Leafs & Senators Game 6, 2002. The hit from behind on Tie Domi

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I was at the game, I remember it well. The chants from the crowd, the anger in the air. It was a helluva game.

The Leafs were decimated by injuries, on the ropes, clearly outclassed but somehow gutted out a win by battling back to tie the game 1-0 and 2-1. I really thought this was where they'd finally "get" us. After we tied it, I believed again. Then the Alfredsson hit and goal. It was just a game 5, but I can't remember feeling more deflated.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs were decimated by injuries, on the ropes, clearly outclassed but somehow gutted out a win by battling back to tie the game 1-0 and 2-1. I really thought this was where they'd finally "get" us. After we tied it, I believed again. Then the Alfredsson hit and goal. It was just a game 5, but I can't remember feeling more deflated.
Thankfully karma was not on the Senators since they ended up losing the series. Had Ottawa won Game 6 in my mind Leafs fans could claim there needed to be an asterisk because of Alfredsson's hit.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Thankfully karma was not on the Senators since they ended up losing the series. Had Ottawa won Game 6 in my mind Leafs fans could claim there needed to be an asterisk because of Alfredsson's hit.

To go along with the Gilmour-Gretzky asterisk?

I don't get why so much is made of these plays.

For one, it didn't decide the series.

Secondly, Joseph could have made the save. Toronto could have scored with the net empty.

Hossa was dragged down numerous times in the closing stages of Game 7 of the ECFs against the Devils without a call in 2003, only to have Friesen score with 2 minutes left.

You don't hear about it, because we've moved on.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I knew right away Domi sacrificed his face to draw blood and turn that game around. I always have maintained he did, and this was the first time I've ever seen him outright admit it.

I took a lot of crap for suggesting as much.

In any event, Ottawa could have killed off the penalty but they didn't.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
To go along with the Gilmour-Gretzky asterisk?

I don't get why so much is made of these plays.

For one, it didn't decide the series.

Secondly, Joseph could have made the save. Toronto could have scored with the net empty.

Hossa was dragged down numerous times in the closing stages of Game 7 of the ECFs against the Devils without a call in 2003, only to have Friesen score with 2 minutes left.

You don't hear about it, because we've moved on.
While the Gretzky high stick was also bad that forced a Game 7.

When Alfredsson hit Tucker and scored the winning goal seconds later, it meant the Leafs were down 3-2 going into Game 6. If they lost that game it would have been talked about a lot more that it was tainted victory for the Senators.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
While the Gretzky high stick was also bad that forced a Game 7.

When Alfredsson hit Tucker and scored the winning goal seconds later, it meant the Leafs were down 3-2 going into Game 6. If they lost that game it would have been talked about a lot more that it was tainted victory for the Senators.

How is that different?

In both cases, the Leafs still had a chance to win the series.

As I said, the depths to the mythology around these plays is astounding.

You don't hear me complaining about Domi manufacturing an injury and what might have been.

It's playoff hockey.

Shit happens.

Ottawa still had another shot at it and they blew that one too.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How is that different?

In both cases, the Leafs still had a chance to win the series.

As I said, the depths to the mythology around these plays is astounding.

You don't hear me complaining about Domi manufacturing an injury and what might have been.

It's playoff hockey.

**** happens.

Ottawa still had another shot at it and they blew that one too.
The difference is at one point in the 1st period of Game 6 the Leafs were losing 2-0 and could have easily packed it in and it all started with the non call on Alfredsson in Game 5 and him scoring seconds later.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The difference is at one point in the 1st period of Game 6 the Leafs were losing 2-0 and could have easily packed it in and it all started with the non call on Alfredsson in Game 5 and him scoring seconds later.

Yeah, the difference is they won this series and lost the other one.

Happens all the time in the playoffs.

Domi and Co. didn't pack it in, in 2002, while Gilmour and Co. did in 1993.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, the difference is they won this series and lost the other one.

Happens all the time in the playoffs.

Domi and Co. didn't pack it in, in 2002, while Gilmour and Co. did in 1993.
To be fair in 1993 they got bad luck with Gretzky scoring that hat trick in Game 7 and the 3rd goal going in off the skate of Dave Ellett when he's standing in front of the net and didn't see Gretzky do that. I mean they lost 5-4 which is not packing it in, compared to the Senators 3-0 Game 7 loss in 2002.

Reactions: seventieslord

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be fair in 1993 they got bad luck with Gretzky scoring that hat trick in Game 7 and the 3rd goal going in off the skate of Dave Ellett when he's standing in front of the net and didn't see Gretzky do that.

Gretzky scoring from behind the net is never luck.

"...attempts to centre the puck to nobody..."

Really? It's like he never watched the Great One play before.

Reactions: seventieslord

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Gretzky scoring from behind the net is never luck.

"...attempts to centre the puck to nobody..."

Really? It's like he never watched the Great One play before.

That is hilarious. I never heard the play by play on that goal before (I was actually at this game as well) but man is Harry Neale (or anyone calling this a "lucky goal") clueless. Gretzky wasn't attempting to center the puck, he was attempting to do exactly what he did: score a goal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No, it didn't.

The Leafs failure to score a goal after the high stick and then subsequently allowing the Kings to score forced a Game 7.
Your right the Leafs did fail to score in Game 6 during the overtime. However you left out that after the non call on Gretzky the Leafs were still on the penalty kill and that also lead to them losing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Refs don't give out make-up calls for other reffing pairs, and I doubt a single pair even carries that kind of thing over from game to game.
The more I think about this comment I do wonder what about the theory how some refs will make even up calls later on in a game? So when one team gets the first 3 penalties of a game chances are the other team will get the next 3 penalties called against them. I know all that would happen in the same game and not the next game, still doesn't that show the refs do have that type of thinking?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad