Salary Cap: Leafs Should Be A Cap Team Next Year

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The Toronto Maple Leafs are in a rather unique situation in the NHL at the moment. It seems as if we basically have infinite money as far as trying to maneuver in a salary cap world. The owners seem perfectly willing to throw a lot of money around if it will improve the team.

Now before everyone has a meltdown, I'm not suggesting we sign big ticket UFAs to multi-year deals. I'm also not suggesting we take on so many bad contracts that we're hitting the cap for the next few years. I think we need to have enough cap space by next season to sign Stamkos (or get some other franchise player). This year however, I think we should try to hit the cap from the start of the season by signing 1 year contracts, even if it means dramatically overpaying.

Our plan should be to do exactly what we did with Winnik and Santorelli, only on a much bigger scale. So whatever cap room we have, we need to spend it. If we dramatically overpay for someone, we can still trade them at the deadline and retain 50% of their salary. The other team only has to pay a small fraction of their salary anyways because the trade deadline is near the end of the season. So we want as many good players as we can get so we can deal them as basically free rentals at the deadline and get back some good picks and prospects.

For example, if we have $10 mil in cap space and 1 roster spot still available, why not throw that money at someone like Martin St. Louis? Come trade deadline, we retain 50% and trade him to a contender. We could easily pick up a first and prospect. The team that gets him basically gets to use him for the playoffs without having to pay much of his inflated salary.

The only reason we would have for not spending to the cap on 1 year players if if we want to accumulate cap space so that we can go shopping at the trade deadline. And since that's probably not happening, we might as well spend to the cap right from the beginning of the season. And if I understand how the Horton contract works correctly, we're allowed to spend over the cap by his salary amount, but his cap room doesn't accumulate throughout the year if we're under the cap.

I think the only justification for the Leafs not spending to the cap is if they're intentionally trying to lose games to get a better draft pick. I obviously think that's really stupid and we're clearly not going to do that. We'd do better by picking up multiple picks by spending to the cap. If we were trying to tank, we should still spend to the cap, but just go out and find the worst goalie imaginable.

Finally, let's just look at a realistic example. Let's say that there's a UFA out there this year who we think is pretty good. Other teams are offering him contracts like $3 mil for 3 years. This would be considered a fair value contract. The Leafs could just come in and offer him $6 mil for 1 year. From the players perspective, he gets paid double what he otherwise would have, and it's almost guaranteed that he gets traded to a playoff contender. He has the chance to showcase his skills in a playoff run on a strong team. Then he becomes a UFA again the next year and as long as he signs for more than $1.5 mil for 2 years, he's coming out ahead. For the Leafs, we might as well spend that $6 mil because otherwise it's just wasted cap space. The team that picks him up doesn't really care that his cap hit is $6 mil because the Leafs can retain half, so he's only a $3 mil player, and they only pay him for a fraction of the season, so the money isn't really an issue.

I guess I just see a lot of people making the claim that we wont be a cap team for years and that we've got all the cap space in the world to burn. Without Clarkson's contract we've got more room, and if we trade someone like Kessel, we'll have lots of room. But we should still put all that cap room to good use every year. No use in wasting it. It's still valuable to us even though we're not trying to make a run at the cup this year. We can basically turn all our cap space into 1 year contracts which we can then turn into picks and prospects. I'm assuming that guys like Dubas understand this, but I guess we'll find out soon enough. On the off chance that we're not planning on spending to the cap this year, someone should really explain all this to Shanny/Hunter/Dubas so that we don't miss out on all the good UFAs come July 1st. And if we go into the season way under the cap, we can't really fix the mistake at that point.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
tl;dr we have a bunch of cap space we could burn on 1 year UFA contracts and retain salary and flip them for picks n stuff.

cool story bro.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
100% agree with OP.

Worst case is we can't shift some of them at TD and their contracts expire and they leave.

Best case we pick up a couple of extra picks, maybe even a few 1st rounders.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
tl;dr we have a bunch of cap space we could burn on 1 year UFA contracts and retain salary and flip them for picks n stuff.

cool story bro.

100% agree with OP.

Worst case is we can't shift some of them at TD and their contracts expire and they leave.

Best case we pick up a couple of extra picks, maybe even a few 1st rounders.

Based on the cliffs. There's 2 issues I can see arising from this:

1.) We can only retain a maximum of 3 contracts at a single time, I think we're still on the hook for Gunnarson, so we have 2 left.

2.) What if we sign a bunch of veteran UFA players, and they take us to 9-11th overall. The overall cost of the assets we'll end up getting will not be worthwhile to the top draft positions we lost. Especially with the top 3 this year looking amazing. Auston Matthews may be better than Eichel, beat his numbers as a 16 year old.

As a side note, if we didn't have Santa or Winnik, I think we might have at least had a chance to finish third... and if that was the magic number... We screwed ourselves out of McDavid for a second.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Based on the cliffs. There's 2 issues I can see arising from this:

1.) We can only retain a maximum of 3 contracts at a single time, I think we're still on the hook for Gunnarson, so we have 2 left.

2.) What if we sign a bunch of veteran UFA players, and they take us to 9-11th overall. The overall cost of the assets we'll end up getting will not be worthwhile to the top draft positions we lost. Especially with the top 3 this year looking amazing. Auston Matthews may be better than Eichel, beat his numbers as a 16 year old.

As a side note, if we didn't have Santa or Winnik, I think we might have at least had a chance to finish third... and if that was the magic number... We screwed ourselves out of McDavid for a second.

On your first point: being able to retain on the two biggest contracts is still pretty good. Cap space isn't much of an issue at the deadline anyways, so you don't have to retain on everyone you flip.

On your second point: you're basically arguing that we should intentionally try and lose as many games as possible. If we really want to do that, just sign the worst goalie you can find for one year. Sign some back-up goalie from the Swedish Elite League and we'll lose plenty of games.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I think the best way to spend the cap is to take on a salary dump player with 1-2 years left on his deal, and get a draft pick along with that player.

Then retain 50% of that player's salary, and trade him closer to the deadline for more picks.

As Divine said, we can only do this with 3 players at a time, and the Gunnerson deal eats up 1 of the 3 (Nonis was a short-sighted idiot).

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I think the best way to spend the cap is to take on a salary dump player with 1-2 years left on his deal, and get a draft pick along with that player.

Then retain 50% of that player's salary, and trade him closer to the deadline for more picks.

As Divine said, we can only do this with 3 players at a time, and the Gunnerson deal eats up 1 of the 3 (Nonis was a short-sighted idiot).

Agreed. Also, I believe there's a limit on how much you can retain in regards to the cap. Something like 10 or 15% of the cap ceiling.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I know a lot of people love this idea but this isn't NHL16. If you're a guy on this team who plays his ass off and waiting for a decent payday only to see some random guy get signed for 3x your salary you'll probably be peeved and wonder where your payout is. Especially if they have you on a bridge contract. You still have to manage 40+ peoples contracts and tossing money at people you want to use purely as trade bait might not go well with your team and it probably won't go well with the guys picking up their lives to settle in Toronto.

Lust4LEAFS

London Knights Scout
Jan 28, 2011
London, ON
I completely agree with this logic! I posted this last year as well when I saw this trend with a few of the 1 year deals that were being signed in UFA. You can promise top line minutes and an extra 1-2 million on a contract. 1 poster argued that players are looking for structure in contracts and are human beings and can't be used as pawns, which I did agree with somewhat. But now looking at Jagr and reflecting more, I would certainly take an extra million or 2 for 1 year to showcase talent and have the chance to be sent to a contender to win the cup, look for structure the following year. There might be only a handful of players looking for this type of contract.

I think you can tell your current players that this is strictly a asset management contract, nothing more if they did get bent out of shape over the price we paid for the player.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yup. This should be our strategy for the next 3 years of FA. 1 year deals only, nothing else. Then flip to contenders for futures, retain if you must.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Can you post cliffs or something? Unless you're solving world hunger, poverty, or what to do with those ridiculous Pan Am HOV lanes, there's absolutely no reason that you need that much text.

Just put a mannequin in the back seat. Done.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
The OP has a good suggestion but it wont work with
how he wants it to.

At the deadline teams are looking to add players with low cap hits.
If we did give MSL 10M and retained 5M at the deadline the team
trading for him has to be able to absorb a cap hit of 2.5 to 3M.

Keep it simple

look at the end of free agency - identify a couple of players to
sign for 2M or less for one year. Make sure this player can contribute to a playoff or bubble team, then offer him up and then the team taking on the cap hit is only on the hook for 500K or less.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand

How many years does gunner have left? There is no way we should of had to retain on Gunner..... no way.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
As much as I agree that we should be signing a bunch of free agents to one year deals with the goal of trading them at the deadline, we need to be smart about who we sign and for how much.

First off, the goal for next year is to finish in a good draft position so we need to make sure that we sign free agents who look good enough to help a playoff bound team in the playoffs but not inadvertently make us a winning team in the process. The contracts that we gave Winnik and Santa last season are perfect examples.

Secondly we need to make sure that the contracts that the players we do sign are signed to are attractive to teams in the playoff hunt, many who will be up against the cap. Overpaying for free agents to come here does not help us in this. Even if the cash strapped playoff team only needs to pay a fraction of the contract, that fraction may be too much for them making that player less attractive. To make a move for an overpaid player the Leafs may have to take back salary or retain. We can only agree to retain salary on so many contracts in any given year.

Blaylock38

Bleeds Blue & White
Jul 7, 2010
Hamilton
On your first point: being able to retain on the two biggest contracts is still pretty good. Cap space isn't much of an issue at the deadline anyways, so you don't have to retain on everyone you flip.

On your second point: you're basically arguing that we should intentionally try and lose as many games as possible. If we really want to do that, just sign the worst goalie you can find for one year. Sign some back-up goalie from the Swedish Elite League and we'll lose plenty of games.

I agree with your notion in terms of gaining assets, I think this has worked out well for TML in the past couple of seasons, my concern is I would like to see the roster have spots open so the kids can compete and get some, I don;t see how we can move forward without starting to incorporate our youth into the line-up on a larger scale, I know we aren't going to rush guys but there seems to be afew guys that might be able to make the jump.

I do think the concept you are proposing is very beneficial to the team and from what Shanny has already said it seems like he is on that page, plus with recent buyouts: Richards and Hodgeson to me just scream change of scenary, fresh start, motivated to prove their former teams wrong

Pholus

May 23, 2014

Personally, I would first see what Minnesota would give up in the way of picks/prospects for taking on the contract of Niklas Backstrom. There is no way they are happy about paying ~$3.4M for a 3rd string goalie.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I know a lot of people love this idea but this isn't NHL16. If you're a guy on this team who plays his ass off and waiting for a decent payday only to see some random guy get signed for 3x your salary you'll probably be peeved and wonder where your payout is. Especially if they have you on a bridge contract. You still have to manage 40+ peoples contracts and tossing money at people you want to use purely as trade bait might not go well with your team and it probably won't go well with the guys picking up their lives to settle in Toronto.

This pretty much

I think what a great many posters fail to realize is that these are human beings and the choices you make to flip/move them has an impact on that players willingness to sign. It will also effect future signings desire to sign.

At the UFA point players are generally looking to settle into a long term lucrative contract so they can settle in with a team. No player is looking to do trial stuff and get moved around unless they are aging (Jagr/Iginla types) or middle 6 guys like Winnik looking to prove something.

I mean even if this was NHL16 pretty sure the algo for BeAGM doesnt like you flipping FA's :laugh:

YOYOTCROSTER*

Best bet is to bring up the Marlies. Babs will install a work ethic and accountability no one in Toronto has ever seen. The lines from Phaneuf of I don't know why we lost I just can't understand it will stop asap. Anyone talking like that in future will sit 1 game on the spot no matter who you are and then more from there until traded. You are going to hear we did not work hard enough or we just don't have the talent for next 3 seasons. Next year the key is to finish bottom 3. There can be no screw ups on this front. There will be no FAs signed. They are working to shed the core. This will be sole focus until camp.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I would save as much cap space as possible in case a big name young player shook loose and was available.

Cap space is a valuable asset and with many teams near the cap ceiling it would be wise to be able to sell cap space for draft picks/prospects by taking on players as teams make moves.

Finding a few bargain UFA that you believe you can flip for picks at the trade deadline also not a bad move.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
It's creative, but I don't see it happening. Just can’t imagine a sought-after UFA taking a one-year deal to go to a rebuilding team just to be a pawn in their efforts to flip him elsewhere for picks.

The only precedent that comes to mind of a prized UFA taking a big-money, one-year deal is Hossa a few years ago, and that was specifically because he wanted to go to a Cup contender.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I would save as much cap space as possible in case a big name young player shook loose and was available.

Cap space is a valuable asset and with many teams near the cap ceiling it would be wise to be able to sell cap space for draft picks/prospects by taking on players as teams make moves.

Finding a few bargain UFA that you believe you can flip for picks at the trade deadline also not a bad move.

As in, RFA's? No thanks. No offer sheets please. We need to keep picks, not give them away.

No more big names for at least 3 years. It's completely counterintuitive to what we're trying to do.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
I have no desire to be good or even mediocre next year.
We can finish in the bottom 8 and have a decent chance to get a top 3 pick.
I think after next year, if we draft well, we will have enough talent to start building a competitive team.
UFAs play no part in this, aside from filling out the roster.
Try hards filling our roster always perform better than they are supposed to, not that that is bad, its what they should do, it is just negative for us at the end of the day.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We should use it to take on cap dumps for assets like we did for some other assets.

I think we shouldn't be a cap team you know why?

Because giving out absurd contracts to 1 year UFA is going to bite us in the ass when our young core are up for their raises. We should be like other teams like the Islanders and hover around the floor if possible and fight every contract. Then we can get our core signed reasonable and have 12M in cap space to fill holes with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad