Leafs Power Play

How should Leafs run their PP units

• Total voters

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
If we're splitting two good units, Tavares was excellent on the left half wall when Mathews was injured.
Things have dried up for JT lately down low.

Nylander and Marner are sort of interchangeable too. Marner's faster paced, but they're close in shot and function. I think Nylander's shot's being slightly over-rated, but oh well.

Reilly Gardiner are pretty interchangeable.

That leaves down low and middle man. Marleau Kapanen for down low and Kadri Johnson for middle man.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
My opinion is they need a potent shot from the point. With Rielly sitting up there, teams are begging him to throw his muffin at their shin pads which lets them focus 100% on Matthews and Marner. Gardiner on the #1 unit would be an improvement for his slapper but realistically, they need to address the point shot at some point by bringing someone in who can punish teams for letting them tee it up.
Gardiner is dumb as a stump and should be nowhere near the power play unless you enjoy watching him be the cause of a shorthanded goal.

Oct 18, 2010
In general they need to put the puck in the net instead of passing so much. And until the bottom 2 lines start playing well, they need 2 units.

Matthews and Tavares need to swap spots once in a while. 34 is good around the net, is strong with great handeye and 91 can shoot and pass the puck.

Ultimately stack the PP, put Nylander in the slot where he can quickly put the puck on net or get it to matthews. Him and marner can swap places too.

They have one bread and butter play. 2016 was Matthews <-> Nylander across the slot. 2017 was Marner sifting the puck to the net for JVR to clean or for Bozak to tap in. 2018 is cross seam to Matthews.

Considering the talent on the ice the they rely on one weapon. Marner -> Matthews. It's not even a one timer which would be a lot more effective. The other players are barely involved anymore. Same thing happened last year when other teams shut down the Matthews/Nylander play.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
First PP unit should play one minute and thirty seconds consisting of:

Rielly at left point with Marner at right point.

Tavares at left wing; Matthews at center; and Nylander at right wing.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Cover and press Matthews and Marner and the PP bogs down.

PP#1 becoming too predictable and thus ineffective.

and with no point shot (slapper or wrister) threat that PP is neutred with both kadri/tavares absolutely being wasted.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
Earlier in the year, when the PP wasn't working (like I remember when they had 2 in a row without scoring) Marner and Matthews employed a switch where they switched into their off-sides.

This generated movement on the PP and got the pk scrambling and changed things up.

What happened to that?

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
I remember hughson saying they were 1 for their last 18 prior to the Leafs 4 PPs. They must be 1/22. I don’t have the numbers in front of me but this has to motivate the coaching staff to make some adjustments.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Change PP1: Move Marner to Rielly's spot. Tavares to Marner's spot. And Nylander to Tavares's spot. Yes, no defenseman is a little scary. Rielly's shooting however is awful. Let's see Nylander use those new muscles of his.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad