Leafs & Senators Game 6, 2002. The hit from behind on Tie Domi

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
During Game 6 of the 2002 Eastern Conference Semi-Final series between the Leafs and Senators in the 1st period with the Leafs losing 2-0 and facing elimination Tie Domi was hit from behind into the boards by Ricard Persson who received a 5:00 major for boarding and a game misconduct. You can also say it changed the momentum since the Leafs scored twice on that power play tying the game 2-2, eventually winning 4-3 and went onto win Game 7. Anyway I'm wondering was part of the reason for the 5:00 major because of the non call on Daniel Alfredsson in Game 5 when he hit Darcy Tucker from behind and him scoring only seconds after that? I only ask because we know Tie Domi had a history of being suspended for illegal hits, so was this the refs realizing they made a mistake and owed one to the Leafs? I couldn't find a video of just the hit in question, so you need to go up to the 12:41 mark of the video to see when the hit first happens.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
From Domi's autobiography:

“You guys were beating us 2-0. We had nothing going on at all. You know how sharp the boards are, right? I kind of saw him (Ottawa defenceman Ricard Persson) coming. He didn’t hit me that hard but when he did hit me I purposely hit my head (on the boards) just above my eyebrow.

“I knew as soon as I saw the blood I had done what I wanted to do. Everybody knew on our side that I did it on purpose.”

Tie Domi's memoir details bloody story of the Battle of Ontario

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I will admit I have not read Domi's book before and never knew about that.

However the question is at the moment in time of the hit do yo think the refs realized how they made the mistake of not calling the penalty on Alfredsson in Game 5 and after they saw Domi get hit and was bleeding, they had to call the major penalty against Persson and the Senators.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

However the question is at the moment in time of the hit do yo think the refs realized how they made the mistake of not calling the penalty on Alfredsson in Game 5 and after they saw Domi get hit and was bleeding, they had to call the major penalty against Persson and the Senators.

Once Domi was bleeding visibly and profusely from the head, they had to call it regardless of what happened in Game 5.

Are you even certain that it was the same pair of referees?

Refs don't give out make-up calls for other reffing pairs, and I doubt a single pair even carries that kind of thing over from game to game.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Once Domi was bleeding visibly and profusely from the head, they had to call it regardless of what happened in Game 5.

Are you even certain that it was the same pair of referees?

Refs don't give out make-up calls for other reffing pairs, and I doubt a single pair even carries that kind of thing over from game to game.
I can't remember if it was the same refs from Game 5 and Game 6. However if it was not I'm sure the refs for Game 6 saw what happened in the previous game when Alfredsson was not given a penalty. Also maybe they were told before if there is any questionable hit on a Leafs player it needs to be called.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I can't remember if it was the same refs from Game 5 and Game 6. However if it was not I'm sure the refs for Game 6 saw what happened in the previous game when Alfredsson was not given a penalty. Also maybe they were told before if there is any questionable hit on a Leafs player it needs to be called.

I think you're reaching.

As I posted above, it was a different set of referees anyway.

Reactions: Tarantula

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
During Game 6 of the 2002 Eastern Conference Semi-Final series between the Leafs and Senators in the 1st period with the Leafs losing 2-0 and facing elimination Tie Domi was hit from behind into the boards by Ricard Persson who received a 5:00 major for boarding and a game misconduct. You can also say it changed the momentum since the Leafs scored twice on that power play tying the game 2-2, eventually winning 4-3 and went onto win Game 7. Anyway I'm wondering was part of the reason for the 5:00 major because of the non call on Daniel Alfredsson in Game 5 when he hit Darcy Tucker from behind and him scoring only seconds after that? I only ask because we know Tie Domi had a history of being suspended for illegal hits, so was this the refs realizing they made a mistake and owed one to the Leafs? I couldn't find a video of just the hit in question, so you need to go up to the 12:41 mark of the video to see when the hit first happens.

Domi, who never played with any honor at all, took a dive, managed to get some blood flow, and the call was made. It had zero to do with the Darcy Tucker incident.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think you're reaching.

As I posted above, it was a different set of referees anyway.
I didn't see your replay saying who the refs were in Games 5 & 6 until after my previous reply was posted. I was also speculating on what might have happened because of the non penalty against Alfredsson.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Why do you think the Tucker hit had anything to do with it? He was hit from behind and bleeding profusely, of course they made the call.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I was also speculating on what might have happened because of the non penalty against Alfredsson.

The Alfredsson call was far more marginal than this one.

I don't think the referees were losing any sleep about it.

Missed calls or borderline calls cost teams games in the playoffs all the time.

Most of them never become legendary as they seem to in certain markets.

Reactions: Erik Alfredsson

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Why do you think the Tucker hit had anything to do with it? He was hit from behind and bleeding profusely, of course they made the call.
Because the refs in Game 5 clearly missed or choose not to call the penalty on Alfredsson when he hit Tucker from behind and some speculated maybe it was due to Tucker's reputation. Since Domi also had a reputation for illegal hits and given the missed call in the previous game, I wondered if that was a factor when Domi was hit and nothing more.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Because the refs in Game 5 clearly missed or choose not to call the penalty on Alfredsson when he hit Tucker from behind and some speculated maybe it was due to Tucker's reputation. Since Domi also had a reputation for illegal hits and given the missed call in the previous game, I wondered if that was a factor when Domi was hit and nothing more.

Domi was on the ice bleeding ... did you really think there was a chance it wouldn't be called? Also referees don't work that way. There's no officiating group that is going to try and 'even it up' for a call that was missed by a previous group.

As for Tucker, he was a horrible playoff performer who couldn't in any way, shape or form contain his emotions and was prone to ridiculous dives and embellishments as well as whining and complaining and screaming and losing his mind on the ice when things didn't go his way. It's no surprise at all that a player who endlessly tried to embarrass the officials with his diving and fakery would have calls not go his way.

Ironically, before the NHL, in Junior, he was an excellent post-season performer, but he was a joke at the NHL level in playoff games.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Domi was on the ice bleeding ... did you really think there was a chance it wouldn't be called? Also referees don't work that way. There's no officiating group that is going to try and 'even it up' for a call that was missed by a previous group.

As for Tucker, he was a horrible playoff performer who couldn't in any way, shape or form contain his emotions and was prone to ridiculous dives and embellishments as well as whining and complaining and screaming and losing his mind on the ice when things didn't go his way. It's no surprise at all that a player who endlessly tried to embarrass the officials with his diving and fakery would have calls not go his way.

Ironically, before the NHL, in Junior, he was an excellent post-season performer, but he was a joke at the NHL level in playoff games.
How many times during a game has a player got a high stick and was bleeding however the refs missed the call. Using that logic just because Domi was bleeding what if Dave Jackson or Bill McCreary thought Domi's got a reputation maybe we should not give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean you said yourself Tucker was also a "ridiculous dives and embellishments as well as whining and complaining and screaming and losing his mind on the ice when things didn't go his way." Never mind the fact that Tucker missed Game 6 and 7, along with Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final against Carolina that same year, so that shows he was legit hurt and not faking it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
How many times during a game has a player got a high stick and was bleeding however the refs missed the call. Using that logic just because Domi was bleeding what if Dave Jackson or Bill McCreary thought Domi's got a reputation maybe we should not give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean you said yourself Tucker was also a "ridiculous dives and embellishments as well as whining and complaining and screaming and losing his mind on the ice when things didn't go his way." Never mind the fact that Tucker missed Game 6 and 7, along with Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final against Carolina that same year, so that shows he was legit hurt and not faking it.

I didn't say Tucker was faking it. I said he was notorious for doing that and for trying to embarrass officials so it doesn't surprise me a call didn't go his way in this specific instance.

But a player getting hit into the boards and coming up covered in blood not being called? I've never seen that before unless it happened where the refs couldn't see. That's clearly not the case with this Domi hit.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
How many times during a game has a player got a high stick and was bleeding however the refs missed the call.

Not as often as when they aren't bleeding all over the place.

LeafsNation75 said:
Never mind the fact that Tucker missed Game 6 and 7, along with Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final against Carolina that same year, so that shows he was legit hurt and not faking it.

Tucker was injured after he was checked into the boards from behind by the Senators' Daniel Alfredsson Friday night and the initial diagnosis was that he was out for the season.

"I wouldn't say I'm done for the playoffs," a hopeful Tucker, his left arm in a sling, told Hockey Night in Canada.

"I have a broken bone in my shoulder blade and a dislocated shoulder, but I'd never say never."

Tucker did concede, however, that the Leafs would have to at least go deep into the next round if he was to return.

He did end up making a "miraculous" recovery.

Tucker out, no suspension for Alfredsson | CBC Sports

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I didn't say Tucker was faking it. I said he was notorious for doing that and for trying to embarrass officials so it doesn't surprise me a call didn't go his way in this specific instance.

But a player getting hit into the boards and coming up covered in blood not being called? I've never seen that before unless it happened where the refs couldn't see. That's clearly not the case with this Domi hit.
I also said after Tucker was hit from behind he missed the next 3 Leafs playoffs games, so that's one time where he was not faking an injury or trying to embarrass the refs. Unlike Domi he was not bleeding but was still legit hurt.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think a big factor with that hit was that Alfredsson made initial contact with Tucker about ten feet away from the boards. While he did hit him from behind, I am not at all surprised that there was no penalty called and I have always wondered, given his history, if Tucker wasn't embellishing that hit and actually ended up hurting himself. Considering how far away he was from the boards, it's surprising that he managed to A) not be able to stop and B) hit the boards with enough force to injure himself.

Alfie.png

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think a big factor with that hit was that Alfredsson made initial contact with Tucker about ten feet away from the boards. While he did hit him from behind, I am not at all surprised that there was no penalty called and I have always wondered, given his history, if Tucker wasn't embellishing that hit and actually ended up hurting himself. Considering how far away he was from the boards, it's surprising that he managed to A) not be able to stop and B) hit the boards with enough force to injure himself.

View attachment 138983
I highly doubt Tucker was trying to injure himself or embellishing it and you watch the hit on video it looks a lot worse than it is compared to that picture.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I highly doubt Tucker was trying to injure himself or embellishing it and you watch the hit on video it looks a lot worse than it is compared to that picture.

I am not suggesting he was trying to injure himself. That's ridiculous. I'm suggesting he was trying to make the hit look worse than it was (you know, cause it was ten feet away from the boards and a penalty was probably a 50/50 proposition) so he made no effort to stop, slow down or brace himself for impact.

It really is quite puzzling why he makes no attempt to stop or break his impact. It's odd, and with his history, it certainly begs the question as to why he wouldn't.

It's no surprise that Elliott Freideman says the same thing, that many people at the ACC were wondering about the play because of his history of doing that kind of thing. I have always been at least a little suspicious that he was trying to milk that hit and ended up accidentally hurting himself.

It only makes it more dubious that the injury he claims to have suffered on the play clearly wasn't what he actually sustained because he wouldn't have been playing a few games later had it been true what he claimed.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I am not suggesting he was trying to injure himself. That's ridiculous. I'm suggesting he was trying to make the hit look worse than it was (you know, cause it was ten feet away from the boards and a penalty was probably a 50/50 proposition) so he made no effort to stop, slow down or brace himself for impact.
Tucker was still hit from behind on the numbers and according to the rule book it's still a boarding penalty and Alfredsson should have been given at least a 2:00 penalty. The fact he scored the game winning goal only seconds after is what Leafs fans were also pissed about, so it didn't make the non call any better.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Tucker was still hit from behind on the numbers and according to the rule book it's still a boarding penalty and Alfredsson should have been given at least a 2:00 penalty. The fact he scored the game winning goal only seconds after is what Leafs fans were also pissed about, so it didn't make the non call any better.

I was at the game, I remember it well. The chants from the crowd, the anger in the air. It was a helluva game.

Reactions: seventieslord

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

This game is burned into my memory more than almost any I've ever seen. it is, in some ways, emblematic of the differences between the Leafs and the Sens of this era.

I knew right away Domi sacrificed his face to draw blood and turn that game around. I always have maintained he did, and this was the first time I've ever seen him outright admit it.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad