http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=525512

2008-2009 - 24th.
2009-2010 - 29th.
2010-2011 - 22nd.
2011-2012 - 26th.
2012-2013 - 9th. (shortened season)
2013-2014 - 23rd.

2014-2015 - ?

I'm going to say 10th. overall would be a reasonable expectation after a 6 year rebuild.

I look at it in very simple terms. GA, this team is as bad defensively as it was 6 years ago. With no improvement in sight. As long as this is the norm, the odds of the Leafs improving are minimal. Hard to be optimistic when you see below how bad this team is defensively.

GA past 6 years.

13-14 26th
12-13 17th * shortened season *
11-12 29th
10-11 25th
09-10 29th
08-09 30th

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Detroit stays healthy this year then having Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Nyquist for a full season would make them a conference heavyweight. That's a big if though

Zetterberg and Datsyuk played only 45 games each last season and Detroit only finished 7 points behind Montreal.

I agree a healthy Detroit team is a playoff team.

An injury plague Detroit finished 9 points (93) ahead of our Leafs (84).

Last edited:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
The Leafs are, as is usual this past decade or so, a very difficult team to guage. There currently haven't been huge changes made, BUT, we have key young guys at key positions (Bernier, Kadri, Reilly, Gardiner, and can even throw in Bozak) who can and probably will continue their upwards trends. So it's very hard to say even by guessing at how these young developing players do, how much that affects the overall team. Then you have to factor in things like potential trades (Franson looks like an extra piece they don't need at this point. Lots of big move trade potential with perhaps Phaneuf, even a Lupul.)

So it's a real guess for me. I almost have to use 'Leaf Logic' at this point, and go by what has happened in the past: they will do the opposite of what most pundits think they will do.

Which means they make the playoffs easily this year, lol.

As other have pointed out quite correctly . . . the East IS for the taking. The former juggernauts of Boston and Pittsburgh are in decline, it would appear. Lots of other middling teams with similar problems as the Leafs. So I'll predict that Reilly and Kadri step it up bigtime, and start leading this team, and Bernier plays 60 games, to take us into the playoffs confidently.

the leafs haven't been difficult to gauge at all over the last decade it's been bottom 10 finish after bottom 10 finish with the exception of a 48 game season. and the trend will probably continue, they'll still be one of the worst defensive teams in the league, along with being weak down the middle( which btw is a big reason why were weak defensively). those 2 things alone is a recipe for disaster.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
My brain says 9th in the East but my heart says maybe they'll avoid another collapse and get the final WC spot.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
If Bernier is 100% after his surgery! the leafs will get into the playoffs. There was enough coaching change and depth added to keep people honest. I think you will see a determined group to start the year. Some people are going to get better through maturity. It's the Kadri's, Gardiner's, Rielly's that are going to improve the team this year the most.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
[QUOTE=slozo;89270701]The Leafs are, as is usual this past decade or so, a very difficult team to guage. There currently haven't been huge changes made, BUT, we have key young guys at key positions (Bernier, Kadri, Reilly, Gardiner, and can even throw in Bozak) who can and probably will continue their upwards trends. So it's very hard to say even by guessing at how these young developing players do, how much that affects the overall team. Then you have to factor in things like potential trades (Franson looks like an extra piece they don't need at this point. Lots of big move trade potential with perhaps Phaneuf, even a Lupul.)

So it's a real guess for me. I almost have to use 'Leaf Logic' at this point, and go by what has happened in the past: they will do the opposite of what most pundits think they will do.

Which means they make the playoffs easily this year, lol.

As other have pointed out quite correctly . . . the East IS for the taking. The former juggernauts of Boston and Pittsburgh are in decline, it would appear. Lots of other middling teams with similar problems as the Leafs. So I'll predict that Reilly and Kadri step it up bigtime, and start leading this team, and Bernier plays 60 games, to take us into the playoffs confidently.[/QUOTE]

as a matter of fact, they have been exceptionally easy to read and predict and very consistence

cellar dwellers.

maybe you find is so difficult to see , form of denial?

your love for team and hope, won't let you see the ugly fact since the first lockout.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
3rd best ot/shootout record,

6th best PP,

Berny mvp .923 sv%, all will slip back to league averages/norms .915 sv% ish, Riems is a bad backup ( wrong frame of mind)and I think his style needs many reps to be effective.

we had no season altering injuries like so many teams had, I see us actually having just cause to complain about that this season.

lots of other issues to list but no interest in doing so.

79 points, draft 5th overall.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Leafs are borderline (which I think they will be), I think they will be massive sellers at the trade-deadline. Either way should be an interesting season.

The Team sure seems to be built that way.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Zetterberg and Datsyuk played only 45 games each last season and Detroit only finished only 7 points behind Montreal.

I agree a healthy Detroit team is a playoff team.

An injury plague Detroit finished 9 points (93) ahead of our Leafs (84).

Most of their top defenders were also injured for a chunk of the season as well IIRC.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
32-40-10

We completely melted down last year with 12 losses in our last 14 games, and before that we were winning in an incredibly unsustainable fashion, it was similar to the season before where we still sucked but we actually made the playoffs, I'm willing to call it an anomaly since the Islanders got in too, but that's all old news by this point. We've made 0 meaningful roster changes (not even a coaching change) despite this team looking like a complete train wreck for quite some time now. There is definitely not much to be optimistic about except Rielly, Gardiner, Nylander etc... who look like some pretty great players in the making.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
It'll be a slow start due to new players and system, but very optimistic.

Prediction: 97 pts!

fp1qqd.jpg

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I don't see it this year. 10-11 in the conference and another lottery pic. Just keep building.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00