Post-Game Talk: Leafs Shut Out Kings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I'm happy they played a great game but I'm pissed they've played like crap in so many games this season when they're obviously capable of so much more. Whatever, no point in getting to high after a win or too low after a loss, hopefully they'll be interested in competing when the playoffs start, we'll see.
Still over half the season left. No sense writing them off until the playoffs already.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Great game all around game from everyone in black with a Leaf on the front of their jerseys. Can we please go back to BLUE and WHITE only!

Jones was solid in net when he needed to be. If Samsonov was playing, I bet we lose that game 5 -2.

The refereeing was in question once again. What else is new? Infractions missed ON BOTH teams.

However, the most egregious penalty missed was just before the Benoit/Englund fight. Right before the fight started, Benoit was skating away up ice, and away from Englund. However, Englund proceeded to grab Benoit. That should have resulted in an extra 2 minutes for Englund.

Englund should have either received an interference, holding, or even an instigator penalty. This was done RIGHT in front of the Ref and he called nothing extra on Englund.

I would prefer that ALL penalties be called as they are written in the rule book! Missing the extra 2 on Englund favored the Kings IMHO. Also, Benoit got injured on this needless play too.

Other than that, our Leafs started off the road trip extremely well. I hope they play this way for the last two games of this west coast trip !!!

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
The post game presser was pretty bold

Shelly said right outloud, and on camera that 59-91-88 has been the teams best line this season!

A mild rebuke to 34-16? Knies isn't the problem there, he's played a pretty good game, hard on the puck, first back, beast on the forecheck. He just defers way too often to the two moneymen, the whole league sees it. He needs to start going hard to the net, be a little more selfish and put pucks on. The other two would have to elevate their games.

That said, TJ again playing the passenger with Mo Reilly, and Mo having a great year despite of it, he's not quite Letang in his prime, but he is having a great year. We don't appreciate him enough, he could easily wear the C for this team and do it justice. JT is doing a great job as team rep, and it's his until he decides it's not.

Trivia

Name the First Leafs Dman to wear the C?

Name the last Dman to wear it?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Still over half the season left. No sense writing them off until the playoffs already.
Not sure what you mean, what makes you think I'm "writing them off"?

All I said was that I don't care much if we catch Boston or not and it's more important that we're ready to play the way we can in the playoffs. Like which team shows up in the spring, the one that played like contenders last night or the one that played pond hockey against CLB?

Play our best hockey and we'll be tough for anyone to beat. Play pond hockey and we're going nowhere regardless of who we play.

Reactions: Evilhomer

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't think Craig Simpson nor Gord Miller know what "Schmeagle" actually means. I've heard both of them use it this year more than once, unless it's some kind of inside joke. An inside joke that has grade 8 written all over it!
I had no idea Cassie Campbell was a Colour Commentator in the US.
Does she do all Kings games?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Great win last night. Was not easy to stay up for given how early I start work but was worth it thankfully. There’s not much worse from a sports perspective than staying up til 1am and killing your sleep to watch your team lay an egg.

Conventional thinking would say with best team a win in the bag it should be 6 points now through California and it should be, but conventional leafism tells us fans we should be more concerned about SJS and ANA at last and third last in the league lol

Here’s hoping we show up with quality efforts like this one. Given his reasonably light workload last night, I fully expect Jones in net tonight. Hildeby will get his chance, but I don’t think it hurts to just let him practice and be around the guys a bit first.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Great win last night. Was not easy to stay up for given how early I start work but was worth it thankfully. There’s not much worse from a sports perspective than staying up til 1am and killing your sleep to watch your team lay an egg.

Conventional thinking would say with best team a win in the bag it should be 6 points now through California and it should be, but conventional leafism tells us fans we should be more concerned about SJS and ANA at last and third last in the league lol
Spending over a thousand dollars to go watch live with your family while your team lays an egg?

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010

Shelly said right outloud, and on camera that 59-91-88 has been the teams best line this season!

A mild rebuke to 34-16? Knies isn't the problem there, he's played a pretty good game, hard on the puck, first back, beast on the forecheck. He just defers way too often to the two moneymen, the whole league sees it. He needs to start going hard to the net, be a little more selfish and put pucks on. The other two would have to elevate their games.

That said, TJ again playing the passenger with Mo Reilly, and Mo having a great year despite of it, he's not quite Letang in his prime, but he is having a great year. We don't appreciate him enough, he could easily wear the C for this team and do it justice. JT is doing a great job as team rep, and it's his until he decides it's not.

Trivia

Keefe only stated the obvious . Tavares/ nylander line has been better for most games this year. Just seems to be a good mix with those 3. Nothing really more to it.
Mo should be captain and always should of been. Leads by example , 1st guy to stand up for his teamates ( gio to), takes a team discount on his newest contract. He's the consumate team guy.
Rob ramage
Dion

Reactions: arso40

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I think the benefit of playing a wild card team in the first round would be significant. But to get there, they need to take the easy points from teams like Anaheim, San Jose and the Islanders in the next 4 games.
you do realize that usually the difference between say a 3rd seed or a wild card team is pretty small usually, for example they could literally have the same points. like the Avalanche last year played Seattle after winning there division while Dallas played Minnesota. both Minnesota and Seattle had the same number of wins. was Seattle a significantly easier matchup? I don't think so.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I personally think that’s pretty debatable. I think Matthews, Nylander and Knies together was better, but 34 & 88 have been our best two forwards this year so I don’t think that should be surprising.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I personally think that’s pretty debatable. I think Matthews, Nylander and Knies together was better, but 34 & 88 have been our best two forwards this year so I don’t think that should be surprising.

That was the thought that went through my mind.

One common denominator though.

Last night might have been the best for Bertuzzi, who was rewarded for his efforts.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Trivia

Salming and phaneuf?

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021

Trivia

Red Horner?
D.Phanef?

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
pts / (gp X 2) is pts %

game won / games played is winning %

You are correct.

The poster I responded to accused me of manipulating their record to make my point. Except I used winning percentage. Which, as you have shown, is calculated using their won-loss record and nothing more.

Right now the Leafs are one game above .500.

Reactions: egd27

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Great game and great win but the NHL should be embarrassed for letting LA wear the ridiculous tinfoil helmets. They are so amateur and gimmicky.
Real clown show stuff.
The only good thing I can say about them is it was a decent distraction from the god awful black Bieber Leaf jerseys

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Benoit and McCabe play simple and physical game. Love how they battle for pucks. Leafs need such D to have a chance in playoffs.

Reactions: klmdg

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
That was a textbook road win. Solid defensive play, a goalie that was not overworked and made the saves when needed, and timely goals (the Jarnkrok goal was a thing of beauty).

I know full well this team can stoop to the level of their lesser opponents. But after handling a good L.A. team rather easily, there is absolutely no reason they should not leave the Western road swing with the full 6 points.

Reactions: Duffman955

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
you do realize that usually the difference between say a 3rd seed or a wild card team is pretty small usually, for example they could literally have the same points. like the Avalanche last year played Seattle after winning there division while Dallas played Minnesota. both Minnesota and Seattle had the same number of wins. was Seattle a significantly easier matchup? I don't think so.
I think there is a big difference in the east between Washington/Pittsburgh and Boston/Florida....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad