Leafs retire numbers of all 16 previously honoured players plus Dave Keon's #14

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I liked the Leafs' old policy of honoring, not retiring. I think all teams should honor but keep all numbers in circulation. If a kid comes up and wants to wear an 'honored' number, so be it. If he feels strongly about his number, he should be allowed to wear it.

Teams can obviously encourage or discourage players from wearing a certain number, but ultimately it should be up to the individual.

When a banner is raised to the rafters, it is a number and a name. The two go together. Without the name, it's just a number. I don't see the problem.

I know I am in the minority on this issue, but I would love to keep all numbers in circulation. That includes 0, 00 and 99, too.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I'm always open to learning. Post a list of even the top 40 players of those teams you listed above, because I'd love to see how even half of their depth compares. I wouldn't do those lists justice, but you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this.

This wasn't directed at me, but I'm kind of surprised to see this Leaf list being defended. It is pretty amazing that in a 100 seasons a player like Wendel Clark, a journeyman who really only had one good season in his career cracked their top 20. Hell, Tie Domi cracked the top 100.

Let's look at Pittsburgh for example... despite fifty less seasons to draw from...

1) Mario Lemieux
2) Jaromir Jagr
3) Sidney Crosby
4) Evgeni Malkin
5) Ron Francis
6) Mark Recchi
7) Alex Kovalev
8) Kevin Stevens
9) Paul Coffey
10) Larry Murphy
11) Sergei Gonchar
12) Kris Letang
13) Joe Mullen
14) Rick Kehoe
15) Mike Bullard
15) Rick Tocchett
16) Randy Carlyle
17) Martin Straka
18) John Cullen
19) Pierre Larouche
20) Robert Lang
21) Petr Nedved
22) Ulf Samuellson
23) Tom Barasso
24) Marc Andre Fleury
25) Jean Pronovost
26) Pat Boutette
27) Randy Cunneyworth
28) James Neal
29) Rob Brown
30) Syl Apps
31) Greg Malone
32) Chris Kunitz
33) Ron Schock
34) Ron Stackhouse
35) Lowell McDonald
36) Doug Shedden
37) Dan Quinn
38) Pascal Dupuis
39) Jordan Staal
40) Jan Hrdina

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
This wasn't directed at me, but I'm kind of surprised to see this Leaf list being defended. It is pretty amazing that in a 100 seasons a player like Wendel Clark, a journeyman who really only had one good season in his career cracked their top 20. Hell, Tie Domi cracked the top 100.

Let's look at Pittsburgh for example... despite fifty less seasons to draw from...

1) Mario Lemieux
2) Jaromir Jagr
3) Sidney Crosby
4) Evgeni Malkin
5) Ron Francis
6) Mark Recchi
7) Alex Kovalev
8) Kevin Stevens
9) Paul Coffey
10) Larry Murphy
11) Sergei Gonchar
12) Kris Letang
13) Joe Mullen
14) Rick Kehoe
15) Mike Bullard
15) Rick Tocchett
16) Randy Carlyle
17) Martin Straka
18) John Cullen
19) Pierre Larouche
20) Robert Lang
21) Petr Nedved
22) Ulf Samuellson
23) Tom Barasso
24) Marc Andre Fleury
25) Jean Pronovost
26) Pat Boutette
27) Randy Cunneyworth
28) James Neal
29) Rob Brown
30) Syl Apps
31) Greg Malone
32) Chris Kunitz
33) Ron Schock
34) Ron Stackhouse
35) Lowell McDonald
36) Doug Shedden
37) Dan Quinn
38) Pascal Dupuis
39) Jordan Staal
40) Jan Hrdina

Clark cracking the top-20 on that list doesnt mean he's actually a top-20 Leaf. The guy was massively overrated on that list. There were quite a few HOFers, and by HOFers I mean those who spent a large portion of their time with the Leafs and not Brian Leetch style, that should have been above Clark.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

1) Mario Lemieux
2) Jaromir Jagr
3) Sidney Crosby
4) Evgeni Malkin
5) Ron Francis
6) Mark Recchi
7) Alex Kovalev
8) Kevin Stevens
9) Paul Coffey
10) Larry Murphy
11) Sergei Gonchar
12) Kris Letang
13) Joe Mullen
14) Rick Kehoe
15) Mike Bullard
15) Rick Tocchett
16) Randy Carlyle
17) Martin Straka
18) John Cullen
19) Pierre Larouche
20) Robert Lang
21) Petr Nedved
22) Ulf Samuellson
23) Tom Barasso
24) Marc Andre Fleury
25) Jean Pronovost
26) Pat Boutette
27) Randy Cunneyworth
28) James Neal
29) Rob Brown
30) Syl Apps
31) Greg Malone
32) Chris Kunitz
33) Ron Schock
34) Ron Stackhouse
35) Lowell McDonald
36) Doug Shedden
37) Dan Quinn
38) Pascal Dupuis
39) Jordan Staal
40) Jan Hrdina

This Penguins list thins out once you get into the 20's, as I had a feeling it would. It's an impressive list for an expansion team, but how is it supposed to compare to an O6 franchise with 13 cups? It's not supposed to. Which is why I found it ridiculous that other poster even tried to make that claim.

The top 40 alone on the Leafs list has:

29 hall of famers (another 5 are either borderline or missed out for political reasons, early retirement or early death)

30 cup champions as a Leaf, 18 of whom at least 3+ cups with the Leafs

83 total cups as Leafs

Wendel Clark may be high at 15 and Tie Domi arguably high at 93, but then again Jimmy Thomson is low at 40. He was the main defenceman on the 40's dynasty, the NHL first team to ever win 3 straight cups. He missed out on the HOF for his role in forming a players' union. Reg Noble at 55, Gus Mortson at 56, and Harry Cameron at 77 are all low, and should all have placed top 40, bumping out guys like Tomas Kaberle out of the top 40. That's why I said there's no point in nit picking a player or two, because it works both ways. You can only evaluate the list as a whole. And as a whole, the top 40 is incredibly strong, even if you aren't aware of the players' achievements or the story behind them.

Thanks for making that list. I'm sure it'll be roughly the same for the other teams that other poster mentioned earlier. I'm not taking anything away from the Penguins' depth other than to say it's ridiculous to even try and compare the depths of the two teams.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Gilmour's number got retired? Lol he played six seasons there and all he had to show for it was one Selke.

Wendel Clark's number being retired is also absolutely hilarious as well.

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Gilmour's number got retired? Lol he played six seasons there and all he had to show for it was one Selke.

Agreed, this is nostalgia gone crazy. Tomas Kaberle would fit comfortably on that list. Hell, honor the whole "Muskoka Five" while you're at it. Although, it is interesting that the Leafs organization is behaving as silly as ever.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Holy overkill with retired jerseys of above average players.

I was in Toronto for the World Cup and saw the cool statues outside of most of these honored players. I remember thinking its a bunch of good hockey players but no holy crap ones.

Just comparing it the Canadiens who are the only team with a similar amount of retired numbers; the Habs quality of retired jerseys blows them away.

But to each their own. Retire the jerseys of a bunch of players who never won anything I guess. All you need to do now a days is play there for most of your whole career and you get your number retired.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Holy overkill with retired jerseys of above average players.

I was in Toronto for the World Cup and saw the cool statues outside of most of these honored players. I remember thinking its a bunch of good hockey players but no holy crap ones.

Just comparing it the Canadiens who are the only team with a similar amount of retired numbers; the Habs quality of retired jerseys blows them away.

But to each their own. Retire the jerseys of a bunch of players who never won anything I guess. All you need to do now a days is play there for most of your whole career and you get your number retired.

Many Leaf fans will actually agree with you that Gilmour and Clark aren't typically players whose number you'd retire. Honour, sure. But not retire. Fact is they were already honored, so they were grandfathered in to be retired. I'd argue it would actually be classless to remove them from the group of honored numbers once you convert them to retired numbers. You couldn't retire 15 honored players' numbers, but not retire the other honored 2. Standards will be higher in the future.

As for Legends Row, it's not completed. You didn't even see Keon, Horton and Broda at the World Cup, since they were unveiled a couple days ago. By the time it's done with the addition of Conacher, Mahovlich and Kelly, it'll most likely have 10 cup champions from among a total of 13 statues. Sittler, Salming and Sundin the only non-winners. I dunno about you, but I'll take them on my list of top 13 anyday.

Theodoriph

Jul 16, 2009

1) Mario Lemieux
2) Jaromir Jagr
3) Sidney Crosby
4) Evgeni Malkin
5) Ron Francis
6) Mark Recchi
7) Alex Kovalev
8) Kevin Stevens
9) Paul Coffey
10) Larry Murphy
11) Sergei Gonchar
12) Kris Letang
13) Joe Mullen
14) Rick Kehoe
15) Mike Bullard
15) Rick Tocchett
16) Randy Carlyle
17) Martin Straka
18) John Cullen
19) Pierre Larouche
20) Robert Lang
21) Petr Nedved
22) Ulf Samuellson
23) Tom Barasso
24) Marc Andre Fleury
25) Jean Pronovost
26) Pat Boutette
27) Randy Cunneyworth
28) James Neal
29) Rob Brown
30) Syl Apps
31) Greg Malone
32) Chris Kunitz
33) Ron Schock
34) Ron Stackhouse
35) Lowell McDonald
36) Doug Shedden
37) Dan Quinn
38) Pascal Dupuis
39) Jordan Staal
40) Jan Hrdina

That's because the list is a list of top 100 Leafs, not a list of the best players who have ever put on a Leafs uniform. For instance, Brian Leetch, Grant Fuhr, Jacques Plante, Glenn Anderson, Vincent Damphousse, Mike Gartner, Joe Nieuwendyk, Mathieu Schneider, and Ron Francis, to name a few, are not on the list and I'd argue that if we're talking about a list of best players to ever play for the Leafs, some of them should be on there.

But that's not what the list is about. It's about "Leafiness". If I were making a list about "Penguiness", Ron Francis would not be number 5, because he was a Whaler/Hurricane for the vast majority of his career. Hell the Hartford Whaler wiki has an entry called, "The Ron Francis Trade". I'd also drop Paul Coffey and Gonchar down and I'd remove Rick Tocchet entirely. I don't even know what I'd do with Jagr. Guy has played so long for so many teams. He's more of a Ranger in my mind, though likely due to the hoopla that surrounded him in New York.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This shows how little you truly know about the history of the game and it's players. Sittler and Sundin were good, but Apps, Keon and Kennedy were a tier above. Talking about the Leafs lack of history and quality players, you should have an idea about what they are all about first.

I know Apps is a legend, he was the 1st superstar in Leafs history.. i get that but he still only played ~400 NHL games in 30's/40's, dunno i just find it really hard to evaluate those players. As a Habs fan I feel the same way about Newsy Lalonde, Joe Malone, Howie Morenz, Toe Blake, Elmer Lach, Aurele Joliat etc.

Personally, Dave Keon at #1 just doesn't make much sense for me, especially over someone like Sundin. It just feels like he's being propped up because of the cups (while being the captain) and he's an older player. I can't really find a suitable comparison for Habs players because MTL didn't have a dominate forward like Sundin in the 90's (closest one is Koivu i guess.. still pretty far from Sundin tho).. but Dave Keon is in the same tier as Yvan Cournoyer for me, i'd take Sundin over Cournoyer.

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I know Apps is a legend, he was the 1st superstar in Leafs history.. i get that but he still only played ~400 NHL games in 30's/40's, dunno i just find it really hard to evaluate those players. As a Habs fan I feel the same way about Newsy Lalonde, Joe Malone, Howie Morenz, Toe Blake, Elmer Lach, Aurele Joliat etc.

Personally, Dave Keon at #1 just doesn't make much sense for me, especially over someone like Sundin. It just feels like he's being propped up because of the cups (while being the captain) and he's an older player. I can't really find a suitable comparison for Habs players because MTL didn't have a dominate forward like Sundin in the 90's (closest one is Koivu i guess.. still pretty far from Sundin tho).. but Dave Keon is in the same tier as Yvan Cournoyer for me, i'd take Sundin over Cournoyer.
Re: Keon

I don't have him as the greatest myself, due to personal bias, but I would put him over Sundin. Along with the cups and the Conn Smythe, he epitomized what the Leafs traditionally were and how they won their cups. He was a real good two way player with a blue collar mentality, and the Leafs in their glory years were all about grinding it out and winning it as a team rather than through the play of one or two stand out superstars.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto

Apps was not the first superstar in Leafs history. Babe Dye, Charlie Conacher, Busher Jackson and King Clancy all came before him. That's like calling Maurice Richard the first superstar in Habs history. Though from your post, you don't seem to give credit to anyone who played before the 50's.

Personally, I would've had Apps at 1, and Keon at 2. But I've no problem swapping them, with Keon at 1. Compared to Sundin, on the other hand, Keon's 4 cups vs Sundin's 0 is a big deal. In addition to what FrozenJagrt said. The Leafs played a system that didn't need standout superstars. Frank Mahovlich was a standout superstar prospect and just as big a deal as Bobby Hull before Imlach stifled the creativity out of him for the betterment of the team.

That's why I find it hilarious with these comments about how the Leafs couldn't find any all time greats over 100 years. That's not how the Leafs played. They won their cups through playing as a machine to the point where the team was greater than the sum of their parts. All time greats? They had these players. They just didn't utilize them as all time greats.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Clark cracking the top-20 on that list doesnt mean he's actually a top-20 Leaf. The guy was massively overrated on that list. There were quite a few HOFers, and by HOFers I mean those who spent a large portion of their time with the Leafs and not Brian Leetch style, that should have been above Clark.

I totally agree.

There were many many many players ranked lower who dwarfed his accomplishments.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This Penguins list thins out once you get into the 20's, as I had a feeling it would. It's an impressive list for an expansion team, but how is it supposed to compare to an O6 franchise with 13 cups? It's not supposed to. Which is why I found it ridiculous that other poster even tried to make that claim.

The top 40 alone on the Leafs list has:

29 hall of famers (another 5 are either borderline or missed out for political reasons, early retirement or early death)

30 cup champions as a Leaf, 18 of whom at least 3+ cups with the Leafs

83 total cups as Leafs

Wendel Clark may be high at 15 and Tie Domi arguably high at 93, but then again Jimmy Thomson is low at 40. He was the main defenceman on the 40's dynasty, the NHL first team to ever win 3 straight cups. He missed out on the HOF for his role in forming a players' union. Reg Noble at 55, Gus Mortson at 56, and Harry Cameron at 77 are all low, and should all have placed top 40, bumping out guys like Tomas Kaberle out of the top 40. That's why I said there's no point in nit picking a player or two, because it works both ways. You can only evaluate the list as a whole. And as a whole, the top 40 is incredibly strong, even if you aren't aware of the players' achievements or the story behind them.

Thanks for making that list. I'm sure it'll be roughly the same for the other teams that other poster mentioned earlier. I'm not taking anything away from the Penguins' depth other than to say it's ridiculous to even try and compare the depths of the two teams.

Good post.

When you're handicapping any club by having fifty less seasons to draw from, yes, the original poster was making a silly claim, and, to be fair, the other non-original six teams aren't really similar to Pittsburgh. The Penguins, with Crosby, Lemieux, Jagr and Malkin have elite top end talent that other teams simply can't boast.

It is interesting, however, that the Maple Leafs, for all those years of existence and all those Stanley Cups really have never really had any elite top end players that were developed with within their organization. (Maybe Matthews signifies a change, in that regard.)

I think the other poster's comment is kind of based on how underwhelming the Leafs list is. It's kind of surprising when you start going through the names. You see a lot of solid NHLers, but nobody really jumps out as being an All-Timer.

I mean, Dave Keon, who had a great career and was a very solid player, at #1 is really kind of eye opening. There aren't many teams in the league, including many with much much shorter histories that can't boast significantly better players and better top 5's and top 10's.

All of that being said, as you pointed out, the Leafs did themselves no favours by grossly over-rating players from their recent past at the expense of many great players from the 40's and 50's that are buried down their list.

I think they didn't want to acknowledge that their great years or so many decades in the past so they wanted to pretend (and have guys in the building that were alive and the crowd had heard of) that there was plenty of greatness in the last thirty years.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Ray Bourque's # is retired in Colorado BTW.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
But that's not what the list is about. It's about "Leafiness". If I were making a list about "Penguiness", Ron Francis would not be number 5, because he was a Whaler/Hurricane for the vast majority of his career.

Are you serious?

Ron Francis is sixth all-time in Penguins scoring with 613 points in 533 games with the Penguins and won two Stanley Cups. You don't think he's a top 5 all-time Penguin?

That's ridiculous.

I'd also drop Paul Coffey and Gonchar down

Paul Coffey is the all-time Penguins leading scoring defenseman and he won a Stanley Cup with the team. The guy had two seasons of over 100 points with the Penguins and is third all time in points-per-game trailing two All-Timers in Mario and Jagr. You want to drop him down?

Sergei Gonchar played five seasons in Pittsburgh and was twice the #1 blue liner on a team that went to the Cup Final and won it all once. In his five seasons in Pittsburgh he played sixty playoff games and put up 44 points.

Doug Gilmour played only four full seasons in Toronto and parts of two others, never even got to a Final let alone won one and the Maple Leafs retired his number. I think Gonchar deserves where he is. He earned it.

and I'd remove Rick Tocchet entirely.

Tocchett had a short stint in Pittsburgh, but he's fifth all time in points-per-game for the organization and was a key part of the 1992 Stanley Cup title. He posted a 109 point season for the Penguins and in 32 post-season games for Pittsburgh he put up 37 points. If you honestly think a guy that had a 100 point season, won a Cup and was over a point-a-game as a playoff performer for the team doesn't belong on their Top 40 list, we'll have to agree to disagree, but I'd love to know what your requirements are for inclusion if a resume like that doesn't fit your needs.

I don't even know what I'd do with Jagr. Guy has played so long for so many teams. He's more of a Ranger in my mind, though likely due to the hoopla that surrounded him in New York.

This is just madness.

Jaromir Jagr played 11-seasons in Pittsburgh, won two Stanley Cups, five Art Ross Trophies, two Ted Lindsay Awards and a Hart Trophy. He also served as the captain of the team and scored over a thousand points with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

...But you think of him more as Ranger?

Are you joking?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Good post.

When you're handicapping any club by having fifty less seasons to draw from, yes, the original poster was making a silly claim, and, to be fair, the other non-original six teams aren't really similar to Pittsburgh. The Penguins, with Crosby, Lemieux, Jagr and Malkin have elite top end talent that other teams simply can't boast.

It is interesting, however, that the Maple Leafs, for all those years of existence and all those Stanley Cups really have never really had any elite top end players that were developed with within their organization. (Maybe Matthews signifies a change, in that regard.)

I think the other poster's comment is kind of based on how underwhelming the Leafs list is. It's kind of surprising when you start going through the names. You see a lot of solid NHLers, but nobody really jumps out as being an All-Timer.

I mean, Dave Keon, who had a great career and was a very solid player, at #1 is really kind of eye opening. There aren't many teams in the league, including many with much much shorter histories that can't boast significantly better players and better top 5's and top 10's.

All of that being said, as you pointed out, the Leafs did themselves no favours by grossly over-rating players from their recent past at the expense of many great players from the 40's and 50's that are buried down their list.

I think they didn't want to acknowledge that their great years or so many decades in the past so they wanted to pretend (and have guys in the building that were alive and the crowd had heard of) that there was plenty of greatness in the last thirty years.

If we were talking about a top 5 list, then yes the Penguins have the Leafs beat. As do other teams. But this is a top 100 list. The strength of the Leafs' history shows itself once you look into the overall depth of greatness, not just the top end of that greatness.

Who has a greater top 5 than the Leafs? Probably most of the 06, Edmonton and Pittsburgh. NYI and Colorado arguably have a better top 3, but not a better top 5. What about top 10? Take out Edmonton and Pittsburgh. Top 20? Top 40? Now no one compares except Montreal. Maybe Detroit, with their recent successes. But I'd have to be convinced of that with proof.

So with all that depth of greatness, I don't call the Leafs' list underwhelming at all. If I am not impressed with Dave Keon at 1, I'd have to be impressed with a name like Jimmy Thomson at 40. One way people seem to discredit this list is by pointing out Tie Domi at 93. I know other teams' fans hated him and think he's a joke, but he's a fine choice at 93. If you must, replace him with Yushkevich, who was another fine player who didn't make the list of 100 at all.

As for overrating players from the recent past, I don't see that being a pattern. For the most part, I see the real great players from the 30's-60's occupying the top 50 spots, and players from the 70's onwards occupying the last 50 spots, once the better players have already occupied a higher spot. (And I see players from the 20's grossly underrated, but that's another story). The fact that more recent players occupy the spots from 50-100 doesn't mean the team is trying to pretend there was lots of greatness in the recent years. Try looking at the 80th ranked player from another team.

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If we were talking about a top 5 list, then yes the Penguins have the Leafs beat. As do other teams. But this is a top 100 list. The strength of the Leafs' history shows itself once you look into the overall depth of greatness, not just the top end of that greatness.

Who has a greater top 5 than the Leafs? Probably most of the 06, Edmonton and Pittsburgh. NYI and Colorado arguably have a better top 3, but not a better top 5.

I think the Isles top five definitely has an arguable case and I'd take Colorado/Quebec's.

Joe Sakic, Peter Statsny, Peter Forsberg, Patrick Roy and Michel Goulet? Those are legends. A few legit All-Timers. And that doesn't even include Milan Hejduk would would be the fourth all time leading scorer of the Maple Leafs.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I think the Isles top five definitely has an arguable case and I'd take Colorado/Quebec's.

Joe Sakic, Peter Statsny, Peter Forsberg, Patrick Roy and Michel Goulet? Those are legends. A few legit All-Timers. And that doesn't even include Milan Hejduk would would be the fourth all time leading scorer of the Maple Leafs.

That was the farthest thing from the point I was trying to make. If teams have a greater top 5, so be it. I was disputing the notion that the Leafs list of top 100 that came out was a poor one.

But while on that topic, Isles don't have a 5th player to complete that set from the 80's dynasty. No, not Lafontaine and not Tavares. And Stastny and Goulet are great players, but don't match up historically, either. Heck, even Roy isn't "Patrick Roy" if you take way his Montreal years. Still a great goalie, but not head and shoulders above anymore. And Hejduk? That's the kind of suggestion that makes me believe you aren't being sincere. Unless you are going strictly by points, but that would be a huge mistake.

I'm done here.

Hot Water Bottle

Aug 26, 2010
Retiring 16 numbers doesn't go far enough. They should put a crypt/tombstone right in the arena for every departed player. It's all about honor and respect, man!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad