted, but to have seen him and hear back from (new director of player development) Scott Pellerin, it’s clear he’s made strides,” Dubas said. “We wanted to get him locked in with a contract.”

But the Leafs aren’t about to fast-track Johnson to the NHL, as they’ve proceeded cautiously with Brown and Nylander. Under international agreement, Johnson can only play in the NHL in 2015-16 or go back to Frolunda of the SHL. Which is exactly what Dubas intends after Johnson stops by the club’s prospect camp in July.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
According to the Toronto Sun, Kyle Dubas says the Toronto Maple Leafs "wanted to get Andreas Johnson locked in with a contract."

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/05/maple-leafs-chat-with-top-prospects-mcdavid-eichel

Love our Swedish prospets

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com

It won't burn a level of his ELC by playing in Sweden. The dedicated capologist has it covered, don't fret.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Pretty sure his ELC doesn't start until he plays a game for the Leafs/Marlies

It won't burn a level of his ELC by playing in Sweden. The dedicated capologist has it covered, don't fret.

I'm really hoping this is true, because under the old CBA (aka before 2013), signing players to ELCs and loaning them back to European clubs after they have turned 20 years old burned off the 1st year of their ELC (see Viktor Loov & Tom Nilsson as examples).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Johnson is signed but I don't believe he is coming to NA next year.

There will likely be a wait before Leafs fans get a chance to see recently signed forward Andreas Johnson play in North America. The 2013 seventh round pick was inked to a three-year entry-level deal by Toronto on Thursday, but contractual obligations for another season with Frolunda of the SHL will probably keep the 20-year-old winger in Sweden for another year.

“I wasn’t here when Andreas was drafted, but to have seen him and hear back from Scott Pellerin(the Leafs newly named Director of Player Development), it’s clear he’s made strides,†Assistant GM Kyle Dubas said to the Toronto Sun’s Lance Hornby. “We wanted to get him locked in with a contract.â€

Johnson won the SHL Rookie of the Year in 2013-14 and finished fifth in the league with 22 goals last season, but the expectation is that he will need to get stronger and more defensively aware to be ready to play in the NHL. Due to an agreement between the SHL and NHL, the 5’10†183lb speedster will be free to participate in the Leafs rookie scrimmages in early July and training camp in September, but Johnson would have to make the NHL roster to not go back to Sweden.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Johnson is signed but I don't believe he is coming to NA next year.

He wants to play in Sweden for another year and be a leader on his team before coming overseas, and I don't blame him. Its nice to have prospects developing across the ocean, it worked well for Nylander.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He wants to play in Sweden for another year and be a leader on his team before coming overseas, and I don't blame him. Its nice to have prospects developing across the ocean, it worked well for Nylander.

The only disadvantage really is the big Euro ice and its a different game in NA in the AHL.

What it might mean is an additional development year for Johnson so that when he comes over will need a adjustment year in the AHL and by staying in Europe it means not next year but the year after when that happens.

So that puts his NHL arrival time 3 years away with 1 in Europe and 1 in the AHL before he arrives.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
It barely even matters if it burns off a year of his ELC or not. Signing him earlier is a vote of confidence and should encourage him to come over when his SHL contract expires. Maybe he'd have been just as willing to sign in a year's time, but why risk it by leaving the option to re-sign in the SHL wide open?

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
It barely even matters if it burns off a year of his ELC or not. Signing him earlier is a vote of confidence and should encourage him to come over when his SHL contract expires. Maybe he'd have been just as willing to sign in a year's time, but why risk it by leaving the option to re-sign in the SHL wide open?

Hmm, since when the players who have the possibility to move to NHL in the future don't have NHL clauses in their contracts?

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Nice to see the depth on the Marlies getting good. I think he will do well on the smaller ice.

Have you seen him play? He's pretty shy when it comes to contact. If anything, he's a kid that will do worse on smaller ice.

Also LOL at the guy saying Hull/Stamkos? More realistic pls. Maybe Cammalleri? Or Sykora?

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
The one thing from the highlight videos that I saw is that he's always in a position to shoot. I like that about a player that is a bit smaller and is good with the puck... that as many people have mentioned here, he's got that quick release and good one-timer to be set up i that open position.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
I think people are forgetting that some guys like Verheague (sp?) may start with Orlando. Also, the Marlies carry about 5 or so extras and work them through the line up, cover injuries, etc.

We should also have one or two yet to be determined prospects there as returns from "the purge".

It's too early to project the Marlies line up - too many variables.

probably true, but i'd suspect gauthier more likely to start in orlando simply because he hasn't been playing hockey as long as other prospects. verhaeghe doesn't really have anything to prove at the ohl level anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad