Leafs shut out Oilers B2B. First time same team shutout since Nov 1954

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
The Leafs did for the first time in 66 years something another team did just earlier this week.

I think it’s more telling about the last 66 years than about the current Leafs.

It’s probably more telling also about the Oilers and the Sabres, who are once again on the wrong end of a weird stat.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
The Leafs did for the first time in 66 years something another team did just earlier this week.

It’s probably more telling also about the Oilers and the Sabres, who are once again on the wrong end of a weird stat.

Yah you're right , Edmonton is only the top offensive team statistically in hockey, not thread worthy. ^^

ScottyPrime

May 13, 2018
Leafs literally gave up 70% and 56% of the scoring chances Sat/Mon. They didn't play good defence in either game so not quite sure how that has anything to do with it. They literally had their own defensemen admit in both games in interview that they thought they were getting bailed out by the goalie. They won both games because their 2nd/3rd string goalies went off and are better than any goalie in Edmonton regardless, but the teams in front of the goalies were almost the opposite.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

Oilers were 8-2 going into the series, with 2 of the best players in the league a top the scoring race, with an above average team, were shutout back to back. While Buffalo has yet to win more than 6 games this year. Big shocker Buffalo and perpetual last place team can't score and loses two in a row.

As someone mentioned earlier these obscure records are ripe to be broken with series games being played this year.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Leafs literally gave up 70% and 56% of the scoring chances Sat/Mon. They didn't play good defence in either game so not quite sure how that has anything to do with it. They literally had their own defensemen admit in both games in interview that they thought they were getting bailed out by the goalie. They won both games because their 2nd/3rd string goalies went off and are better than any goalie in Edmonton regardless, but the teams in front of the goalies were almost the opposite.
Every dman will credit their goalie for the win. It's a platitude. What were the scoring chances at even strength?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He really didn't get enough credit for Gio's success over the last several years.
Flames fans hyped him a bit when he signed here and he looked meh the first 10 or so games. Since then he's looked great. Very intelligent player. Exactly the type Rielly hasn't really had, ever.

Reactions: Another AZ

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Flames fans hyped him a bit when he signed here and he looked meh the first 10 or so games. Since then he's looked great. Very intelligent player. Exactly the type Rielly hasn't really had, ever.
He's the type of player you don't notice until he's gone. Can make the first outlet pass and calm things down.

He was also consistently one of the Flames best playoff players.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Oh wait here it is

tenor.gif

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He's the type of player you don't notice until he's gone. Can make the first outlet pass and calm things down.

He was also consistently one of the Flames best playoff players.
Yup, guy just gets it done. Doesn't try and do too much. Never out of position. The best partner for Rielly we've seen here, sadly, was Hainsey. Hainsey is like Brodie, but couldn't skate, at all. But he was smart enough to make simple plays and give the puck to the more talented player.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I think the "record" is that they had back-to-back shutouts against the same team. Which is another "record" due to the odd nature of this season.

Side note: the last time the Leafs shutout the same team back to back, the team they shutout won the Stanley cup...
So you're telling me to put my life savings on the Oilers? Done.

ScottyPrime

May 13, 2018
Every dman will credit their goalie for the win. It's a platitude. What were the scoring chances at even strength?

Not filtered for PP, but I think anyone that watched both games can be sure that Toronto actually had the better PP. Edmonton dominated Toronto in scoring chances, especially Saturday. Toronto won both games because of their goalies having great games and Edmonton having worse than even bad goaltending. The teams in front of the goalies were entirely another story.

Attachments

• Sat.png
    Sat.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Mon.png
    Mon.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: Another AZ

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I think the "record" is that they had back-to-back shutouts against the same team. Which is another "record" due to the odd nature of this season.

Side note: the last time the Leafs shutout the same team back to back, the team they shutout won the Stanley cup...

While there are certainly a lot more back-to-back games this year, there are usually at least 2 or 3 a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad