Proposal: Leafs/Preds blockbuster

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I would think that Nashville says no. Both Ekholm and Arvidsson are on great deals and the upgrade from Arvidsson to Nylander isnt worth taking on the extra salary and exchanging Ekholm for Gardiner.

Reactions: Digable5

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The Leafs found out they are deep at LD moving forward (Rielly Dermott Rosen Borgman Sandin) because they gave Rielly tough minutes/situations and played the prospects in the NHL last year.

Why shouldn't they do the same thing on RD. Continue to play Zaitsev in tough situations/minutes and let a couple of kids play the right side this year (Holl Carrick Ozhiganov Liljegren). It is the best way to get a good cap friendly d-core.

This is the best year to shelter/develop some RD with their stacked forwards and stacked LD.​

Reactions: Mork and Pyrophorus

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This doesn't work at all for the Predators. Arvidsson is a great fit on the wing on the JoFA line and we need what he brings more than Nylander's playmaking-oriented style. Even moreso considering the contracts.

And Ekholm vs. Gardiner is just a non-starter.

There is just no remote interest in the this deal from the Nashville side.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
This doesn't work at all for the Predators. Arvidsson is a great fit on the wing on the JoFA line and we need what he brings more than Nylander's playmaking-oriented style. Even moreso considering the contracts.

And Ekholm vs. Gardiner is just a non-starter.

There is just no remote interest in the this deal from the Nashville side.

I keep looking at this and ask myself, "How does this benefit Nashville?"

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
No, Nylander isn't worth so much more than Arvidsson that we should have to downgrade so badly at defense.

Nylander and Arvidsson are about equal, Ekholm is far better than Gardiner. The 1st is nice, but it's two years from now and we're looking to win the cup now.

We just won the Presidents trophy and went to the finals the year before, we don't need to do another blockbuster deal. We need to upgrade our bottom pairing, start Saros more next year and see how Turris and Tolvanen do in their first whole year with us.

Jeebs

Oct 26, 2011
If Gardiner would sign for that contract, the Leafs would re-sign him.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Nylander = arvidsson
Ekholm > gardiner
ah, there's the disconnect

Nylander>Arvidsson for sure - 3 years younger, might be a center, big pedigree. Nylander has the biggest trade value in the deal

also missing the accounting for the 1st rounder, which is probably late, but look how you guys have done with Leaf picks in the late 1st & 2nd rounds, it's worth something

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
ah, there's the disconnect

Nylander>Arvidsson for sure - 3 years younger, might be a center, big pedigree. Nylander has the biggest trade value in the deal

also missing the accounting for the 1st rounder, which is probably late, but look how you guys have done with Leaf picks in the late 1st & 2nd rounds, it's worth something

Arvidsson's contract helps negate any advantage Nylander has with his age, and it's not like Arvidsson is pushing 40, he just turned 25.

Pedigree means nothing after prospects graduate, these guys both had the same exact amount of points two years in a row, they're on par with each other. You wouldn't say that Gardiner is better than Ekholm just because he was drafted in the 1st round a decade ago.

The 1st round pick coming back has value, but not enough for a cup contender to downgrade that much, and as you said it might as well be an early 2nd.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Arvidsson's contract helps negate any advantage Nylander has with his age, and it's not like Arvidsson is pushing 40, he just turned 25.

Pedigree means nothing after prospects graduate, these guys both had the same exact amount of points two years in a row, they're on par with each other. You wouldn't say that Gardiner is better than Ekholm just because he was drafted in the 1st round a decade ago.

The 1st round pick coming back has value, but not enough for a cup contender to downgrade that much, and as you said it might as well be an early 2nd.
sure, Arvidsson doesn't have much/any projectability left though right? Nylander has a bunch, only coming into his 3rd full season at 22

I'll disagree on pedigree after the draft, like I'd bet you don't see Craig Smith's trade value being the same as Drouin's. Development isn't linnear and some guys carry the allure of what could be for a long while after the enter the league

anyway, wasn't supposed to start a pissing match. I like Arvidsson, but I bet if you put this to a poll that Nylander comes out as being viewed as the highest value piece in the deal

I don't do this trade from the Leafs side, I can see why Nashville doesn't either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad