Confirmed with Link: Leafs re-claim Griffith (assigned to Marlies)

Iceguy24

Feb 3, 2009
Newmarket, ON
Per @CapFriendly,

#Leafs sending Seth Griffith straight back to the #Marlies suggests that Toronto was the only team to put in a claim prior to noon today.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Marlies need him. Kapanen is out for awhile and they've struggled a lot. He will give them an AHL superstar, while giving the Leafs depth moving forward.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I think I might've figured out why we did this:

Expansion Draft.

After playing 16 more games, he becomes one of two forwards that are required to be exposed. Before that we had to choose between giving up an actual player (Bozak, Leo, etc) or resigning a bum (smith, laich, etc), or trading for a bum.

He's RFA 17, same as Ben Smith and Byron Froese who both need only 12 more games to reach exposure requirements. Can't be the only reason they reacquired him.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Smith has been waived 3 times now this season .. I highly doubt Vegas would consider him in the expansion draft anyway.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If he can go straight to ahl this is great for the Marlies as they have been struggling and need a center like him.
Marlies are last in their Div and ranked #29 of 30 AHL teams in the standings.

They could use all the help they can get and with Kapanen hurt recently this is likely his desired replacement.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
We really don't have any good prospects at center in our system and I was going to post yesterday, that he may be a good pick up for the Marlies.

Good deal, free wallet, small for a centerman at 5'9" but a decent player

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
He's RFA 17, same as Ben Smith and Byron Froese who both need only 12 more games to reach exposure requirements. Can't be the only reason they reacquired him.

Smith is a UFA, so we'd need to resign him before the draft and might get forced to keep him.

Byron Froese falls under the same category, but at the same time who would you rather play 20 games this season, Griffith or Froese.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Smith has been waived 3 times now this season .. I highly doubt Vegas would consider him in the expansion draft anyway.

It's not about Vegas drafting him, it's about meeting our minimum exposure requirements. You don't want to be forced to expose Leo if you can get a dozen games for Smith and then agree on a palatable extension.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Smith is a UFA, so we'd need to resign him before the draft and might get forced to keep him.

Byron Froese falls under the same category, but at the same time who would you rather play 20 games this season, Griffith or Froese.

My bad. Good catch.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Seems like an odd time for Florida to waive Griffith after Barkov likely being done for the season?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Seems like an odd time for Florida to waive Griffith after Barkov likely being done for the season?

Maybe they didn't see much long-term potential in Griffith in his stint with the club, and are opting to see what other prospects can do. Or, more likely, they're clearing roster space for cap dumps.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
This is for the Marlies for sure. Leafs are in a playoff hunt. They aren't going to give some guy significant playing time just for the sake of some sort of expansion draft requirement.

That being said I like Seth Griffith. He didn't do much in Florida but he's been an excellent junior player and an excellent AHL player and he hasn't been given that much opportunity in the NHL yet. In the right situation things might click for him.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Happy to have him back.

Still think he can become a solid NHL player and the Marlies really need him right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad