Line Combos: Leafs Practice Lines Today

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
What would you rather they do?
Trade JVR/Bozak for a 6th round pick?
This is probably their last season here anyways. We've already heard the whining for the past 3-4 years about them

They are far from perfect players. Defensively they struggle, offensively they're pretty good. As 3rd line players, the value they bring is far better than most if not all 3rd line players in the NHL

And have bozak+jvr in the line up and do what? Leave a net negative impact on the team? yea no thanks!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ya, like you are trying to be the defensive conscience for the entire line, as well as drive the line offensively as well.

The problem is NOBODY is the defensive conscience on that line, there all bloody terrible right now defensively

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Definitely a side of the move that most people tend to ignore. Brown has been playing well on the 4th line even if his point totals are not as high as Mitch's so far. He's worked hard and has been good defensively.

It's not like Marner has completely been useless on the line, Brown has done well enough to warrant a look for him higher up in the lineup.

Marner will be back, the young guys are the last to go on this roster. Please remember that.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Name me all the 3rd line players in the league better than them

Name me all the 3rd line players who are net negative in goal differentials even strength and btw also include their collective cap hit. Bozak (4.2) and JVR (4.25) are collectively 8.45 million cap hit for a negative goal differential.

Give me some players (or duos) who ahve the same cap hit and are a negative net differential in goals

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
@20 seconds into the vid (first one) Mitch basically says he is not happy how his game is progressing defensively;
how about we ask the question to the "vets" who had been playing with him in games;

just makes my blood boil that a kid has to answer the tough questions but the "vets" get a pass....

Come on Lou; lets get going already......
@20 seconds into the vid (first one) Mitch basically says he is not happy how his game is progressing defensively;
how about we ask the question to the "vets" who had been playing with him in games;

just makes my blood boil that a kid has to answer the tough questions but the "vets" get a pass....

Come on Lou; lets get going already......

Those veterans at this stage you pretty much can't change their habits. With Marner you still can. So it makes you really upset that Marner has to answer these questions? He was the one demoted off the line who else are you going to ask?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

“[The start] has been not the way I think I wanted it to go,” Marner said. “Defensively, I’m not too happy with how that’s going. Just have to build it back and make sure you’re working hard every day.”

Marner has been only one piece of the problem with the Leafs’ third line. Despite drawing easier matchups than last season and seeing more than 55 per cent of their starts in the offensive zone, the trio has been on the ice for seven of Toronto’s 12 even-strength goals against, while amassing only six points combined at even strength.

In Saturday’s 4-3 overtime win against Montreal, the line saw their ice time diminish after they were out for both the Canadiens’ even-strength goals.

“Let’s not read too much into this. Their line wasn’t going,” head coach Mike Babcock said Monday. “Tie goes to the veteran. [Marner] just happens to be the kid on the line, that’s it. You have to have all your units going and we’re trying to do that. We didn’t think we generated a lot [in Montreal] …we felt we could be way better as a team, so we have to find a way to be better.”
Marner was briefly relegated to the fourth line early last season, but it only lasted about a period. Marner hopes this move is only a blip as well.

“[Babcock’s message] is just to work harder I think, that’s the main thing here,” he said. “Trying to get better as a player, defensively and offensively, just work on everything. You have to keep your eyes open for every guy coming in a lane no matter how much time the person has, that’s the big difference.”
“I don’t think we really have a fourth line. I think all of our lines are very skilled,” Marner said. “It’s going to be exciting, [Martin and Moore] both work very hard to get the puck back, and they’re always around the net so it’s just going to be about getting open for those two guys and trying to get the puck in net.”

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Martin and Moore seem to have a good rapport so hopefully the line clicks a bit
JVR and Bozak should also take notice. A shot across the bow so to speak

Reactions: Rogie

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Put Marner on a line with Matthews, and we're having this conversation about Willy right now instead.
I think if Willie and Marner switch places, a lot of people will be calling Willie the player that we all thought Phil could be.
Truth is, the team is 4-1 and I think first in the division and the JVR-Brozak-Marner line are producing the offenses.
I think having Marner plays with Martin, Moore/Fehr will help him understand that not only do you need to adjust how you play based on your opponents, you also need to adjust who you are playing with.
Marner is smart enough and ambitious enough to know that he needs to take the next step to become great and I am sure he will bc that's what he has been doing all his life.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What would you rather they do?
Trade JVR/Bozak for a 6th round pick?

This is probably their last season here anyways. We've already heard the whining for the past 3-4 years about them

They are far from perfect players. Defensively they struggle, offensively they're pretty good. As 3rd line players, the value they bring is far better than most if not all 3rd line players in the NHL

LOL what?

Reactions: MJ65

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I am not trying to win an argument. It just irks me that Bozak and JVR are still on the leafs and have yet to show any defensive accumen

Then why are you saying people just blamed Kessel? Your statement by any objective measure is false, no one has given Bozak and JVR a free pass here.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
He did, and he will do it to Nylander again if he keeps it up. I have been watching him like a hawk for two weeks because I had him in my fantasy league. He arguably has looked just as bad. His passes are being picked off, he has not wheeled around the entire opposition defense at all (once against Chicago). Matthews being so dominant thus far has cushioned him (from fans) noticing. I sure have. Ever since the game against the Devils, when he missed a pretty much gimme open net(he looked skyward and smacked his stick), he has looked off. Not as fast, not as engaged. The preseason he looked awesome. Now not so much. Has he been terrible? No. But has he looked as dominant and as good as he can be? No. Marner has been more noticeable because his whole line has not done anything (odd exception the PP). Mitch has been told to shoot more, and really no difference. Against MTL he could have walked down broadway and picked his corner on Price, instead he made a high risk pass that was picked off for an odd man rush. Has Mitch been terrible? Not exactly. But he has looked really slow, he is not creating (part of that is his line mates fault), his normal highlight reel moves, non-existent. That line kills my nerves in our zone especially. But against Montreal what I noticed is, Mitch fly's the zone (a la kessel) same with JVR and even Bozak. The defense does not have an outlet pass. Reminds me of the Wilson days. What I didnt like against NJ was, all offensive thinking, no attention to defense. What I did not like against Montreal was, all attention to defense, none to offense. Last year at our best we found that middle ground. We attack with speed, that is our strength.
To do that you need a good crisp neutral zone pass, or carry it in with blinding speed. We are not doing that. Last year bing, bang on the attack. If we dumped it in our guy was first, or won the battle. This year (esp last 2 games) they are not first, and are losing battles. I do not think Mitch stays on that line all game. I think he will find his legs, Babcock will put him back with his line-mates or move him with Kadri. Which if we see that maybe not a bad idea. I think Marleau has yet to hit his stride. A lot has to do with Komarov losing board battles (odd because on the PK Komarov is great).

I wouldnt mind seeing Marner with Kadri, at the same time I wouldn't mind seeing Brown back on that line and demote Komarov. His checking game is suited for the 4th line. The only tricky part is, it sounds like Babcock wants an offensive threat on all 4 lines, and Komarov is not it. This is why I think next season, Grundstrom will be that 4th winger. He is perfect for it. Big strong, offensive upside. You could even put him on the PP to stand in front and take away the goalies vision. Oh well, let this be a lesson to Mitch, and even though Nylander did not get demoted (yet) hopefully he sees this and goes, "better get my butt in gear."

Moral of the story. Do not let our wins and losses fool you, don not let our latest win fool you either. The guys (some) need to find that fire they had last year. The last 2 games have been really hard to watch.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Then why are you saying people just blamed Kessel? Your statement by any objective measure is false, no one has given Bozak and JVR a free pass here.

Dude I remember you giving bozak a free pass; and then there was the poster called "the mentalist? or somthing and then other posters in the past. I don't have time to dig up the past threads; but if I have time; I will dig it up and put a link here

EDIT: Nevermind; I can't find the old threads/posts; apparently migrating here all the posts/threads of the past were deleted. Oh well....

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Put Marner on a line with Matthews, and we're having this conversation about Willy right now instead.

Not so sure i agree. Nylander has managed to take steps since the start of last season to improve his defensive play and has become much more well rounded in that regard.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Dude I remember you giving bozak a free pass; and then there was the poster called "the mentalist? or somthing and then other posters in the past. I don't have time to dig up the past threads; but if I have time; I will dig it up and put a link here

EDIT: Nevermind; I can't find the old threads/posts; apparently migrating here all the posts/threads of the past were deleted. Oh well....

My position on Bozak has always been he's not as bad as people insinuate. I've criticized him this last week repeatedly, I just don't think it's fair to put all the blame on him. I also think he's putting in more effort this year but he still needs to be better.

You might find one poster maybe who thinks Bozak deserves a free pass but overwhelmingly he's been the most criticized player.

Find just one thread about Bozak that isn't filled with people criticizing him.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
My position on Bozak has always been he's not as bad as people insinuate. I've criticized him this last week repeatedly, I just don't think it's fair to put all the blame on him. I also think he's putting in more effort this year but he still needs to be better.

You might find one poster maybe who thinks Bozak deserves a free pass but overwhelmingly he's been the most criticized player.

Find just one thread about Bozak that isn't filled with people criticizing him.

I'll take the knee. Can't locate threads/posts from 2016 or before. When I search it gives me no result(s).

Whatever may be the case; one thing is pretty clear this team isn't going anywhere with Bozak+JVR unless a miracle happens where the "vets" start taking the harder match ups and shine or at least learn to play defensively

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I'll take the knee. Can't locate threads/posts from 2016 or before. When I search it gives me no result(s).

Whatever may be the case; one thing is pretty clear this team isn't going anywhere with Bozak+JVR unless a miracle happens where the "vets" start taking the harder match ups and shine or at least learn to play defensively

We're 4 and 1 with pretty strong underlying numbers, we've had bad goal tending (the defense obviously could be better by both the fwd's and defense) but Andersen has let in his share of a few softies as well. This team is capable of great things, I don't think Bozak and JVR will be here next season but I do think they will be part of an exciting playoff run and we're better off with them then without (for this year).

I desperately would like them to not play together but nothing any of us can do about that.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
It's funny how Babcock and company say that they are going to keep everyone accountable. But the only change so far this season is to move 4th line centres in and out and then demote Marner.

Maybe enforce what you say originally and stop handing out power play time to Bozak & JVR for their shoddy defense. And maybe actually hold them accountable for their play. Watch the driveby from Bozak on Drouin's goal saturday.

This just proves that people will see what they want to see, regardless of what actually happened on ice. May want to watch that play again, and try to figure out whose man Alzner was supposed to be.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
I think this is a blessing for Mitch. He is more suited to play with guys like Martin, Moore and Fehr as crazy as that sounds. All three of these guys like to hunt the puck and will get it for Marner. He can then thread passes towards the net which could equate to "garbage goals" in front of the net.

Reactions: Rogie and Eb

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
JVR and Bozak should also take notice. A shot across the bow so to speak
Babcock said today that that line wasn't going "the tie goes to vet" so in other words, he could have taken any of those three and put them down on the 4th line. It certainly is a shot. Mitch will respond, I wonder what happens if and when JVR and Bozak don't?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think this is a blessing for Mitch. He is more suited to play with guys like Martin, Moore and Fehr as crazy as that sounds. All three of these guys like to hunt the puck and will get it for Marner. He can then thread passes towards the net which could equate to "garbage goals" in front of the net.

Moore is half decent offensively. Martin is a waste of Marner's talent.

This will hopefully be short lived.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad