Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Hyman to a 4 year @ $9 mil ($2.25 AAV) contract.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You guys can't look ahead and see that Hyman is going to replace Leo on Kadri's line, most likely next season?

• Leo does not get resigned at 3 mil
  • Hyman replaces Leo at 2.25 mil on Kadri line
  • 750K savings
  • Granstrom, Korshkov, replace Hyman on an ELC...

Last edited:

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Unbelievable that people get their panties in a bunch over a player making $2.2 million dollars because they think a player like this will hurt the Leafs' cap situation. Send him down and use the 900K or whatever savings they get. Either way, if the Leafs get to the point where they are worried about Hyman's contract, they likely have more pressing concerns but they won't because no one is going to give a crap about this contract.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
A bad contract is a bad contract. 750k was a big deal on the McDiscount, so yeah every dollar counts when it's a small one.

I feel it's an overpayment and to out it in perspective if EDM signed him to this deal I would say the wiggle room McDavid gave them was wasted in this over payment.

And if you feel no big deal because you save 750k when Komarov is replaced by him than you do care about 750k and imagine if it was a savings of 1.5 mil!

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
Also, nvm the percentage a 750k overpayment on a small contract over a larger contract is, if I overpayment I'm overpaying the skill player because that's the hard to get , hard to replace one. I'm sorry, but the reason people are paid this level is because they are replaceable.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
A bad contract is a bad contract. 750k was a big deal on the McDiscount, so yeah every dollar counts when it's a small one.

I feel it's an overpayment and to out it in perspective if EDM signed him to this deal I would say the wiggle room McDavid gave them was wasted in this over payment.

And if you feel no big deal because you save 750k when Komarov is replaced by him than you do care about 750k and imagine if it was a savings of 1.5 mil!

To me his offense is so suspect I would not have considered giving him 4 years but I would also not have left him with Matthews all of last season. If you or I undervalue him and he proves to have more game than he showed last year then the deal is probably fine.

After the initial gag reflex I have to admit my anti-Zach sentiments are heavily based on what I consider to be a weak potential to improve because of his age. But if he's a 35 point player this season he is worth the deal and if he's a 40 point player then they look pretty smart for locking him up for 4. If he's a 40 point guy playing beside Kadri for most of the year, then the Leafs look like geniuses.

I am prepared to accept the fact I might be wrong.:) I didn't like the Andersen contract either because to me he hadn't proven enough to earn the term and he totally was. There is certainly a chance that any player gets better year two in the league so its really too early to judge. The Zaitsev deal is riskier.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think a few of you were missing the point of my hypothetical cap situation in 3 years. Yes... the cap could increase from $75... but likely only $2 million per year... leaving it at $79 million in the 20-21 season. That's our big crunch season.

But if you look at that projected line-up... there's basically no room to fit in Marleau's contract in his 3rd year. If he plays well the next two years, might be nice to have the option to keep him.

I think I was also being generous by giving the big 3 a $24 cap hit combined... and only $6 for Gardiner.

But if you look at my projected lineup, that only includes 3 defenders. So all this talk about a "number 1 defender" isn't really possible. Other than those core players, we're looking at paying the remaining players between the minimum and $3 million.

Basically, I was just trying to demonstrate how tight against the cap we will be in the 20-21 season going forward. Every dollar is going to count at that point.

I suppose it's not the end of the world because we could always trade Hyman after 2 more years... but I don't think that Babcock wants that to happen.

So when we're looking at places we could cut money... Hyman and Martin come to mind. These are both 4th line caliber players at best and they are making almost $5 million combined.

Hyman I think is a bottom 6 AHL caliber player and paying him this much over this kind of term is bad because we'll need every bit of cap space possible after the next two seasons.

edit: i'm also not saying that all our cap problems would have been solved had Hyman got $1 million less. But we need to really watch our cap space after the next two seasons. So overpaying for grinders is going to add up and will eventually cost us down the road.

Last edited:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Unbelievable that people get their panties in a bunch over a player making $2.2 million dollars because they think a player like this will hurt the Leafs' cap situation. Send him down and use the 900K or whatever savings they get. Either way, if the Leafs get to the point where they are worried about Hyman's contract, they likely have more pressing concerns but they won't because no one is going to give a crap about this contract.

Not to mention it being very easy to dump 2 million

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
it's very important that the player is happy with his contract :laugh: The Leafs are trying to negotiate a fair deal for both sides and not rip the player off.

Sep 18, 2009
Too much

Leafs need to get it together

Too much overpayment

Marleau
Hyman

Hopefully they tell Gardiner to get real

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Who the **** gives a 4th line slug a NTC ?

This is the down side of a coach having to much power .

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
just being consistent.
don't like NMCs. Don't like NTC's. :)

NMC's and NTC's are a lot more common today than they used to be, so I think you can ease up a little bit on them. Every star or core player has them now (Hyman's not a star of course but he's arguably a core player). Also, I'm certain if the Leafs were to ever ask Hyman to waive so we could move him to a team out of his 10-team list, he would oblige. He seems like a good guy.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
You guys are too much :laugh:

It's seriously nothing. Don't get worked up about it.

I don't know how anyone says it's nothing
It's already hard enough to make trades with a cap, give half your team NTC's (even partial) and it makes it that much harder.
I don't think NMC/NTC's should exist at all but if you're going to give one, it should be to star players. Not a guy who has one year in the league (and gets a 4 year deal!!!)

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Who the **** gives a 4th line slug a NTC ?

This is the down side of a coach having to much power .

1. Hyman isn't a slug
2. Babcock wasn't negotiating Hyman's contract for him
3. Hyman will at worst, be on our third line

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Too much

Leafs need to get it together

Too much overpayment

Marleau
Hyman

Hopefully they tell Gardiner to get real

you want them to draw the line at good players, necerssary players? capitulate to a FA we didnt really need and a 4th liner but stand firm on top4 Dmen and top6 forwards?. This means minimum all new contracts have a NTC, this phrase will be said to lou alot "well if Zach '28 point' Hyman can have security why cant i?"

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
You guys are too much :laugh:

It's seriously nothing. Don't get worked up about it.

That is true, a NTC clause given to a player you have no intention of trading is actually seriously nothing.

For the next 4 years Hyman is expected to be a Leaf and that makes the NTC both non applicable and irrelevant.

The only people complaining about the clause must be the ones that want him traded, which then becomes more about the player & management to resign him than the NTC clause itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad