Leafs retire numbers of all 16 previously honoured players plus Dave Keon's #14

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Gilmour's number got retired? Lol he played six seasons there and all he had to show for it was one Selke.

Wendel Clark's number being retired is also absolutely hilarious as well.

Both players also led their team to 3 conference finals, but retiring their numbers maybe going too far, but I think there are many more from other teams that have retired numbers with the same credentials.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Both players also led their team to 3 conference finals

No, they didn't.

And even if they had, who cares? Why even bring that up? Do you think that is somehow a legacy of success? Do you think that is even in the realm of things that a player would have his sweater retired for?

but I think there are many more from other teams that have retired numbers with the same credentials.

Like who?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
People can't just let the Leafs have this? They need to **** all over it and **** all over their history?

Most seem cool with it. It's just Habs fans. You'd think they'd be more secure given their history, but I guess they have their own concerns with retiring numbers, as they haven't had a scoring forward worth retiring since the 70's, and that doesn't look to change anytime soon.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I agree that under ordinary circumstances Clark would never get his number retired, as I do believe he was probably the most overrated Leaf of all time. However, in isolation towards the Leaf fanbase, he was a fan favourite, is a fan favourite, and will forever continue to be a fan favourite. He embodied what a lot of fans want in a Maple Leaf -- as long as you play hard, it doesn't matter if you're not overly skilled. I personally don't adhere to that thought process, but I get it.

Now, were the Leafs backed in a corner because his number was already honoured and it'd look silly to retire many other honoured numbers and omit a select few? Probably. But would it ever feel right to see another person ever wearing #17 (and #13 and #93 in recent memory for that matter)? Definitely not.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Most seem cool with it. It's just Habs fans. You'd think they'd be more secure given their history, but I guess they have their own concerns with retiring numbers, as they haven't had a scoring forward worth retiring since the 70's, and that doesn't look to change anytime soon.

Yeah I didn't mean to lose my cool but I came in here and read through it and there was far too much critiscm and people downplaying the Leafs greats.

We get it you like another team, I would never **** on them for you. Some of these guys were our hero's growing up. We don't need to hear how your franchise has sooooo much better players.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Yeah I didn't mean to lose my cool but I came in here and read through it and there was far too much critiscm and people downplaying the Leafs greats.

We get it you like another team, I would never **** on them for you. Some of these guys were our hero's growing up. We don't need to hear how your franchise has sooooo much better players.

I don't even see it that way. Our overall collection of greats takes a backseat to no one. The main arguments previously put forth are no top end all time greats, and singling out Clark and Domi. That's a poor argument to bash an entire top 100 list. It's not our fault if they can't see the forest for the trees. ;)

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I agree that under ordinary circumstances Clark would never get his number retired, as I do believe he was probably the most overrated Leaf of all time. However, in isolation towards the Leaf fanbase, he was a fan favourite, is a fan favourite, and will forever continue to be a fan favourite. He embodied what a lot of fans want in a Maple Leaf -- as long as you play hard, it doesn't matter if you're not overly skilled. I personally don't adhere to that thought process, but I get it.

By this logic the Canadiens should be retiring Saku Koivu and Andrei Markov.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Now, were the Leafs backed in a corner because his number was already honoured and it'd look silly to retire many other honoured numbers and omit a select few? Probably. But would it ever feel right to see another person ever wearing #17 (and #13 and #93 in recent memory for that matter)? Definitely not.

It's more than being just a fan favourite. He led the Leafs out of the dark ages of the 80's after the rule of Ballard. I wasn't even around back then, but even I can comprehend just how toxic ownership and management was back then. The 2005-2015 Leafs were child's play compared to that. Ballard dies and Clark captains the team to respectability again. Not unlike the Blue Jays of 2015.

Clark was in the right place at the right time. He isn't the same Leaf icon if he plays the exact same today. But good for him for taking advantage of life's opportunities. He means more to the Leafs than most would ever care to understand.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sundin is their best all time player and he's not even attending the ceremony.. bit embarrassing.

I don't think that was embarrassing, what was is the banners that didn't unfurl properly. I wonder if they tested them before?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I don't think that was embarrassing, what was is the banners that didn't unfurl properly. I wonder if they tested them before?

That was embarrassing and annoying. Frank Mahovlich looked like he was going to cry.

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a bunch of young interns who carelessly furled up the banner in a hurry shortly before the ceremony.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I've always thought Koivu deserved more recognition to his contributions. All-round pro.

Yeah he was great, an all-star, a captain, and part of some very memorable moments, but doesn't mean his # should be retired. That needs to be kept to a very high standard.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Yeah he was great, an all-star, a captain, and part of some very memorable moments, but doesn't mean his # should be retired. That needs to be kept to a very high standard.

He's also not a hall of fame player.

I know your posting history, so I know where the angle your spewing is coming from.

Of the players the Leafs that were honoured, all but 2 of them were hall of fame players, so it's not like they're scrubs.

One player that was honoured passed away while he played for the team.

Clark was the only other player then that wasn't in the Hall of Fame, so if there was an argument to have one player not up there, it would be for him.

But many teams have retired jersey's of players that aren't hall of famers, they just meant a lot to the fanbase.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Many Leaf fans will actually agree with you that Gilmour and Clark aren't typically players whose number you'd retire. Honour, sure. But not retire. Fact is they were already honored, so they were grandfathered in to be retired. I'd argue it would actually be classless to remove them from the group of honored numbers once you convert them to retired numbers. You couldn't retire 15 honored players' numbers, but not retire the other honored 2. Standards will be higher in the future.

As for Legends Row, it's not completed. You didn't even see Keon, Horton and Broda at the World Cup, since they were unveiled a couple days ago. By the time it's done with the addition of Conacher, Mahovlich and Kelly, it'll most likely have 10 cup champions from among a total of 13 statues. Sittler, Salming and Sundin the only non-winners. I dunno about you, but I'll take them on my list of top 13 anyday.

You're right. I cant argue with that much.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
The best ceremony they've done. You can see it meant so much to the players. I thought Johnny Bower was going to cry. I'm sure this was Shannahans idea. He is the best thing to happen to the Leafs. Since he arrived they have been doing everything right.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Of all the players who had their numbers retired, only 5 never won a cup- Sundin, Salming, Sittler, Clark and Gilmour.

Of those 5, only one isn't in the Hall of Fame (Clark).

Awful. Utterly embarrassing.

Sundin shouldn't have been in the hall of fame anyway, that was Toronto sports media getting him in. Wouldn't of happened if he played for any other team.

Mats Sundin career achievments:
-Named to the NHL Second All-Star Team in 2002 and 2004.
-Top 10 NHL scoring 1997 (#7) and 2002 (#4).

THAT'S IT. In Toronto though, welcome to the hall of very good. Let's retire your jersey # too! EMBARRASSING

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
And that doesn't even include Milan Hejduk would would be the fourth all time leading scorer of the Maple Leafs.

I think we can then safely say that Milan Hejduk was a better player than Frank Mahovlich or Syl Apps. I'm glad that debate has finally been put to rest.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Sundin shouldn't have been in the hall of fame anyway, that was Toronto sports media getting him in. Wouldn't of happened if he played for any other team.

Mats Sundin career achievments:
-Named to the NHL Second All-Star Team in 2002 and 2004.
-Top 10 NHL scoring 1997 (#7) and 2002 (#4).

THAT'S IT. In Toronto though, welcome to the hall of very good. Let's retire your jersey # too! EMBARRASSING

Well you know, if you want to spin it by looking at individual seasons ignoring the 1300+ game career, 27th in all time scoring, top 50 in PpG, international career, etc.

Edited, unnecessary

Last edited:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Well you know, if you want to spin it by looking at individual seasons ignoring the 1300+ game career, 27th in all time scoring, top 50 in PpG, international career, etc.

But it's ok man. We understand how much it must sting that despite the storied history of the Canadiens they're just "another NHL team" league wide now, whereas the Leafs despite the mediocrity still matter. It's hardy fair.

It must kill him that we'll always matter more. Didn't you hear Burke the legend? Sundin only made the HOF because he plays in the hockey centre of the universe.

Though even then, the Habs would kill for a forward of Sundin's caliber. They can't even remember what a superstar forward looks like. Their superstar forward drought is nearly as long as our cup drought. That's long!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad