Leafs shut out Oilers B2B. First time same team shutout since Nov 1954

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As a lifelong Leafs fan, it’s been so long since we were actually good defensively. Feels weird, but I like it.

Dubas did a great job putting this D together for just $19.5 mil in cap space, without having to give up much in trades:

Rielly - Brodie
Muzzin - Holl
Dermott - Bogo

Brodie and Muzzin are studs, Bogo has been a perfect #6 dman for us, and the 3 of them cost us minimal assets AND minimal cap space. I always figured we’d have to trade one of Marner or Nylander to fix the D, but nope!

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
3rd shutout incoming Wednesday as well. Book it.

I mean it's possible but HIGHLY unlikely. Shutting a team out 3 times in a row is rare. I also think McDavid and Drai being silent 3 games in a row is also unlikely.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I am waiting to see @TheNumber4 and read about how trash the Leafs are.

That poster was the one who cheered when Matthew's got injured. Zero class.

But he does not represent most Oiler fans.

Reactions: TheNumber4

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
While there are certainly a lot more back-to-back games this year, there are usually at least 2 or 3 a year.

Yes, and if I counted right, this year the Maple Leaf have 24 back-to-back against the same team. That's probably a tiny bit more than 2-3 a year.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Yes, and if I counted right, this year the Maple Leaf have 24 back-to-back against the same team. That's probably a tiny bit more than 2-3 a year.

There’s no argument that it was more likely to happen this year than in previous years. I was trying to say that it was surprising that it hadn’t happened in 66 years. And thus, it had more legitimacy than the Leafs being the first team to win 3 straight road games against Alberta teams.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
There’s no argument that it was more likely to happen this year than in previous years. I was trying to say that it was surprising that it hadn’t happened in 66 years. And thus, it had more legitimacy than the Leafs being the first team to win 3 straight road games against Alberta teams.

It did happen in 66 years, Philly did it just last week.

Is just that the Leafs didn't do it in 66 years. Back to you to explain the "more legitimacy" stuff.

Reactions: Another AZ

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
TJ Brodie absolutely locked McDavid down both games. This guy is a gem, I guess his experience in Calgary going head to head really helped. Solid all around D, Campbell was great in the first game, Hutch was good tonight too.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
The Leafs are a hell of a team now, they have a great shot at ending their drought this season, especially with the division they are in.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
TJ Brodie absolutely locked McDavid down both games. This guy is a gem, I guess his experience in Calgary going head to head really helped. Solid all around D, Campbell was great in the first game, Hutch was good tonight too.
Wonderful matchup observation. I don't actually know about the Brodie-Rielly pairing, but am I correct in assuming Rielly is more offensive and it's different and more defensive than his Giordano pairing role?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
At least twice I heard reporters say "that's a pretty powerful team you guys shut down." and I don't understand why they say it it's not true.

The Edmonton Oilers, are 2, MAYBE 3 players and that's it, beyond the top 3 forwards the rest of the team is garbage if Mcdavid doesn't produce Edmonton won't win

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At least twice I heard reporters say "that's a pretty powerful team you guys shut down." and I don't understand why they say it it's not true.

The Edmonton Oilers, are 2, MAYBE 3 players and that's it, beyond the top 3 forwards the rest of the team is garbage if Mcdavid doesn't produce Edmonton won't win

Because they're both part of the team? And in order to shut down Edmonton, that also includes shutting down them?

Oilers don't typically have trouble scoring goals. Doesn't matter if it's largely due to two players. So it's going to be a big feat shutting down a team that can usually score, even if that offense comes from two guys.

Reactions: Beau Knows

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

Hell some Oiler fans were angry at me for saying Pulju was not turning into a top line player lol

He is on a line with McDavid and does nothing.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Wonderful matchup observation. I don't actually know about the Brodie-Rielly pairing, but am I correct in assuming Rielly is more offensive and it's different and more defensive than his Giordano pairing role?

It's the ideal 2 way pairing. Rielly provides great offense and he's been average or slightly better than average defensively. He's doing a great job at clearing the zone and breaking passes out. He hasn't been the best in puck battles. That's where Brodie shines, guys stick is always in the right spot, uses his feet, plays physical, reads plays well, he's already become one of my fav. leaf players. Great defensively, sub-par I guess you can say offensively but the job he does in the neutral zone/d zone is outstanding. Great on odd man rushes, puck battles and plays the opponents top forward hard every night. The way they play it seems Rielly carries their pairing in the offensive zone, Brodie in the defensive. Both are great at making passes, but Rielly is the better playmaker shooter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad