Proposal: Leafs Sabres RD for C

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Half the Sabres forwards seem to be heading to UFA this summer, so they're definitely filling a need here, but I could see Toronto having to include a pick to make it happen

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If the Leafs want Montour it probably starts with Kapanen not a nothing burger like Kerfoot.

Buffalo should want more than Kerfoot for Montour. Toronto should not want Montour at all. There are teams in the league who could probably benefit from having a player like Montour, but Toronto should not be one of them. In the case of Miller I can't imagine any team would want a third pairing D with that cap hit.

Reactions: kb and Sundinisagod

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Miller struggled this year in his first season in Buffalo, but he was playing more than 19 minutes per game the last 2 seasons for Vegas...

Miller was in the 26th percentile for QoC this year. He was in the 32nd percentile the year before along with being in the 95th percentile for OZ faceoffs. That has been the story of his career. He can't handle anything except sheltered deployment. The kind of deployment that teams should be giving to their young, inexperienced D, not a soon to be 28-year-old with an AAV of almost 4M.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Buffalo should want more than Kerfoot for Montour. Toronto should not want Montour at all. There are teams in the league who could probably benefit from having a player like Montour, but Toronto should not be one of them. In the case of Miller I can't imagine any team would want a third pairing D with that cap hit.
Agreed. I don't see Montour being a great fit for Toronto. As for Miller, I don't think he's anything special. Vegas was smart enough to shelter the hell out of him which in turn made his analytics look very good. Botterfail wasn't smart enough to see through that and overpaid for him. However there were moments where he looked serviceable enough here, but given his contract and relatively poor season I too think his value isn't very high at this point. The only thing in his favor is that he's a RHD and those tend to hold a bit more value in the league. Would I trade him for Kerfoot? Maybe, but I don't think all that much of him as a player either. I'd really hope the Sabres are aiming higher than that if they want to fix this gaping hole they have up the middle.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Miller was in the 26th percentile for QoC this year. He was in the 32nd percentile the year before along with being in the 95th percentile for OZ faceoffs. That has been the story of his career. He can't handle anything except sheltered deployment. The kind of deployment that teams should be giving to their young, inexperienced D, not a soon to be 28-year-old with an AAV of almost 4M.

What do Kerfoot's advance stats look like?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Agreed. I don't see Montour being a great fit for Toronto. As for Miller, I don't think he's anything special. Vegas was smart enough to shelter the hell out of him which in turn made his analytics look very good. Botterfail wasn't smart enough to see through that and overpaid for him. However there were moments where he looked serviceable enough here, but given his contract and relatively poor season I too think his value isn't very high at this point. The only thing in his favor is that he's a RHD and those tend to hold a bit more value in the league. Would I trade him for Kerfoot? Maybe, but I don't think all that much of him as a player either. I'd really hope the Sabres are aiming higher than that if they want to fix this gaping hole they have up the middle.

I basically agree with all that.

I can't read Dubas' mind, so he could surprise me and get a D like Montour or Miller (although there are no indications that he was in on either when Buffalo traded for both). But, in my opinion the focus is to get a real partner for Rielly. Rielly was in the 90th percential for TOI against elite opposition this season. So if they are not getting someone who has experience going up against close to that kind of competition - and there are few options among those D who both play on the right side and would possibly be available - then the team is just as well off trying Dermott on that pairing. Other than the hole they have in terms of a partner for Rielly they really should just be going with what they already have.

Kerfoot would be an iffy 2nd line C. But I think that he took too much grief this season for being moved to the wing part way through the season - which probably had as much to do with the team needing to get Tavares' line producing than his own deficiencies as a 3C. I don't think that he is worth a lot and he is probably worth more to the Leafs' as a 3C than he would be for most other teams.

I didn't like the Miller trade when it was made, and it hasn't grown on me. I think that he can do well enough on a team like Vegas or Boston because they have players to take the big roles, but even still his contract is way too much for what he brings. On a team like Toronto if they get a D with a significant cap hit it needs to be someone who can play against top QoC. Buffalo has a lot more cap space then Toronto, but still sheltering Miller means that you have give an even larger percentage of that time against the top competition to players like Risto which I don't think anyone wants.

Montour would probably fit well with a team that needs a puck moving D on their second pairing. The Rielly-Barrie experiment I hope has put an end to the idea of having such a player with Rielly.

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
What do Kerfoot's advance stats look like?

Kerfoot was in the 60th percentile for QoC and I think the 59th percentile for OZ starts. Everyone has a pretty good idea of what Kerfoot is. I am perfectly happy with him being Toronto's 3C next year. Lots of people think that Colin Miller can play a role that he absolutely can't play.

Reactions: kb and Sundinisagod

MMMOOOWWW

Dec 1, 2017
BC
I basically agree with all that.

I can't read Dubas' mind, so he could surprise me and get a D like Montour or Miller (although there are no indications that he was in on either when Buffalo traded for both). But, in my opinion the focus is to get a real partner for Rielly. Rielly was in the 90th percential for TOI against elite opposition this season. So if they are not getting someone who has experience going up against close to that kind of competition - and there are few options among those D who both play on the right side and would possibly be available - then the team is just as well off trying Dermott on that pairing. Other than the hole they have in terms of a partner for Barrie they really should just be going with what they already have.

Kerfoot would be an iffy 2nd line C. But I think that he took too much grief this season for being moved to the wing part way through the season - which probably had as much to do with the team needing to get Tavares' line producing than his own deficiencies as a 3C. I don't think that he is worth a lot and he is probably worth more to the Leafs' as a 3C than he would be for most other teams.

I didn't like the Miller trade when it was made, and it hasn't grown on me. I think that he can do well enough on a team like Vegas or Boston because they have players to take the big roles, but even still his contract is way too much for what he brings. On a team like Toronto if they get a D with a significant cap hit it needs to be someone who can play against top QoC. Buffalo has a lot more cap space then Toronto, but still sheltering Miller means that you have give an even larger percentage of that time against the top competition to players like Risto which I don't think anyone wants.

Montour would probably fit well with a team that needs a puck moving D on their second pairing. The Rielly-Barrie experiment I hope has put an end to the idea of having such a player with Rielly.
time on there hads

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn’t do it. We need a legit D that plays good defence. No more hopes and prayers like Ceci or Barrie. We are in our prime (laugh or say whatever but we are) and we need a legit defenceman. If we bring miller it’ll just be fitting another rectangle through a circular hole. We’ve tried bandages and they don’t work. Regardless of needing a RHD we have better options and Miller would just be another D on the roster pushing Sandin and Lil further from a full time spot.

He’s got a great shot but he’s not a great D man. If we go with another bandaid however which we probably will, id rather a guy like Gudas, but after the Lehtonen signing we already have a bit of logjam of meh players. We have too many quantity to the point they can’t all play. We need quality

this is coming from someone who would give Kerfoot away just to have his 3.5 cap back. He’s otherwise useless as tits on a nun to the leafs. He’s got some skill I guess. Another team could find valueb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad