Post-Game Talk: Leafs Shut Out Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
1. Benoit doesn't need to take that fight. It didn't benefit the team in any way. I love his willingness, and as I said I will take that willingness in any form at this point. So I am OK with the fight on a larger scale. That said, in a vacuum, Benoit taking a fight with less than 10 minutes to play in a 2-0 lead is exactly what you don't want to do. It serves more harm then good. As proven by the following 2-5 mins of gameplay before we were rescued by a penalty call on LA. We were well on our way to lulling the entire building to sleep, including the Kings themselves, and the fight woke everyone up. It worked out fine this time around but that is not something you want to see at that time of the game, on the road, with a 2 goal lead against a very good LA team. Again, I love Benoit's willingness and desire to step up, so beggers cannot be choosers in that sense. He's just gotta be a bit smarter on the timing.

2. Of course Willy and Jarny had great games. I was trying to bring to light some of the more detail oriented aspects of the game that have been largely absent all season. ie the puck battles, the physical engagement, outworking the opponent etc..

When you’re trying to fill a half dozen gaping holes on this maple leaf team, and your name is Benoit, you take EVERY fight EVERY time.

This team needs an idgaf attitude worse than the 2003 senators did

Playing like this benefits the team in many, many, many ways. It may not be immediately obvious, but keep that kind of attitude up and this kind of play pays big big dividends every game. Even the ones where you don’t fight.

But you never turn it down. Not on this team. They need the emotion and the passion and they need to know not everyone wearing the blue and white is a massive p***y

Shit, I NEED TO KNOW THAT

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Why would I use points percentage to determine if they are a losing team?

It's great they get an extra point for losing in overtime. Good on them for that. But using points percentage only obscures their actual won-loss record.

Which, at 18-17, or one game over .500 if you prefer, isn't very good.
We get the extra point for tieing in regulation, we get nothing extra for losing in OT although winning in OT gets an extra point.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Salming and phaneuf?

Red Horner?
D.Phanef?

Salming was offered the C but turned it down

Dion was the last Dman to wear it.

Close on Red Horner, he was actually the 2nd Dman to wear it.

The first was a guy who had the 2nd longest tenure with the Leafs, the longest being Conn Smythe of course. The first Dman to wear the C was HoFer Clarence "Happy" Day. Day spent almost his entire life with the Leafs starting as a player and Captain with the St Pats who then traded his kelly greens for the royal blue and C of the Leafs. Once his career was over he refereed a bit then came back to coach and finally becoming Smythes assistant GM

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
When you’re trying to fill a half dozen gaping holes on this maple leaf team, and your name is Benoit, you take EVERY fight EVERY time.

This team needs an idgaf attitude worse than the 2003 senators did

Playing like this benefits the team in many, many, many ways. It may not be immediately obvious, but keep that kind of attitude up and this kind of play pays big big dividends every game. Even the ones where you don’t fight.

But you never turn it down. Not on this team. They need the emotion and the passion and they need to know not everyone wearing the blue and white is a massive p***y

Shit, I NEED TO KNOW THAT
I'm not sure what's being misunderstood by my comments.

I welcome the willingness and stones to step up. We need more of that. For example, when he stepped up the other night vs. a bigger and more veteran Gudbranson. Loved it. Right time, right response. When he stepped up after Matthews hit last night. Loved it. Right time, right place.

I don't think anyone who's played the game at any level would suggest his fight against Englund was the right time or place in the game to engage.

It happens, especially with young players trying to carve out a spot in a lineup. Which he has certainly started to do. But it's an entirely different narrative if LAK score on the ensuing pressure that they created immediately after he dropped the gloves.

He didn't need to give our bench life or send the NHL a message on how tough he and our team is. The life you think he brought our bench actually went to the Kings.

Love what Benoit has brought these last couple weeks. I need more of it. But he still has to learn to pick his spots. Which I am sure he will over time.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Why would I use points percentage to determine if they are a losing team?

It's great they get an extra point for losing in overtime. Good on them for that. But using points percentage only obscures their actual won-loss record.

Which, at 18-17, or one game over .500 if you prefer, isn't very good.
Except that winning percentage has no impact on if they make the playoffs or not. They could win 41 games and lose 41 in OT and wind up winning the President's Cup while having a .5 win percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad