Line Combos: Leafs Practice Lines Today

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Marner is a good creative offensive player but let’s never confuse him with being able to play defense. He needs a center like O’Reilly.

You're right, defense is the issue so let's keep JVR and Bozak. Clearly defense would not be a problem if only we had more players in that mold.:biglaugh:

Reactions: MJ65

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Bozak and JvR are lost causes defensively, and likely gone after this season. Marner has good defensive upside, and will be here a long time, so it's worth teaching him, which is what Babs is doing here IMO.

The defensive effort is there for Marner, but he doesn't play well in a system defensively - he runs around too much and is constantly out of position. I doubt this demotion last more than a few games, my guess is it's mostly "listen to the coaching staff about where you're supposed to be in our end."

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Bozak and JvR are lost causes defensively, and likely gone after this season. Marner has good defensive upside, and will be here a long time, so it's worth teaching him, which is what Babs is doing here IMO.

The defensive effort is there for Marner, but he doesn't play well in a system defensively - he runs around too much and is constantly out of position. I doubt this demotion last more than a few games, my guess is it's mostly "listen to the coaching staff about where you're supposed to be in our end."

Wasn't the same message sent to Nylander as well?

Marner won't be there long.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Wasn't the same message sent to Nylander as well?

Marner won't be there long.

yep, its a good thing if Marner learns like Nylander learned. Babcock isn't asking for selke players out of these guys just wants a fire lit under their asses

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
You're right, defense is the issue so let's keep JVR and Bozak. Clearly defense would not be a problem if only we had more players in that mold.:biglaugh:

I agree but Marner is also a part of the problem. Babcock agrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It would be good to have 2 and 3Cs that could kill penalties.
Yes if we keep Nylander at wing with Matthews, I would love a center for Marner in the Backes/Anisimov mold. Then another Brown in the lineup + Kappy addition. Add 1 top 4 D, bring to a boil and compete for the Cup.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If Bunny's can stop 30 goals... maybe cats can score them?

larocque821.jpg
I'm pretty sure I have that card somewhere in storage.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Makes me sad to think about what I did with my Gretzky card.

My bike sounded like a motorbike though. So that was cool

That card year (bunnys card) is around when Kurri, Hawerchuck, Fuhr, Goulet were all rookies and I have all of them :)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Marner isn't a bad defensive player. The instincts are there. He just needs to be reeled in a bit. He's just been sloppy to start the year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Marner isn't a bad defensive player. The instincts are there. He just needs to be reeled in a bit. He's just been sloppy to start the year.

I agree he has the instincts I think he needs to learn to reign it in a bit, he goes skating around the entire d zone instead of taking the RW position on defence. He skates out of position which then throws the other leafs out of position. He means well but just needs to be smarter about it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->