Pre-Game Talk: Leafs @ Sens October 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Am i the only one who thinks it is stupid to look at a goaltenders stats against a certain team?

A goalies stats against a certain team doen't mean jack ****. Correlation does not equal causation.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It doesn't have to. If putting a goaltender into a given spot is correlated with winning then you put that goaltender into that spot.
Yeah, but small sample sizes apply. Not to mention you're not even necessarily facing the same players each time.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It seems that ever since the league and its fans got into advanced stats, "small sample size" is the phrase of the day.

12 starts is a fine sample size for a goalie facing a specific team. What does it need to be before being enough? 30? 50? Not everyone has the amount of games under their belts that Brodeur does.

Andy hasn't played well in the past vs the leafs. He has lost twice as many games as he has won. As far as I'm concerned, that's enough of a sample to tell me that he doesn't play his best when facing TO.

.906 is Pavalec bad, guys.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't even mind Andy starting. But to argue this correlation vs causation and small sample size garbage makes it seem like you guys are trying too hard to justify your opinions.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It seems that ever since the league and its fans got into advanced stats, "small sample size" is the phrase of the day.

12 starts is a fine sample size for a goalie facing a specific team. What does it need to be before being enough? 30? 50? Not everyone has the amount of games under their belts that Brodeur does.

Andy hasn't played well in the past vs the leafs. He has lost twice as many games as he has won. As far as I'm concerned, that's enough of a sample to tell me that he doesn't play his best when facing TO.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't even mind Andy starting. But to argue this correlation vs causation and small sample size garbage makes it seem like you guys are trying too hard to justify your opinions.

You know what these stats miss? Context.

How was the team in front of Andy playing? How many penalties did the Sens take during these games? Did the Sens have a crappy PK?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Yeah, but small sample sizes apply. Not to mention you're not even necessarily facing the same players each time.

Yup, that's all true. It is not a statistical thing for me. In every sport I played there were teams, or players (in the case of individual sports), that I just knew I could beat and those that had my number. I think if you have confidence and assume you will win then you just play better. If you know you struggle against certain teams it gets into your head.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
EEvwypz.gif

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

I don't even care who starts; I think both are fine. So I'm not bringing up small sample size to justify my opinion. But I definitely believe that the whole "goalie X plays better/worse against team Y" is bogus. Not only 12 starts *IS* a small sample size, especially when SV% is such an unstable stat, but again it's not even like he faced the same players each time. You think there's something about the colour of the jersey that bothers him?

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Yup, that's all true. It is not a statistical thing for me. In every sport I played there were teams, or players (in the case of individual sports), that I just knew I could beat and those that had my number. I think if you have confidence and assume you will win then you just play better. If you know you struggle against certain teams it gets into your head.

This is how I feel though (maybe it didn't come through great in my post). I'm not going to go searching through game summaries but I feel like Andy has let in a lot of softies early against the leafs. Bad defense ya, and sure it can happen (and has happened) against any team, but from memory, Andy is weak vs TO.

Again, I'm not adamently opposed to him starting. Beat his inner demons and all that. I'd just prefer Lehner get his shot at the battle of Ontario now.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
This is how I feel though (maybe it didn't come through great in my post). I'm not going to go searching through game summaries but I feel like Andy has let in a lot of softies early against the leafs. Bad defense ya, and sure it can happen (and has happened) against any team, but from memory, Andy is weak vs TO.

Again, I'm not adamently opposed to him starting. Beat his inner demons and all that. I'd just prefer Lehner get his shot at the battle of Ontario now.

Agreed. I think Andy is the better goalie overall right now, but I still think Lehner should get the start against TO. This is actually a pretty good opportunity to put up a W, with the Leafs playing the second game of a back to back and with them having to take a short flight in between. Speaking of which, just to add to the discussion above, Kessel was stopped by airport security. They found 150 pounds of crack in the back of his pants.

I am thinking the Sens will have a slow start due to the layoff between games. The Leafs will tire out in the third, and the Sens will come from behind again to win.

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Question:

A group of 12 of us are going to the Sens-Leafs game tomorrow - we will be sitting in Sector 319. 4/12 are Leafs fans, and will be wearing jerseys and ****.

Will the 4/12 be moved, or will all 12 of us be moved? How does this work?

I bought the tickets a couple weeks ago, before this policy was put in place.

Cheers folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad