Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-sign Drew MacIntyre

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
A pretty solid re-signing. Good to keep some solid goaltending with the Marlies. Though certainly a sign that we might want to draft a few goalies since we really are thin there.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
^ Not really, but I think it would've been nice to have Owuya and Sparks playing for the marlies to see if one of them was a diamond in the rough as they both have potential..

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Decent AHL signing.

Ouwya and MacIntyre for the Marlies while Sparks gets ECHL starts.

We need a third stringer. in case a goaltender gets injured.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He's a vet minor goalie for Christ's sakes. Do we have any blooming goalie prospects he's taking a spot away from?

yeah, both sparks and owuya should be getting AHL time. both have a chance to be legit NHL prospects.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Good vet tender to help keep the Marlies competitive.

You can't just "let the kids play" and compete for the Calder year in year out...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
yup, Owuya was awful in all ELEVEN games he played this year, after being fantastic in 19 games as a rookie last year and in the SEL before that.

I guess maybe it's smart to give up on a 23 year goalie after 11 bad games in favour of a 30 year old career mediocre AHLer, but IMO it's a waste.

member 147413

boo

let the kids play on the marlies, please.

They'd lose every game running the inconsistent pairing of Rynnas and Owuya.

MacIntyre actually wins games, you should try watching the Marlies play rather then whine about them. You're not going to develop good prospects by throwing a bunch of 20 year olds in one of the biggest city's in the world with no mentor ship. Not only that but I'd rather not have them losing because they're "playing the kids" keep some vets in there.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

MacIntyre actually wins games, you should try watching the Marlies play rather then whine about them. You're not going to develop good prospects by throwing a bunch of 20 year olds in one of the biggest city's in the world with no mentor ship. Not only that but I'd rather not have them losing because they're "playing the kids" keep some vets in there.

If we had ready goaltending prospects, MacEntyre wouldn't have been needed. Rynnas and Owuya aren't anything special and Sparks needs atleast a year in a backup role.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Rynnas is a UFA and likely heading home to Europe according to earlier reports.

Owuya is a RFA and needs a new contract, but had a poor season overall, but might get a chance to redeem himself if re-signed.

However so both their Leaf futures are uncertain at the moment.

Drew MacIntyre was Marlies starting Goalie, and it appears that he will again be the main man between the pipes.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

MacIntyre had a career half season. sweet.

Marlies are 15-10-2 with Owuya in net the past two seasons, with him posting a .912sv%.

even with Owuya playing absolutely awful in his 11gms this year, the Marlies were 4-5-1.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Good signing.

He provides stability to the whole Marlies squad who will be in a transition with Eakins gone.

And yes Zeke, I want the kids to play too, but this is a high level professional men's league and young goalies need to be brought along slowly, no different than any other non blue chip prospects.

I wouldn't mind a MacIntyre/Sparks combo. But injuries and inconsistency usually strike in one form or another, if Owuya is a legit prospect, he'll shine no matter where he's playing.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Can't complain about goaltending depth.

MacIntrye played well in his time with the Marlies. Unless we're planning to acquire a top goaltending prospect, this was a no brainer.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If sparks is the 2nd goalie, I like the move... I've seen him a couple times and after hearing/reading about how great Sparks was doing for Guelph, I was disappointed as he got yanked both times... He's inconsistent (although I heard he improved near the end of the year) and a veteran goaltender would help him.

However, if it's MacIntryre and Owuya, I think Sparks has higher potential and I think it'll be a waste (but who knows with goalies tbh).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad