Friedman: Leafs Report Podcast with Jame Mirtle: trade target discussion

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You forgot one additional thing . Leafs think their prospects are about 10x better than they actually are .Example - Knies is the next Cam Neely.
Yeah, a lot of people have that idea- not leafs fans though , but a lot of fans do. Many leafs fans believe that Knies is an excellent prospect and the org doesn't want to move him for a rental, but they "haven't closed any doors."

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Flyers don’t need to move Laughton as is he’s on a very reasonable 3mil per season contract for the next 3 seasons after this one.

Toronto would have to make a good offer in order to get Laughton as moving Scott is not a necessity at this time.
I agree and I think they should target him.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Here's the link to Elliotte Friedman's appearance on The Leaf Report podcast (with James MIrtle and Jonas Siegel).

They talk a lot about what he thinks the Leafs are looking for and what they think they're willing to spend on (but Elliotte says over and over he could always be wrong in his speculations). They also talk a lot about other teams and players they might be interested in.

But I found the most interesting part to be the first few minutes where Friedman talks about it being difficult to discern whether Dubas is just checking in about a player or if he is truly interested in the player. For example, he said he knows that the Leafs haved at least checked in on Timeo Meier, but he's been unable to tell if their interest is on the same level as NJ and Carolina.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Leafs have had interest in Laughton going back to the year he signed his extension. I remember reports back then linking the interest

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
You forgot one additional thing . Leafs think their prospects are about 10x better than they actually are .Example - Knies is the next Cam Neely.

This describes every fan base. I agree we Leaf fans can be insufferable just by our numbers, but your comment is based off your Leaf hate. Grow up. I also don’t recall any Leaf fan saying Knies is the next anyone, just the type of prospect you don’t give up for less than half a year of someone. He’s a good prospect.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Here's the link to Elliotte Friedman's appearance on The Leaf Report podcast (with James MIrtle and Jonas Siegel).

They talk a lot about what he thinks the Leafs are looking for and what they think they're willing to spend on (but Elliotte says over and over he could always be wrong in his speculations). They also talk a lot about other teams and players they might be interested in.

But I found the most interesting part to be the first few minutes where Friedman talks about it being difficult to discern whether Dubas is just checking in about a player or if he is truly interested in the player. For example, he said he knows that the Leafs haved at least checked in on Timeo Meier, but he's been unable to tell if their interest is on the same level as NJ and Carolina.

I never listened to that but Friedman was on Sportsnet yesterday said Leafs should be all in.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
On the Leafs report podcast with James Mirtle Jonas Seigel, Elliot Friedman mentioned that 2 players the Leafs do want are Carson Socuy and Scott Laughton.

In the case of Soucy it doesn't make sense because Seattle is in a playoff spot.

But Scott Laughton would be a great addition although Friedman does admit he's not sure the flyers would move him.

As far as a bottom 6 forward goes Scott Laughton to me would move the needle.

Unlike Sam Lafferty I would be excited to get Scott Laughton I'd think he'd make a big difference to the bottom 6.

Although as always I would prefer a top 6 forward but If they go bottom 6 by all means bring on Scott Laughton
Friedman does not say that the Leafs want Soucy and Laughton. He was asked if there players out there that the Leafs could be interested in that weren't being reported on. He names Soucy and Laughton as two players that he THINKS the Leafs might be interested in based on he thinks the Leafs are looking for. But it's clearly speculation by Friedman and he admits he could be wrong.

But once again, we have a poster on these boards inaccurately reporting what Friedman is saying.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
How has Soucy been this year? Liked him here in MN, but he was on the third pairing, behind Suter, Spurgeon, Brodin, and Dumba

Reactions: Sandisfan

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Leafs in on everyone, also leafs. don't want to give up 1st or any prospect of value
Seems to be the same story every year. The clever workaround.
I do think this may be the year they finally go all in and make a splash. There must be pressure on the front office.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
On the Leafs report podcast with James Mirtle Jonas Seigel, Elliot Friedman mentioned that 2 players the Leafs do want are Carson Socuy and Scott Laughton.

In the case of Soucy it doesn't make sense because Seattle is in a playoff spot.

But Scott Laughton would be a great addition although Friedman does admit he's not sure the flyers would move him.

As far as a bottom 6 forward goes Scott Laughton to me would move the needle.

Unlike Sam Lafferty I would be excited to get Scott Laughton I'd think he'd make a big difference to the bottom 6.

Although as always I would prefer a top 6 forward but If they go bottom 6 by all means bring on Scott Laughton
For real sire. Laughton would TOTALLY, TOTALLY change our dirty third line for life. And brang back that tucker roberts domi type of conference final game. For real.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
People should give a listen to at least the first few minutes of the podcast where Elliotte talks about the fact that he thinks Dubas has become very good at disguising what his true intentions are. For example, Elliotte says he knows that the Leafs have called San Jose to talk about what they're doing with Meier, he's been unable to determine if Dubas' interest is on the same level as NJ and Carolina. I suspect this may be something that Dubas learned from Lamoriello who was one of the GMs who Friedman called a vault when it came to getting info like this from them.

If you haven't at least called San Jose, you're not doing a very good job.

Reactions: SnS

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
By the end of the trade deadline, the Leafs are going to have enough players for 2 teams. They're getting everyone.
As Friedman talks about in this very podcast, he feels that Dubas has become very good at disguising what his true intentions are and that it's hard to tell whether Dubas is just checking in on a player or if he is seriously interested.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Laughton is the next captain of the Flyers, and ostensibly is right now. In Flyers culture, the only higher orders are Bob Clarke and God. Good luck with that.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Soucy doesn't particularly surprise me being a target for Dubas' - he's very much in line with the Leafs style. Has also had good analytics since his Wild days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad