Kitchener, ON
nic_cage_moar.gif

LOL.

Perfect.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
He looks a lot like Giroux out there.

Hopefully someone gets extended video of Nylander or the camp in general today.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I wasn’t following hockey closely in 2009, but how do Nylander and Kadri compare when they were drafted? Who would likely be considered the superior prospect?

Note: I’m assuming everyone will say Nylander, ya know- hot new prospect, but I’m curious if anyone can give me an objective view.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
I wasn’t following hockey closely in 2009, but how do Nylander and Kadri compare when they were drafted? Who would likely be considered the superior prospect?

Note: I’m assuming everyone will say Nylander, ya know- hot new prospect, but I’m curious if anyone can give me an objective view.

I can remember a lot of discontent among Leafs Nation when we selected Kadri. A lot of posters wanted Paajarvi/Cowen. It was a little bit different when we selected Nylander - most of us were quite pleased!

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585

Nylander is a lot faster...just watch them

Tucker93

Apr 5, 2013
Ottawa

They are pretty similar. Main difference is that Kadri plays with more of an edge to his game but he wasn't as strong of a skater as Nylander when he was Nylander's age. So Nylander seems to be more explosive and have the ability to process things at a higher speed than Kadri.

If Nylander wasn't playing in Europe where he struggled against men at the start of the season, and instead was playing at the junior level in Canada he probably wouldn't have even dropped to us.

But they are truly quite similar. One of the main reasons I still feel that Kadri has top line upside. Just Nylander seems to be a slight step ahead of Kadri when Kadri was his age

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

Nylander was rated higher in most rankings in his draft year. Kadri was slower, smaller, and lighter. Kadri also had an edge to his game but he was never the consensus most talented player in the draft like Nylander and I don't think people even expected Nylander to fall to 8 while some thought Kadri might have been a reach at 7 over Cowen and MPS. So there is no doubt in my mind that Nylander would likely be considered the superior prospect. In terms of upside and potential, I think Nylander's projections were on another level over Kadri's.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Nylander was rated higher in most rankings in his draft year. Kadri was slower, smaller, and lighter. Kadri also had an edge to his game but he was never the consensus most talented player in the draft like Nylander and I don't think people even expected Nylander to fall to 8 while some thought Kadri might have been a reach at 7 over Cowen and MPS. So there is no doubt in my mind that Nylander would likely be considered the superior prospect. In terms of upside and potential, I think Nylander's projections were on another level over Kadri's.

We could potentially have TWO "most talented in their draft class" young players soon, in Rielly and Nylander.

Rielly's projected to become a top-pairing D-Man, and Nylander a top-line player.

DANG!!! It's about time.

:)

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

I was one of the only posters here who was happy when we drafted Kadri but there's no doubt that Nylander has a step on him.

They're both exceptionally skilled and creative but Nylander has explosive speed which puts him ahead. Unless Kadri can get much stronger, he won't be at Nylander's future level.

This being said, Kadri plays the more important position. And while everyone is hoping that Nylander is a future center, it is not his natural position. He is far more comfortable on the wing.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I was one of the only posters here who was happy when we drafted Kadri but there's no doubt that Nylander has a step on him.

They're both exceptionally skilled and creative but Nylander has explosive speed which puts him ahead. Unless Kadri can get much stronger, he won't be at Nylander's future level.

This being said, Kadri plays the more important position. And while everyone is hoping that Nylander is a future center, it is not his natural position. He is far more comfortable on the wing.

Nylander also has a better shot than Naz, from what I've seen.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

You have to think the Leafs will start him at center on the Marlies immediately though, as we are so weak with Centers in the organization.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
They are pretty similar. Main difference is that Kadri plays with more of an edge to his game but he wasn't as strong of a skater as Nylander when he was Nylander's age. So Nylander seems to be more explosive and have the ability to process things at a higher speed than Kadri.

If Nylander wasn't playing in Europe where he struggled against men at the start of the season, and instead was playing at the junior level in Canada he probably wouldn't have even dropped to us.

But they are truly quite similar. One of the main reasons I still feel that Kadri has top line upside. Just Nylander seems to be a slight step ahead of Kadri when Kadri was his age

i wonder if nylanders father playing pro hockey is a reason why he is further ahead at the same age?

kadri is ridiculously skilled imo and far from a bad skater so if nylander is faster and as good or dare i say more skilled we might have a legit prospect on our hands.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

Can't help but think that Kadri is a key part of this team. I know he says the same thing over and over about how he's learning and is still young but what he's saying is true. To build a successful deep team we need to be very patient (that means more than 2-3 years). He still was near the top in team scoring and always will be if we all cut him some slack. He needs to win face/offs consistently which will help his +/- get better. I see Nylander Kadri Frattin causing some s***t together soon.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
You have to think the Leafs will start him at center on the Marlies immediately though, as we are so weak with Centers in the organization.

Yea I think they'll try to mold him into a center but I doubt it will work.

I see him a bit like Zetterberg in this regard: he can play center in a pinch but he's definitely better on the wing.

LarsVonTrier*

Micheal Nylander was a hell of a player, sadly he was a bit of an injury case. He played really well in Rangers, and my best memory of him was when he tied Canada 2-2 in World Cup 1996 semi-final.

Last edited by a moderator:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
i wonder if nylanders father playing pro hockey is a reason why he is further ahead at the same age?

kadri is ridiculously skilled imo and far from a bad skater so if nylander is faster and as good or dare i say more skilled we might have a legit prospect on our hands.

Kadri isnt a bad skater but he certainly isnt a good skater.

Nylanders skating and agility look miles better compared to when Kadri was a prospect or even to this day.

Thats the difference between the two. I mean imagine you were to give Mike Ribero Patrick Kanes speed and explosiveness (He would be one of the best players in the world). Nylander has world class speed, agility and explosiveness and Kadri really doesnt.

MetalJamesK

Jun 27, 2011
Caledon, Ont
Sorry if the video isnt as close as it should be but I did not have access inside the rink. I got a couple videos of Nylander in shootout, the first video shows his lethal shot. He didnt seem to be playing hard today as he did yesterday but still was one of the better players out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNfHbUtErA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWlTd1oK4yg

Pierre Engvall was a stand out. Big body who is a very good skater and did well protecting the puck. He was our 7th round pick this year but you would think he was drafted higher by the way he skated today with that size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PGY-C6WtAo

Last edited:

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
He could be our 1c in the future.... but wait! Shouldn't he be 6'3, 220lb, with both offensive/defensive acumen as well as possess intangibles with grit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad